Handlebar opinion.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
disposable

Handlebar opinion.

Post by disposable » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 am

Original owner of my ride put motocross bars on it, and I do not have the original bars. I have an extensive background in mountain bikes and BMX, so the feel of the bars is not unfamiliar to me. That said, would the reach and sweep of the original bars make for a more comfortable ride, or improve handling? I will not be doing any extreme or excessive off-roading.
2014 Gear Up
previous-
2009 Triumph Bonneville
Classcode 03-K64, Firefly

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Handlebar opinion.

Post by VWK75S » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 am

I like the stock bars.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by on2wheels52 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 am

I think KLR bars are a small improvement. Plus they were free :lol:
'10 Patrol
DL650 (hacked) WR250R plus a few old crocks

Hogmaine
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Hogmaine » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:11 am

The Ural is the only bike that I like the stock bars on so far. All my other bikes have had risers and such just to get close to the ergos of the Ural. I suppose a little rise of the handle bars on the Ural might be even better.

I use http://cycle-ergo.com/
and setup my other bikes to get Ural angles.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Leonardo da Vinci
2017 Africa Twin DCT
2008 Patrol
2016 Versys 650 LT (for sale)
2011 Gear Up

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:37 am

We are all built differently and are comfortable in different positions. I think your best bet is to sit on the seat and put your hands where you would want them. Consider clearance to the hack windshield if you have one. Also keep in mind that if you go far from the OEM size, you'll be messing with wires, cables/hoses to accommodate the new bars.

A key point that I think should be considered is the position of your hands. By that I mean the angle at which they are twisted relative to your forearms. A natural position for my hands is with them at about a 45 deg angle to horizontal. My Ural bars put them at more of a negative 10 deg angle. I've not experienced any discomfort. But for me a long distance ride is maybe 100 miles.

The other consideration is the bend of your elbows. Do you want the straight arm , with your bent a bit at the waist and your arms outstretched in front of you or do you want to sit upright with your elbows at about a 120 deg angle?

Only way to decide is to sit on the bike and see where you want to be. Then shop bars. And all this is easier said than done because you can't walk into any bike shop anymore and find a big selection of bars on the wall. You'll need to use the dimensions given on-line to figure out what you want/need.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 am

VWK75S wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 am
I like the stock bars.
John
+1 Never felt the need to mess with them. I'm about 5'10", taller people sometimes get risers.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm ok with stock but after a longer ride i do get wrist aches. But i think thats just me and the roads i ride. 5'-11" and no risers. 8)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 pm

VWK75S wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 am
I like the stock bars.
John
Ditto, FWIW.

8)
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:58 pm

They have been fine for me. I had some long days in the saddle (10 hours) and no issues.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am

I run stock with risers...... except I turned my mounts backwards. On my 08 this brings everything up and back towards me. Same thing could be accomplished with a set of Rox riser (maybe roxy, don’t remember).

I’m 5.11
09D207D0-B26B-442D-A59B-A232F02E1570.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Speedbump
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Speedbump » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 pm

20190519_115438.jpg
I have the ROX 5" risers and motocross bars and love them. The stock for me was too much of a swept angle. YMMV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn³
2015 Retro.

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Hogmaine wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:11 am
The Ural is the only bike that I like the stock bars on so far. All my other bikes have had risers and such just to get close to the ergos of the Ural. I suppose a little rise of the handle bars on the Ural might be even better.
Sounds similar to my setup. Bad shoulders, so I moved the stock bars back and up an inch or so using Rox risers. Only complaint is for whatever reason, the bars can move a bit if I force them hard, which sometimes happens as I dismount and use the bars for help pushing out of the seat. If I get bored, maybe rough up the insides of the riser clamps to improve the grip - there's still plenty of adjustment available, but I was really reefing on the bolts last time and don't want to f'up the risers.

PS - had another issue mounting a bar end mirror on the left side. The spreader that fits inside the bar wouldn't adjust out far enough, so I did give that a couple wraps of duct tape and a bit of gorilla glue to firm that up. Apparently some differences in the tubing dimension, so the stock bars are NOT a standard 7/8" as you might expect. Not mine anyway - maybe just some "monday" production?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:21 pm
I'm ok with stock but after a longer ride i do get wrist aches. But i think thats just me and the roads i ride. 5'-11" and no risers. 8)
Aching wrists is pretty common on bikes, but mostly due to incorrect angles on the bars. Old trick - sit the seat, get comfy, then reach out with your eyes closed and your hands should stop right about the same place every time. THAT's where the grips need to be. You'll also want to adjust the levers so your wrists stay straight when you rest your hands on the grips and levers. Mine are actually adjusted to different angles as my right wrist has "issues". Anyway, so far, so good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Wide bars on a sidecar tug = easier steering. The stock Ural bars on my 02 had the wrong angle for my wrists - kind of like hedge trimmers. I ended up using a flatter style bar similar to what I was used to on my solo bikes - I'd describe as a British bend. They are "Bikemaster" brand 7/8" Superbike Bars.
I use an early set of URAL PULLBACK Bar Holders so the bars sit on my side of the friction Steering Damper. They feel right to me. Some of the BMW /2 sidecar tugs used bars with a support between the rise, but using 1 piece eyelet pull backs wouldn't work unless the cross support was removable. My present bars are fairly wide - but still allow room for the hack windshield to be used. & THEY ARE CHROME.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Tried MX bars, but didn't like them, felt like I was always reaching for them. The OE bars are a little less than ideal for my wrists when adjusted where I like it otherwise, but not enough to make me want something else.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70