OK so I'm an idjuit - dead battery

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Harbinger
Party Member
Party Member

OK so I'm an idjuit - dead battery

Post by Harbinger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am

Well... The dealer thinks I may have left the heated grips on and he may be correct in that. Went to start the bike a few days ago and it went whirrr, click click click. The good news is I do have a good marine battery with jumper cables and all the connections you can want. The bad news is I have no clue what to do with. I can ride, I'm actually very good at it. Maintenance yeah if it's not a computer, server, firewall etc I'm useless. I've googled charging a Ural battery and am coming up sadly pretty empty. Any help especially the kind with a picture or video would be most appreciated. I can arrange towing the rig to the dealership but hope to avoid.

So any help in either jumping or charging the battery is great.

2019 GU. I tried kick starting and think I can close but I have the left floorboard which I think may get in the way of a full stroke with the kick starter.
Cascade Green 2019 Ural GU.
Downtown Toronto, ON

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: OK so I'm an idjuit - dead battery

Post by windmill » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:44 am

Charging and jump starting is a fairly universal process. Nothing unique to a Ural.
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/jump ... e-battery/
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Put a power socket on it, then you can plug a charger in whenever you want easy-peasy, no risk shorting battery terminals etc., also you can plug other things in that run off 12V while you're away, phone chargers and wotnot. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Harbinger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am
2019 GU. I tried kick starting and think I can close but I have the left floorboard which I think may get in the way of a full stroke with the kick starter.
Kick starting the EFI's is more awkward than the carbies, you need to spin the motor fast enough so that the ECU(s) notice the engine is turning.

Also the ECU(s) and fuel pump need battery power to work properly so further compromised. Some ECU's have a low battery Voltage threshold below which they won't function. Not sure about the Keihin system TBH.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

rivers

Post by rivers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:46 pm

If you can get the jumper cable clamps fitted on the mc battery you can jump from a car, marine batt etc. Just DO NOT do it from a running car/boat though. Charging system on the 'jump from' vehicle is too much for the mc system. I've got store bought mc jumper cables for a mc. Made by Yhusa(sp?) The same co. that makes batteries. It has smaller clamps and a smaller ga cables. I hang fused female Deltran SAE pigtails for Deltran battery tenders on all my bikes. For jumping from a static car batt it's easy to make up jumper cables with conventional clamps at one end and the male SAE plug at the other. The Deltran pigtail comes fused with 7.5A fuse and have never had a problem using it for jump starting a mc batt from a "static" car batt. Once you get the motor lit go ride it at road speeds (35-40mph/2000+rpm) for a good 10 miles/half hour, or so before shutting it off again. I've also got an old school automatic car battery charger that you can set the charge rate on. (2-6A). Use 2A max. I've also gotten away with "once" charging a serious dead mc batt with a battery tender. NOT RECOMMENDED! You risk burning up the tender. I was in a bind that day and I got lucky. ;)
Your static marine batt if fully charged will jump your bike just fine to get your bike started...if you can safely snake the jumper cables onto the mc batt. For safety sake, remember when dealing with battery cables: "NEG cable first off/last on".
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm

If you’re not gong to ride in the next day or so, and want to skip jumping the battery, then buy a “Battery Tender Jr.” Easy to hook up to you battery and you leave it connected for use next time.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Harbinger
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Harbinger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks guys, as always quick responses and good advice. I'm going to figure out tomorrow what I'm doing but imagine I will be able to get the rig started. MY only concern with jump starting is I read someone on here there is a certain part/function you can really screw up?
Downtown Toronto, ON

rivers

Post by rivers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Harbinger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 pm
MY only concern with jump starting is I read someone on here there is a certain part/function you can really screw up?
Yeah true I think it's the $$$ CDI in the bikes ignition system. It's a non-issue if the jumper batt is static.
Joe
014 GU

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Harbinger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 pm
Thanks guys, as always quick responses and good advice. I'm going to figure out tomorrow what I'm doing but imagine I will be able to get the rig started. MY only concern with jump starting is I read someone on here there is a certain part/function you can really screw up?
Yes you can blow the computer. ECU which in turn drives the CDI portion (same box these days?)

The Arc/Spark is the culprit. Either use the charger and don't put the negative clamp on the negative Ural battery post.

If car is the source for jump, as noted, OFF engine on it. Nothing gained and remote possible loss (I have never seen or had it occur but I know of one person who did so yes it can happen).

Battery charger is better yet, its all passive (off) until you turn it one (or plug it in) I do recommend the Anti Gravity Zero Start or the like with the permanent connection. Cycle battery is small compared to what it needs to spin and easily go dead.

Crank starting is an iffy thing (adn out for me as my back won't tolerate any jam, sudden stop etc)
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:00 am

I have one of these and works the treat if the battery cells aren't completely shot

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/m ... 00-lithium

I have 6 bikes in the shop counting the ural rig and this is really just worth its weight in gold
4 of the bikes have lithium shorai batteries, 1 has AGM glass mat and one conventional lead acid.
It comes with a fused pig tail that you install so you can just plug it right in to the bike.
On the ural it is cable tied to the rear near the pusher tire on the left/near or clutch side
2014 Ural Patrol

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:35 pm

One time I left the spotlight on and it was dead flat in the morning. Rather than hooking it up to a charger for a 1/2 hour or so, I jump started it with my wifes car.
I hooked it up with the car running and let it charge for 5 minutes, then started it up without issue. Considering that Urals use a car alternator, and how modern charging systems work, I don't see any issue using a running car to jump a Ural.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Harbinger
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Harbinger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Next stupid question - Do I need to remove the seat to get to the battery for a jump or to charge ? I removed the side panel but it look a little tight. If so is there an easy way to do it? Looks to be a little bit of a pain compared to other bikes I've owned.
Downtown Toronto, ON

rivers

Post by rivers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah, it's crowded in the batt area! An 019 should have a removable top frame/seat plate under the seat. I strongly suggest while you're in there to install a fused SAE pigtail for a battery tender.
Joe
014 GU

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:52 pm

For future reference...

The female Powerlet outlet in the sidecar serves two purposes:
1. 12V out to power accessories such as a heated vest, or a charging connection for a cell phone
2. Power in to charge the motorcycle battery when connecting to a battery tender.

When necessary, adapters make the connections dead easy to manage. E.g.,
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Testing for parasitic draw.
https://www.google.com/search?q=testing ... e&ie=UTF-8
Last edited by Lofty on Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 pm

windmill wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:35 pm
One time I left the spotlight on and it was dead flat in the morning. Rather than hooking it up to a charger for a 1/2 hour or so, I jump started it with my wifes car.
I hooked it up with the car running and let it charge for 5 minutes, then started it up without issue. Considering that Urals use a car alternator, and how modern charging systems work, I don't see any issue using a running car to jump a Ural.
With just a battery you have about 12.5 volt.

With the car running you have close to 15. Sparks is worse. Add in the car running vs a battery feeding one the size of a cycle and its a higher chance of an issue with no upside.

My favorite one is about the guy who jumped off the 100 story build and as he went by the 50th floor a guy leans out and asks how its going

So far, so good he says.

So, its about percentage. Very few ECU fry with a jump - when one does its very costly.

Minimize the risk.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems