Is there a more modern service manual?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
1105fred

Is there a more modern service manual?

Post by 1105fred » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:37 pm

I really did search first. Is there a more modern service & repair manual than the one for 2001-2006 750 engine (with orange ural on cover)? That one I can download. Do I just use that one and go to YouTube for all the 2014 and up modern bits? Fuel injection, etc? Am I missing something here? Thanks. :)
Western NC
2015 cT battleship grey
2018 BMW Urban GS
Many years, many bikes.

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Is there a more modern service manual?

Post by rivers » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Never yet seen one for the fuelies era(014+) but there is a slightly later shop manual from 06-012. Have a paper one and one on a flash drive. Flash drive came from Heindl's, paper one came from some other Ural dealer. IMA is really slow about updating shop manuals and none of them as good as other brands factory shop manuals. Call a reputable dealer, they'll know if a later manual is avail.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 pm

IF THEY EVER COME OUT WITH A 02 "HAYNES MANUAL" - I'll buy one.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:57 pm

The comb bound one with clear cover and orange Ural was what I got with my 2011. I think that was also the last year they included the yellow "Driving a Sidecar" manual with the standard documentation.

This one's actually kind of handy to keep in the kit. If you're not willing to learn to read Russian, it has really nice pictures. <G>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:28 pm

Last summer a guy I know brought a fellow from the UK to my place so he could see my shop. Just happened he really liked my Gear Up and we had a nice talk. He said his wife works for Haynes Manuals and I asked him to put in a request to get a manual for Urals. He said he'd bring it up as they enjoy special/unique equipment. I'll probably never know the results but hope some day to see a decent manual.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 am

I have used the "haynes book of lies" as they are affectionately known across the pond on the triumph forums pretty successfully over the years on a wide range of motorcycles and cars....
with the haynes and a factory svc manual you can do about anything to any vehicle....
2014 Ural Patrol

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 am

My guess is that the Haynes people base much of their products on the factory service manuals, so as long as Ural does not produce a current service manual we are unlikely to see a Haynes manual
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 am
I have used the "haynes book of lies" as they are affectionately known across the pond...
With the haynes and a factory svc manual you can do about anything to any vehicle...
Yes. I've been using Haynes manuals for many moons now, and the matter of recurring information gaps in the manuals is an open secret. These gaps can manifest themselves most notoriously in the matter of removal instructions.

E.g., it's not that uncommon to be instructed to remove a panel, etc. to gain access to the important bits that you want to work on. The issue here is that sometimes the manual will provide little to no guidance on what may be a rather complex removal process. Thus the recurring recommendation to purchase a factory service manual to bridge the gaps. This can be frustrating when (a) the owner reasonably expects the Haynes manual to be a proxy for the service manual, which (b) is usually rather expensive.

I have also read online comments regarding blatant inaccuracies in the Haynes manual for a particular model of vehicle. I've been fortunate that I've not experienced this particular issue, personally. The opposite has occurred, actually: there are a few known errors in the factory service manual for my Suzuki DR650. One of the mistakes concerns the inclusion of an incorrect bolt pattern and torque values to be used when reinstalling the cylinder head. Get that job wrong, as a few owners have done (thus making the manual's error known to other 650 owners), and you might want to take a break to shed a tear or three.

The foregoing has caused me to vet every non-minor job through the Interwebs, prior to me turning the first wrench, so that I have the peace of mind that I want. And, since it is the Interwebs, it's incumbent to separate the wheat from the chaff. Through the benefit of my own experience, I know that there are YouTube videos that are nothing more than examples of what not to do, despite what the content provider claims to know and say. A few of them should have their toolboxes welded shut and their posting privileges revoked.

Don't let your guard down. Ever. :wink:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Haynes used to actually get a vehicle they wanted to produce a manual for, and strip it down and do the various jobs, with photos. In fact that was their proud boast, I seem to remember, that they actually did for real what they're telling you to do in the book. However – as an example, my previous car was quite a rare model, only in production for 4 years. There was never a Haynes book for it, apparently because, so I read, not enough of the cars were made to make it worth doing one. I suspect it may be the same case for Ural, their annual output numbers are not high enough. (?) Possibly.

From what I've seen and heard lately Haynes are a shadow of their former selves, with too much "refer to dealer" references. Not surprising really, some of the modern systems, wiring and electronics are horrendouly complex and beyond the home mechanic, who is also for example disuaded from meddling with brakes by virtue of not being able to get seals overhaul kits and suchlike.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")