How to insert plug wires into coil??

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Marco
Party Member
Party Member

How to insert plug wires into coil??

Post by Marco » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 am

Hello again,
I am going to replace the ignition system and have a new coil and wires.
I am installing the mini processor hockey puck ignition with the LED light. I can see the pins inside the wire insertion holes but there is a smaller diameter plastic fitting inside. I am assuming the wire must need outer cover trimmed so it will fit into this fitting and onto the pin before tightening down the screw on cap.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Marco
2012 Gear Up "Rhonda (help me) Anichka"
19,000 Km

"My mother never breast fed me, she told me she only liked me as a friend."
Rodney Dangerfield

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: How to insert plug wires into coil??

Post by on2wheels52 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm

It's been a while since I messed with mine but I think that rather than a pin in the coil it is more of a pointed screw. Insert the plug wire in the hole and then turn it CW until it bottoms out. Perhaps put a bit of silicone to seal it and then push the boot down (we did put the boot on before inserting the cable). Someone correct if that isn't the way it goes.
'10 Patrol
DL650 (hacked) WR250R plus a few old crocks

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Haven't done it on the Ural, but my vote is for the screw it till it cain't move no more method. Fairly common way to attach coil wires. Instead of silicone though, I'd just use a small dab of dialectic grease.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

xpatriot
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by xpatriot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Remove cap w hole, insert wire into cap and then press onto the pin (causing the wire to expand slightly) making sure of good contact between pin and wire.

Screw cap onto coil, it will now hold it tightly.
2001 Patrol with ‘03 Wolf motor “The Beast of the East”

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:01 pm

The screw-in method I'm familiar with; there is another as mentioned, just a spike, the lead is held in by a screw-on plastic cap which contains a rubber grommet or somesuch — the grommet grips the lead and pushes it in as you screw the cap on and locks it in there.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Worth mentioning - with the screw in types, helps to get a starter hole going with a small nail pressed into the center of the conductor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.