Oil seal dimensions for reverse shifter shaft

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Snakeoil
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Oil seal dimensions for reverse shifter shaft

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:24 pm

I searched here and could not find anything. My aging memory tells me that the reverse shifter shaft seal is an oddball in that either the OD or the ID is a fractional metric size. Example would be 10.5mm instead of 10mm or 11mm. Mine is leaking again. I think I got the last one from Terry. I was considering putting a standard seal in place that is a half mm undersize. The shaft does not spin so no issues with excessive wear and it might just stop the weeping out of that seal.

So, does anyone have the OD, ID and thickness dimensions handy? I realize that the info is printed on the seal. But my small puller is 2 hours away from where the bike and I are and the shifter is in the way of being able to read it. I figure I'll get the seal first so I have it when I pull the lever and replace the seal.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

cateyetech

Re: Oil seal dimensions for reverse shifter shaft

Post by cateyetech » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Hey SO
No expert here :P
The spare seal I have "for our 750" is a
NAK 12-25-7
hope this helps
:foilhead:
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
2000 Patrol Teh Урал
"If you have an Apple, I have an Apple and we exchange our apples, we each will have an Apple." "But if you have an idea, I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each will have two ideas."
fbeurne EST motorcycle forum France

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Vans AMAZING vanishing post :lol: :lol: :lol:
:P
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
2000 Patrol Teh Урал
"If you have an Apple, I have an Apple and we exchange our apples, we each will have an Apple." "But if you have an idea, I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each will have two ideas."
fbeurne EST motorcycle forum France

John B

Post by John B » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 pm

image.jpeg
I attached a picture of an old seal that I replaced
The size is on the seal 25.1 X 11.5 X 7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks guys. That second one is what I was expecting. It could be they simply moved to the 11mm ID for convenience. I wonder if they changed the shaft size. My guess would be no. If anyone happens to have a 750 tranny with the shifter removed, I'd be curious what the OD of the reverses shifter shaft is. I tried to measure mine, but not quite enough clearance for the caliper with the lever in place.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".