Sidecar questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Malamute

Re: Sidecar questions

Post by Malamute » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:37 pm

Thank you. The reverse gear and sidecar triple trees both look useful. I was already looking at small ATV winches for times I may not be able to move it easily backwards or onto a trailer.

I can appreciate that buying something all together would likely be more economical for most people, Id be changing something though. Its either going to be a major changes to the bike, or adapting a sidecar to a bike I have and like. It could end up costing as much or more changing a bike around, like a full dresser electra glide, into something Id like to ride. Its not even that I just want a harley, but a particular type and style of harley. Sort of like like when one wants an 1886 Winchester 22" short rifle, shotgun butt with checkered steel butt plate, full magazine, straight grip stock and Lyman No 38 or 56 receiver sight, nothing else is quite going to satisfy that urge. Marlins wont, Mossbergs wont, even other models of Winchesters or styles of 1886s wont.

The ural sidecars are quite similar to the older style harley sidecars, meaning I really like how they look and match the bikes (harleys) well. They also have better suspension and brakes than the old harley sidecars, have several features I like, and cost substantially less for complete rigs. So far they look like a good way to get to my desired end result. It will require some work, but I dont think its going to be insurmountable.

I was always fascinated by log cabins. Read books, looked at old cabins, took pictures. At one point I needed a place to live, where I was staying was owned by an out of state friend that decided to sell the place. I looked at a couple pictures, had the general idea of what I wanted, and built a cabin from a pile of logs. Its sort of a joke, but I said "how hard can it be?". It really wasnt all that hard other than hard work. The mystique of log building was more of a challenge than the actual work. The point being, if one has the desire, and some basics, you can generally get things accomplished. In todays age of information, the resources for learning are more available than in the past. I think a Ural sidecar on a harley low rider would be a great combination, so I think I will have to make it happen if i want one. :)

Snakeoil
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm

I thought of mentioning the possibility of buying a rig already put together. But I held off because there are probably equal numbers of properly married rigs and cob jobs. But I get the feeling now that you'd be able to spot a cob job.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Malamute

Post by Malamute » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 pm

Thanks. Not having seen one in person up close yet, its still likely Id recognize cobbled up stuff. Ive been looking at pics with any detail to study also. I think good adapter mounts can be fabricated without too much problem. I need to study how the swing arm harleys mounted the sidecars. I have a general idea, but not in detail yet. I may be able to get some of the harley mounting hardware and adapt it to the Ural sidecar frame system.

Ive seen pics of one sportster with a Ural sidecar, and theres probably more that I dont recognize right off as Ural because of the similarity to the older harley sidecars.

At this point, if I cant find a suitable Ural sidecar alone, I may buy a complete ural bike with sidecar that the bike can be used solo or the bike parted out and split them up to get the sidecar. It was mentioned upthread a time or two and seems like reasonable advice. I'm OK with slow motion projects. This will take some time to get together.

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Malamute wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 pm

At this point, if I cant find a suitable Ural sidecar alone, I may buy a complete ural bike with sidecar that the bike can be used solo or the bike parted out and split them up to get the sidecar. It was mentioned upthread a time or two and seems like reasonable advice. I'm OK with slow motion projects. This will take some time to get together.
If that's Plan A, I would suggest a Ural with tele forks. Running a tubbed Ural with LL forks with the tub removed is an evil handling 2 wheeler. Pretty twitchy handling. Doable but with a high angst factor. Plus Ural solo's are a really limited market so hard/slow to sell. If time isn't a major concern Mr Cob in the Blackmarket sub forum has a beautiful factory Ural Utility Box for sale at a great price. Be ideal for hauling a big dog (or anything else). You'll still need to come up with a tub chassis. Mr Cobs is cheaper and nicer than mine. Worth checking into. It's a beaut! :thumbsup:
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."