2017 Speedometer...

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
harryball
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

2017 Speedometer...

Post by harryball » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 pm

After 3 years and 20k miles I find myself a "newb" again with a new 2017 cT we got for my wife.

Anyway, the speedometer is toast and dealer told me the rig MUST go to a dealer to get it replaced, they won't ship me one.

So, do they set the mileage on the new one to match the old one? Or do I start over at zero miles?
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Happytrails
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: 2017 Speedometer...

Post by Happytrails » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm guessing it will zero out? Hoping that your 2017 is an updated one. Had a chance to see a 2017 vs 2018 speedo and the led lighting was very different.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm

A replacement speedo can have it's miles set to match actual miles when installed, then it's locked and can't be changed.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:46 pm

How far from the dealer?
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:34 pm

I don’t know about getting it fixed... you’re the only Ural rider to ever go over 100 mph.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
80,000 km and counting

harryball

Post by harryball » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Nearest dealer is a pain to get to, hate driving up there. Preferred dealer refused to ship and let me replace. Even offered to ship him this one first. Seems odd to me.

Just a pita really, it will cost me near an entire day to go up there and back and I just don't have that day for something that is so trivial.

It is currently stuck at about 5 mph and all the lights take turns going on and off. Guy looked at it today while we were out and it was doing 50mph parked. He asked about how hard it was going to be to get parts and get it fixed etc... Told him that so far, that's the only failure and should be an easy swap, but they refused to ship parts for exchange so it will likely continue to not work for several more weeks until I get the time to take it in.
---
Robert

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:20 pm

harryball wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 pm
...the speedometer is toast and dealer told me the rig MUST go to a dealer to get it replaced, they won't ship me one.
Prior to buying my rig, the dealer agreed that he'd ship to me any warranty replacement parts that I'd be willing to install myself.

The foregoing was a pre-purchase question that I wanted settled, prior to deciding whether or not to proceed with the sale. I had to balance the idea of performing my own warranty work with the effort required to transport the rig 100 miles to the selling dealer.

Are the "nearest" and "preferred" dealers separate entities? If so, see if the nearest one will play ball and ship a new speedometer to you. I'd ask both of them, or at least the latter, if it's their policy, or Ural Corporate, that they be in possession of the rig for speedometer (or other warranty item) replacement. If it's their personal policy, I'd likely dig in my heels and see what happens.

Good luck here.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

fpk977
Comrade
Comrade

Post by fpk977 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:29 pm

In many States they have to set the new speedo mileage so it reflects actual mileage for DMV/Title issues. After it's older they (DMV) stop caring about the mileage. So just saying it's not the dealers fault in many States, their just trying to obey the law. 2 cents
2017 cT Terra-Cotta "SHOPPING CART"
U.S Navy vet 1976-1982
Retired Law Enforcement [very retired!]
9/11 NYC Response Team
Fan of Hops & Barley

Franco

Daisy Cutter

Post by Daisy Cutter » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 am

I just had to replace mine about 100 miles ago. My dealer was made aware of the problem, he got the new speedo on the way and when it arrived I went and picked it up. I'm only about 50 miles from him. I brought the speedo home and installed it myself. Before starting the rig for the first time I went through the program sequence and made sure all the settings were correct. The only change I had to make was the wheel size, At that time I was able to set the mileage to match the old one. After I stated the rig and rode it to make sure the new speedo worked I went back into the settings and was not given the option to change the odometer.

I actually had to wait several months to get a new speedo. Often times if the needle got hung up, when i shut the bike off and turned the switch back on, letting the speedo cycle before starting it, the speedo would work for a while. When that finally stopped working I used the digital readout and just checked my trip meter periodically.

The new speedo will have much brighter led indicators which is nice. You can actually csee them in the sunlight.

You should give Lonnie at Lake Guntersville Powersports a call. He has always taken care of me on warranty claims and might be able to help you out.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Nowadays, the warranty handling is not so simple. There is a warranty insurance company involved so must play by their rules. Yep, think both sides are finding that situation a bit sucky.
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:26 am

harryball wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm
Nearest dealer is a pain to get to, hate driving up there. Preferred dealer refused to ship and let me replace. Even offered to ship him this one first. Seems odd to me.

Just a pita really, it will cost me near an entire day to go up there and back and I just don't have that day for something that is so trivial.

It is currently stuck at about 5 mph and all the lights take turns going on and off. Guy looked at it today while we were out and it was doing 50mph parked. He asked about how hard it was going to be to get parts and get it fixed etc... Told him that so far, that's the only failure and should be an easy swap, but they refused to ship parts for exchange so it will likely continue to not work for several more weeks until I get the time to take it in.
yeah you definitely need to get a explanation on their shipping policy. maybe because its a legal recording device? either way need to explain,IMO :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

harryball

Post by harryball » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:29 pm

I am trying to rebuild (or build) a reasonable relationship with my "local" dealer. I'm going to give it one more shot. They have agreed to let me bring them the old Speedo and send the new one home with me when I drop off my M70/Retro which needs a new rear brake line and rear brake bracket etc...

My wife's rig has been doing great despite a non-functional speedo. I only managed to put 20 miles on my new M70 and it's been sitting there. I hope the parts arrive soon and I can get it up there for a good going over and finally get me on the road.
---
Robert

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 am

harryball wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:29 pm
I am trying to rebuild (or build) a reasonable relationship with my "local" dealer. I'm going to give it one more shot. They have agreed to let me bring them the old Speedo and send the new one home with me when I drop off my M70/Retro which needs a new rear brake line and rear brake bracket etc...

My wife's rig has been doing great despite a non-functional speedo. I only managed to put 20 miles on my new M70 and it's been sitting there. I hope the parts arrive soon and I can get it up there for a good going over and finally get me on the road.
Just remember, our local dealer is a unique one. Was a time, long ago, I would not walk into his shop. Things are different now, lot less stress since shedding BMW, MV Agusta and their new bike customers. Some of BMW's recent recalls were beyond stressful for dealers. I've known him ~40 years, took almost 20 to develop a relationship. He's been bit hard many, many times, had some whacks on the head whilst racing sidecars (hence memory issues now, will take him years of frequent visits before he will remember your name) and can be REALLY hard to get to know. Current shop staff is pretty sharp. Lead mechanic is young, but appears to be learning the Ural way fast. Poor bastard even wants one. One of the guys there knew way too many folks I hung out with back in the day (really gonna hate telling him they are all dead next time I go up there).

I swear, when that little dog that lives with John (her name is Corndog and is John's buddy. Does not like mean people!) got out and hit by a train, the dude changed. I've never seen anyone put that much (I am not talking money, but he did that too, lots of it.) into saving a dogs life. Says a lot about a person from way deep inside. He's done the same for some people, but I am not allowed to talk about that... will leave that there.
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

solo1966
Party Member
Party Member

Post by solo1966 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 am

Daisy Cutter wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 am
I just had to replace mine about 100 miles ago. My dealer was made aware of the problem, he got the new speedo on the way and when it arrived I went and picked it up. I'm only about 50 miles from him. I brought the speedo home and installed it myself. Before starting the rig for the first time I went through the program sequence and made sure all the settings were correct. The only change I had to make was the wheel size, At that time I was able to set the mileage to match the old one. After I stated the rig and rode it to make sure the new speedo worked I went back into the settings and was not given the option to change the odometer.

I actually had to wait several months to get a new speedo. Often times if the needle got hung up, when i shut the bike off and turned the switch back on, letting the speedo cycle before starting it, the speedo would work for a while. When that finally stopped working I used the digital readout and just checked my trip meter periodically.

The new speedo will have much brighter led indicators which is nice. You can actually csee them in the sunlight.

You should give Lonnie at Lake Guntersville Powersports a call. He has always taken care of me on warranty claims and might be able to help you out.
Lonnie is a great guy, he does my work on my Ural. Always been helpful.
:foilhead: Love my GOD,country,and fear my government,2017 GU

harryball

Post by harryball » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Sam at BlueMoon let me know the new Speedo has shipped. The brake parts came in etc... so we are scheduling both rigs to go up the same day (we're riding up) and let them do the work while we wait. Since this will complete the break-in <b>and to avoid any future warranty quibbling about if the break-in service was done right or if you'd let a dealer do it etc...</b> I'm going to have them do the first break-in service on the M70.

That said... $450 for the break-in service? Wow.
---
Robert