Potential Newbie in Tampa, FL

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Potential Newbie in Tampa, FL

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:41 pm

fpk977 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:59 pm
Welcome from another new old guy (60)! Count me in on the meet and greet. My only advice would be to buy from Holopaw Gene, old school dealer, no pressure and his mech. Kenny is top shelf. looking forward to you all jumping from that fence! :cheers:
At 61 you need to be the Sargent of arms :boogie: If you all haven't looked up the basic maintence stuff, oil and spline lubing valve adjustments etc ,now is a good time. would assume some or maybe all might want to have your dealer do this stuff, but its really easy and i personally enjoy touchy feely time with my Ural. besides maintence issues make great Ural conversation. :cheers: ( looking forward to seeing what you guys decide to do, keep the forum up to date.) :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

snowymonkey
Party Member
Party Member

Post by snowymonkey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:16 pm

I’ve been reading up on all the maintenance stuff. I enjoy doing my own wrenching ( to a point ). Should remind me of my ACVW days. I’ve owned, built, or worked on more VW’s than I can remember. My avatar pic is one of my favorite builds. Tore it down to the pan and built it back up to what you see in the pic. I miss that one a lot. It was a blast. Wouldn’t go over 55.... but it was a ton of fun :twisted:
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

Shopping / Lurking for my first Ural

Currently on a 2008 KLR 650

MotoSquirrel
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MotoSquirrel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Nothing wrong with riding slow, you see more scenery that way!

I've been known to be pretty dangerous with a wrench, so I think with a little patience and a shop manual I should be doing well!

I've spoken with Gene before, and I definitely will be making time to go meet him! You people's recommendations have really helped assure me! There's a shop in St. Petersburg, but they never seem to have Urals around when I'm hoping to stop by. (oh well, guess Gene will get my business!)
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
'96 HD FXDS-C Dyna Conv
A Ural WILL happen. . .
No matter what happens, in the end I shall prevail, for I am stubborn. All things get better in time.

CarlS
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by CarlS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:59 pm

I am not much of a wrench; but I can and do routine maintenance. I started riding back in the late 50's and you had to wrench if you wanted to ride. I still have to wrench on my 68 Triumph 650. I enjoy maintaining the bikes I ride. I will definitely buy from Gene.
Carl S
Old Soldier

Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 pm

snowymonkey wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:16 pm
I’ve been reading up on all the maintenance stuff. I enjoy doing my own wrenching ( to a point ). Should remind me of my ACVW days. I’ve owned, built, or worked on more VW’s than I can remember. My avatar pic is one of my favorite builds. Tore it down to the pan and built it back up to what you see in the pic. I miss that one a lot. It was a blast. Wouldn’t go over 55.... but it was a ton of fun :twisted:
pretty sure with your knowledge of air cooled VWs you will be at home with a Ural if need be,hopefully you get a new or little used well cared for bike when you make the jump. :cheers:
Last edited by hotflash44 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

snowymonkey
Party Member
Party Member

Post by snowymonkey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:54 pm

That’s what I’m hoping as well :D

MotoSquirrel
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MotoSquirrel » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am

I'm hoping to make the trip over to see Gene sometime soon, possibly within the next two weeks. I'm not sure when my budget will be able to allow the purchase, but I definitely want to see if my skill can catch up to my enthusiasm. . .
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
'96 HD FXDS-C Dyna Conv
A Ural WILL happen. . .
No matter what happens, in the end I shall prevail, for I am stubborn. All things get better in time.

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 am

MotoSquirrel wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am
I'm hoping to make the trip over to see Gene sometime soon, possibly within the next two weeks. I'm not sure when my budget will be able to allow the purchase, but I definitely want to see if my skill can catch up to my enthusiasm. . .
open mind is all you need during your initial Ural test ride. i have been riding 2 wheel bikes for 61 years and bought a new Ural without a test ride, and when i did my first ride the thought did cross my mine at least for the first 100 yards that i just made a $17,000 mistake,but that ended after i rode around the block. odd is a understatement gas on wants to pull slightly to the right off the gas just the reverse.but i was committed and rode the bike until i understood what i had, minute after minute hour after hour until i was comfortable. now with over 5000 km on the bike i love it and drive it all the time.think initial set up is very important to the way it drives, if it isn't set up by a qualified Ural person it will be very annoying for sure,that said stick with Gene at Holowpa and you will be good. all this from a relatively new Ural owner FWIW. :cheers:

MotoSquirrel
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MotoSquirrel » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:39 am

hotflash44 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 am
MotoSquirrel wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am
open mind is all you need during your initial Ural test ride. i have been riding 2 wheel bikes for 61 years and bought a new Ural without a test ride, and when i did my first ride the thought did cross my mine at least for the first 100 yards that i just made a $17,000 mistake,but that ended after i rode around the block. odd is a understatement gas on wants to pull slightly to the right off the gas just the reverse.but i was committed and rode the bike until i understood what i had, minute after minute hour after hour until i was comfortable. now with over 5000 km on the bike i love it and drive it all the time.think initial set up is very important to the way it drives, if it isn't set up by a qualified Ural person it will be very annoying for sure,that said stick with Gene at Holowpa and you will be good. all this from a relatively new Ural owner FWIW. :cheers:
It's worth quite a lot, as you have more years of riding experience than I have been alive. You, sir, are the font of wisdom, as far as I'm concerned. (you survived this far, didn't you? LOL) :cheers:
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
'96 HD FXDS-C Dyna Conv
A Ural WILL happen. . .

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:42 am

Need to be clear about this need for maintenance thing - all it basically means is a Ural can't be neglected and abused like a Honda or similar. It's just common sense stuff. Mechanical sympathy when riding and keeping an eye on fluid levels and adjustments, state of brakes tightness of fasteners etc. Once a week or every 200 - 300 miles. I've learned with mine to keep an eye on engine oil level, final drive oil level, tire pressures, and do all the lights work. 99% of the time nothing has changed. Blew a tail light bulb couple of weeks ago - no obvious reason. I'm guessing vibration or the rough roads I've been using lately. I carry a spare bulbs kit, so easy fix. I also carry a small bottle of engine oil cos it will use some if doing any high speed highway cruising or hilly stuff.

HTH
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am

hotflash44 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 am
odd is a understatement gas on wants to pull slightly to the right off the gas just the reverse.
Have I mentioned that you can exploit that effect to help in making turns. Make the weight of the sidecar work for you. :D The guy who gave me tuition, that was the way he taught me, been doing it ever since and is now automatic.

HTH
Mike H

MotoSquirrel
Comrade
Comrade

Post by MotoSquirrel » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 am

See? I keep learning! Huzzah!
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
'96 HD FXDS-C Dyna Conv
A Ural WILL happen. . .

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:12 am

There ya go. :D
Mike H

snowymonkey
Party Member
Party Member

Post by snowymonkey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:19 am

MotoSquirrel wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 am
See? I keep learning! Huzzah!

x2

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:42 am
Need to be clear about this need for maintenance thing - all it basically means is a Ural can't be neglected and abused like a Honda or similar. It's just common sense stuff. Mechanical sympathy when riding and keeping an eye on fluid levels and adjustments, state of brakes tightness of fasteners etc. Once a week or every 200 - 300 miles. I've learned with mine to keep an eye on engine oil level, final drive oil level, tire pressures, and do all the lights work. 99% of the time nothing has changed. Blew a tail light bulb couple of weeks ago - no obvious reason. I'm guessing vibration or the rough roads I've been using lately. I carry a spare bulbs kit, so easy fix. I also carry a small bottle of engine oil cos it will use some if doing any high speed highway cruising or hilly stuff.

HTH
its very easy on a real good running Ural to get complacent, i also check these areas often and maybe its because of my bike being a 2016 with all the implied improvements, over 2 and a half years only once did i use about 4 oz of engine oil, never trans/final drive. tires hold air great loose maybe a pound in 2 weeks. never found a loose nut/bolt anywhere.Nyloc nuts are the reason. all said i do keep a watchful eye on everything, if only because i love this machine as i have all my mechanical things. must try to keep Mr. complacent at bay! :cheers: