Russian Garage

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Russian Garage

Post by URALNUT60 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Anybody have any dealings buying parts from Russian Garage?

mtrdrms
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Russian Garage

Post by mtrdrms » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Yup. Some of the replacement parts are rather low quality but they're inexpensive. Delivery is usually 10 days to me in CT. Good communication (Sergey?) If you have to email questions.
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol

4REICH
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by 4REICH » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 pm

I buy from Russian garage, product usually arrives within 2 1/2 weeks. No complaints, recommended
13 ST solo
94 solo
74 M66
MT16

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Keep in mind that when you order from them, there wasn't just one Ural 650. The parts from Russian Garage might fit your 650, they might be for a bike from 1965 with subtle differences. Export bikes tended to have different stuff than domestic and Russian Garage is selling domestic. Most will fit, some might require more massaging than others, some parts won't fit your specific version of the 650. Quality on the metal parts is usually ok and or fixable, the plastic parts will be cheaper but work. Don't throw your old parts away, you might need to disassemble them to make the Russian Garage parts fit.

If you are looking to restore your bike to American standards, you'll want to call Terry and Gene for parts. If you want to get it running, fix issues in a functional but not always perfect way, Russian Garage is good.

If you order, I strongly encourage their comic book paper repair manual. I don't read Russian but the photos are excellent and show what to do.
https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... cts_id=601

Shipping is a little over two weeks, everything I've received matched what was on the website but wasn't always what I thought I was buying. I would definitely choose them over some random eBay source, they do also have an eBay page as bsa_79 https://www.ebay.com/usr/bsa_79
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 am

Eric does it cover crank installation? Thanks for the tip!

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 am

Vostok Motorcycles anybody had dealings with them? Good? Bad? They have a reconditioned crank! Input appreciated

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:49 am

Between the comic book service manual, the 650 manual you can download from http://www.sidecarafrica.co.za/Repair%20Manual.pdf and shifty650 stuff on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4zUvG ... 0QBvBt6QyQ , I was able to install the crank without problem. It's not hard, you'll need to build some basic tools to pull the crank into the block but I think those sources illustrate what's needed.

I've bought from Vostok also without problem, I have heard others weren't as fortunate. I would not buy a reconditioned crank. It's possible they did an excellent job, it is equally likely they did a halfassed job that won't last 500km. The 650 crank is a 5 piece crank + bearings, I could not find anyone in the US willing to rebuild mine. In theory it's possible, it's going to require very special tools and knowing what to do. The people that rebuild pressed cranks in the US all said they don't have the skill/ tools to do it. Reconditioned from overseas means something different than what an American expects, often reconditioned = we painted it, not it's as good as a brand new one.

Whatever crank you install, you'll need to measure for true before you install it. The crank I got from Terry was spot on, it was well packaged. The 5 piece crank is not only prone to twisting but being bent up or down if it's not packaged properly. UPS drops it, you now have an expensive paperweight.

It is likely the Russian Garage crank is the same one that Terry sold me, but different middlemen. It's also possible it's the other crank that GregAus mentions. Dunno. I think I saw one photo of it in similar packaging to what my crank was, a shaped foam box that really holds it firm.

Mystery crank from overseas tossed loose in a box is going to be a paperweight. If Vostock is selling one, ask how it was reconditioned, what did they do and how did they do it? How will it be packaged for shipment.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:06 am

Thank you Eric, asked Chris what's involved with rebuilt crank and proper packaging for shipment, appreciate your help greatly, as the journey continues prob will have a question or 2! Lol

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:29 am

Eric Vostok Motorcycle assured me crank boxed wrapped in foam, crank checked for true, balanced, new rod bearings, general inspection

BHaley1059

Post by BHaley1059 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Has anyone dealt with Russian garage recently? I have sent three emails in the last two weeks with no response.

chane

Post by chane » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:16 am

ok ok

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Crankshaft Rebuilding

Post by GregAus » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:18 pm

Crankshaft Rebuilding- Bench Mark Works LLC utilizes the services of a professional crankshaft alignment service. We also use an industrial hard chromer to repair damaged, undersized main bearing journals, which are then precision ground to original specifications.
Call us for a basic price quote on this service. 1-662-465-6444.

Big end bearings - KT405017 Needle Bearing Cage eBay361720714211

Rebuilding won't be cheap but these steel caged bearings are far better than the Russian aluminium caged bearings. Some two stroke repairers also have the skills and equipment to rebuild these multi piece cranks.