Carb Synch tool

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Carb Synch tool

Post by windmill » Sat May 25, 2019 6:54 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:41 pm
@Windmill. OK I'll bite. How do you balance a set of carbs using two paperclips?????????
1. Use paperclips to connect sparkplugs to sparkplug wires so tip of plug isn't covered by boot.
2. Start bike, and let warm up.
3. Put it up securely on centerstand.
4. Put in 3rd gear
5. At idle short out just one cylinder with screwdriver and observe mph on speedometer while running on one cylinder
6. Do the same on opposite cylinder.
7. Adjust idle screws so each cylinder runs at the same indicated mph. Adjust low cylinder up, high cylinder down, or split difference as needed to maintain desired idle rpm.

Off idle balance is checked the same way with the throttle held open in some manner that wont allow it to move.

Success depends on the individual. I watched Sergei at IMWA do it this way and get it spot on as confirmed after with twinmax, I can get it darn close, some don't have the ear and feel for it. Some can do it by ear without the speedo.

IMO, its a workable solution in a pinch, but I prefer the ease, speed, convenience, and accuracy of using a good sync tool.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Sun May 26, 2019 2:54 am

last year I got a cheap set with 2 vaccuum needle gauges. As usually they weren't matched. Said one would be OK and opened the other one to tweek and connected both to the same vacuum source by a T. Apply vacuum usually in the typical reading you get on a carb set = -0,25bar=-3,6PSI. Inside the gauge you find a small needle return spring- tweek a bit it's base pin (or on better ones its adjuster) and with some finger tip sense you achieve that both needles read the same read out. Took about 25 minutes until both gauges were syncronized.

Before that I had one single vacuum gauge conected to the carbs by aquarium air hose valves...that used to be too time consuming and used to overheat the engine.
Sven
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Mike Robinson
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Duplicate post

Post by Mike Robinson » Sun May 26, 2019 10:09 am

Duplicate post
Last edited by Mike Robinson on Sun May 26, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Patrol T
1987 BMW R65 Mono
2016 Triumph Scrambler

Mike Robinson
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Carb Sync tool

Post by Mike Robinson » Sun May 26, 2019 10:10 am

The whole carb sync tool thing is quite interesting.

So many ways of doing it and so many personal tolerances, preferences and experiences.

Personally I like the idea that you can get a tool like the DigiSync or in the past the Harmonizer that offer such a quality solution for very little money. The DigiSync is about $120. It takes a potentially difficult and complicated procedure to 'can it be this simple'.

What fun we have with these motorcycles and tools!

M
2010 Patrol T
1987 BMW R65 Mono
2016 Triumph Scrambler

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Superman has pajamas with my logo.
I bowl overhand.
Chuck Norris? I've heard of her.

I don't synchronize my carbs very often, but when I do I reach for the Harmonizer.
Stay synchronized my friends.