Weather proof gps

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
tbird649
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by tbird649 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:48 am

Yes, I love maps, just dont find them very practical on a motorcycle, especially when its windy/rainy and also if I'm riding off road, and have half a dozen or so mates behind me who probably dont want to stop every few minutes to check if the track we are on is correct, or a legal right of way. With the Viewranger app, and many others, I can research our route beforehand on maps, internet etc, then download it to my phone, then just follow the line. Definitely need a map as a back up though.
2008 Ural Dalesman
1956 Triumph Thunderbird
1961 Triumph T100A
2005 Suzuki SV650
2005 Honda CRF230F
1972 Suzuki Hustler
1972 Bultaco Sherpa
1977 Honda 400/4 (Mrs Tbird)

moxou

Post by moxou » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:10 am

One great GPS in EU is tripy. Don’t know about map in USA but it’s logbook player. Giving just the main info without distraction
Next waypoint and direction.

www.tripy.eu

Great for journey but need some home work before.

Guillaume

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eastbloc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:02 am

coyote wrote: Even better, now the iPhone 8 and older 7 are waterproof so no more ziplock. I just ditched the ram x-grip in favor of the ram quick grip. It’s more secure, the phone can be put into it or removed one handed in one quick motion, and best of all it doesn’t flop about when their is a phone in it. Highly recommend it.
I've had my iPhone 7 fall out of the X-Grip over bumps so I'm not trying that again.

You reckon the Quick-Grip is better?
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic
'09 BMW F800GS

coyote
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by coyote » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:33 am

eastbloc wrote:
coyote wrote: Even better, now the iPhone 8 and older 7 are waterproof so no more ziplock. I just ditched the ram x-grip in favor of the ram quick grip. It’s more secure, the phone can be put into it or removed one handed in one quick motion, and best of all it doesn’t flop about when their is a phone in it. Highly recommend it.
I've had my iPhone 7 fall out of the X-Grip over bumps so I'm not trying that again.

You reckon the Quick-Grip is better?
100 percent, can’t see how with the quick grip the phone could ever fall out over bumps, especially if in horizontal position.

While I never lost a phone out of the x-grip, I never trusted it, also the grips always interfered with the volume and lock button, and I hate how it can wobble back and forth when holding a phone, terrible design flaw.

I can post a video of using the quick grip later
2014 "Sage Green" Gear Up
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse

jeffshoaf
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by jeffshoaf » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Revzilla has a couple of Garmin motorcycle gps models on clearance right now, but still not inexpensive.
2017 BMW R1200RT, 2018 Ural cT

Mike Robinson
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Mike Robinson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:02 am

I have been using a Garman Zumo for a few years. It Bluetooth connects well to my Sena SMH5 really well.

I have a hard wired mount on the handlebars. Works well.

When my wife is in the tub, she has it on the tub windshield on a suction mount, blue tooth turned off and my wife relays instructions all Bluetooth like between us.

I am sure there is a Sena unit that does rider - passenger communication with GPS interruptions well. This combo I have is way too slow to switch between.

Reminds me to charge the Sena units up. Off topic, if your Sena SHM5 battery fails you can get a new one from the Sena Service people, they don't advertise this is possible.

Mike
2010 Patrol T
1987 BMW R65 Mono
2016 Triumph Scrambler