Weather proof gps

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Bunker
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Binghamton new york

Weather proof gps

Post by Bunker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times but was wondering what people purchase for a weatherproof GPS. Two people mountain to their handlebars or did the mount them to the side car so the passenger can help navigate? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you
1995 harley sportster
2001 harley sportster
2005 Kawasaki concours
2005 ninja 250
2008 honda goldwing
2009 Kawasaki ninja 250
2012 Kawasaki concours 14
2013 Kawasaki ninja 250
2015 Yamaha r3
2016 harley ultra classic
Kymco like 200i
2016 suzuki dr 200
2017 ural patrol

Binghamton NY

mtrdrms
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 pm
Location: Colebrook, CT.

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by mtrdrms » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 am

I have a garmin zumo 550. Works great. No issues in 5 years.
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol

Bunker
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Binghamton new york

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by Bunker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:03 am

mtrdrms wrote:I have a garmin zumo 550. Works great. No issues in 5 years.

How is it powered? Internal battery or does it need to be plugged in entire time??
1995 harley sportster
2001 harley sportster
2005 Kawasaki concours
2005 ninja 250
2008 honda goldwing
2009 Kawasaki ninja 250
2012 Kawasaki concours 14
2013 Kawasaki ninja 250
2015 Yamaha r3
2016 harley ultra classic
Kymco like 200i
2016 suzuki dr 200
2017 ural patrol

Binghamton NY

mtrdrms
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 pm
Location: Colebrook, CT.

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by mtrdrms » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am

It has an internal battery that will run for a few hours but I have a permanent, hard-wired mount on the bike. They're not cheap but they're the best for motorcycles.
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol

User avatar
Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 4996
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:45 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:26 am

I would strongly suggest you go to Garmin and other manuf websites to read up on their current line of products. Searching for reviews on certain models as you narrow down your search will help as well.

As far as I know, pretty much all GPS units intended for cars are not weatherproof.
Motorcycle and marine units are normally, at the veryleast, water resistant.
Another consideration is being able to see the screen when in direct sunlight. Most car unit screens will not be easy to see in direct sun.
Another consideration is being able to operate touch screens with gloves on.

As much as I don't like Garmin the company, there products are probably the best. They normally make two models for motorcycles, one a regular GPS with a few added features and a second with all kinds of whizbang stuff like the ability to store and play music. I have a Zumo 390LM that suits my needs. My only complaint is the mounting system is poorly thought out. This shortcoming is typical of Garmin. The unit comes with a RAM mount for bikes. But the wiring is intended to be hardwired to the bike and includes a bulky transformer. The other mount, which is a typical car type mount, will not keep the unit fixed in position on a bike due to the bumpy ride. So, if you have multiple bikes and want to use the unit on all of them, it does not lend itself to that unless you buy a RAM mount and cable for each bike. The unit will take a mini-USB cable with a cigarette socket plug for car use. But the bike mount partially blocks the ability to use that cable. I am currently in the process of modifying the bike mount bracket to allow the use of the mini-USB cable so I can use it on various bikes. It requires a RAM claw mount, another GARMIN RAM bike mount. Probably about $90 in additional mounts. Hence, this is a primary reason why I don't like Garmin.

What you might consider in the interim is to use your smart phone with a handlebar mount. Granted, you need a cell signal for the GPS feature to work, but it will tell you if you really will use a GPS or it is just a passing fancy.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

User avatar
Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 10590
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Johnson County, Texas, USA

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by Tin Man » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 am

Using the search feature, type in GPS and stand back. There are many good units available depending on what your plans are.
Here is a start:
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... lit=garmin

I still use my Garmin in its Ram mount. I believe it was intended to be a "handheld" but works quit well as my speedo, clock and odometer...............and its "backtrack" feature has gotten me back to civilization more than once..... :oops:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Bunker
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Binghamton new york

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by Bunker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:36 am

Snakeoil wrote:I would strongly suggest you go to Garmin and other manuf websites to read up on their current line of products. Searching for reviews on certain models as you narrow down your search will help as well.

As far as I know, pretty much all GPS units intended for cars are not weatherproof.
Motorcycle and marine units are normally, at the veryleast, water resistant.
Another consideration is being able to see the screen when in direct sunlight. Most car unit screens will not be easy to see in direct sun.
Another consideration is being able to operate touch screens with gloves on.

As much as I don't like Garmin the company, there products are probably the best. They normally make two models for motorcycles, one a regular GPS with a few added features and a second with all kinds of whizbang stuff like the ability to store and play music. I have a Zumo 390LM that suits my needs. My only complaint is the mounting system is poorly thought out. This shortcoming is typical of Garmin. The unit comes with a RAM mount for bikes. But the wiring is intended to be hardwired to the bike and includes a bulky transformer. The other mount, which is a typical car type mount, will not keep the unit fixed in position on a bike due to the bumpy ride. So, if you have multiple bikes and want to use the unit on all of them, it does not lend itself to that unless you buy a RAM mount and cable for each bike. The unit will take a mini-USB cable with a cigarette socket plug for car use. But the bike mount partially blocks the ability to use that cable. I am currently in the process of modifying the bike mount bracket to allow the use of the mini-USB cable so I can use it on various bikes. It requires a RAM claw mount, another GARMIN RAM bike mount. Probably about $90 in additional mounts. Hence, this is a primary reason why I don't like Garmin.

What you might consider in the interim is to use your smart phone with a handlebar mount. Granted, you need a cell signal for the GPS feature to work, but it will tell you if you really will use a GPS or it is just a passing fancy.
Man that stuff sounds complicated. Maybe I'll just buy some bettet paper mapsand hand them to my fiancé to help navigate while on the back roads.
1995 harley sportster
2001 harley sportster
2005 Kawasaki concours
2005 ninja 250
2008 honda goldwing
2009 Kawasaki ninja 250
2012 Kawasaki concours 14
2013 Kawasaki ninja 250
2015 Yamaha r3
2016 harley ultra classic
Kymco like 200i
2016 suzuki dr 200
2017 ural patrol

Binghamton NY

Bunker
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Binghamton new york

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by Bunker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:36 am

Tin Man wrote:Using the search feature, type in GPS and stand back. There are many good units available depending on what your plans are.
Here is a start:
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... lit=garmin

I still use my Garmin in its Ram mount. I believe it was intended to be a "handheld" but works quit well as my speedo, clock and odometer...............and its "backtrack" feature has gotten me back to civilization more than once..... :oops:
Started with the search function but saw thousands of threads and got anxiety instantly
1995 harley sportster
2001 harley sportster
2005 Kawasaki concours
2005 ninja 250
2008 honda goldwing
2009 Kawasaki ninja 250
2012 Kawasaki concours 14
2013 Kawasaki ninja 250
2015 Yamaha r3
2016 harley ultra classic
Kymco like 200i
2016 suzuki dr 200
2017 ural patrol

Binghamton NY

Bunker
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Binghamton new york

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by Bunker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 am

mtrdrms wrote:I have a garmin zumo 550. Works great. No issues in 5 years.
I looked this up On amazon but did not find the same model
1995 harley sportster
2001 harley sportster
2005 Kawasaki concours
2005 ninja 250
2008 honda goldwing
2009 Kawasaki ninja 250
2012 Kawasaki concours 14
2013 Kawasaki ninja 250
2015 Yamaha r3
2016 harley ultra classic
Kymco like 200i
2016 suzuki dr 200
2017 ural patrol

Binghamton NY

User avatar
lendrinkard
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Peninsula, Ohio

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by lendrinkard » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:42 am

$100.00 unit. Fodsport GPS.
Works well and is cheap and waterproof.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-3-inc ... 96559.html

Feature Operating System Version: Win CE 6.0 CPU: Media Tek MT3351 486MHz RAM: 256MB Bluetooth 2.0 Waterproof Rating: IPX7 Speaker Power Source: Rechargeable Lithium Battery or Car Cigarette Charger or Car/Motorcycle Battery Power Usage Time: 2 to 3 Hours Systerm Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Romana, Finnish, Polish Hungarian, Portugues


Specification CPU: MSTAR 2531 800MHz Memory: MLC 8GB Flash Memory, 256MB RAM Display: 4.3'' inch TFT LCD, 480*272 Pixels 16:9 Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0, Support A2DP Earphone Battery: Non-removable Rechargeable Lithium Battery, 1500mAh Waterproof: IPX7 Grade
GPS Frequency: 486MHz Signal Channels: 22 Hot Startup Time: 2s Warm Startup Time: 32s Cold Startup Time: 35s Voice: 120decibel (MAX) GPS Module: High Sensitivity Receiver Built-in Antenna  
Last edited by lendrinkard on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Gear up - 130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights
2013 NOS Ural T - 130/42 jet, 2 shims, LED running lights, oil cooler

skischooler
New Member
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by skischooler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 am

Bunker wrote:
mtrdrms wrote:I have a garmin zumo 550. Works great. No issues in 5 years.
I looked this up On amazon but did not find the same model
Zumo 695lm, 395lm and 350lm are the current models. https://www.revzilla.com/garmin-motorcycle-gps

User avatar
sysmgr2
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:08 pm
Location: Benicia, CA 94510

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by sysmgr2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:21 pm

I have the 665 LM on a Twisted Throttle mount on top of the handlebar clamps. It's the model with SiriusXM, so I've routed the puck to the top of the tub. It, as well as my cellphone, connect via a Sena. Makes a leisurely ride a pleasure. I also used to have their cage mount for it on a Uly, but that's been sold. The point is: There are ruggedized mounts available. I've got a Zumo 550 that I'm trying for the monkey... Haven't mounted it yet.
San Francisco Bay Area
2015 Ural Gear Up
2014 Ural T
2016 Road Glide Special
2016 DL650 XT ABS Adventure
2016 Softail Slim
1983 BMW R65 w/Bingham MKIII sidecar

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 4433
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:31 pm

I have my Iphone on a RAM mount that I use for gps. I just cover with a Ziploc bag - works fine.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 9668
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: 48*N, 122*W

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by rivers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:39 pm

Doubt you'll find any electronics that are waterproof. Water resistant but not waterproof. Factory waterproofing is basically spraying the internals with a silicone spray. The cases/cable connections can still leak. I've had a Garmin 60csx on a KLR and an old 279(6?) on a BMW. Both mounted to the handle bars. I put a ziplock bag over them with a rubberband securing the bottom of the bag. No issues. Still have the old 60 series but don't mount it to the Ural, I just keep it in my jacket pocket till needed.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

User avatar
bgenest
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:10 pm
Location: Just Outside Boston, MA

Re: Weather proof gps

Post by bgenest » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 pm

I have a Tom Tom Rider 5 (2013 model) mounted to my handle bars. I have "lifetime" maps and use it when I am exploring in Maine. I am satisfied with it and it meets my needs. But, ALL GPS manufacturers reduce/stop product support after several years. If you go for an expensive Garmin or Tom Tom it will have a limit on its support and accessories. I tried to purchase another mount and cable from Tom Tom recently and they said the accessories were no longer being made for my model. Tom Tom has a few accessories listed, for my model on the EU website but they will not ship to USA. Emailed USA website a few times, no response. Tom Tom just released its newest motorcycle GPS. It's pretty slick but just as expensive as a Garmin.

As for the Chinese brands I did buy a "cheap" model off Amazon but it would not work out of the box. I returned it with authorization but never got a credit or response from the supplier or Amazon. Just sayin', your experience may be different. Good luck.
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

Post Reply