Would you buy a Ural if there was no dealership around?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
AdvRdr978

Re: Would you buy a Ural if there was no dealership around?

Post by AdvRdr978 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Kamikazz wrote:You said "Canada Maritimes Climate", Where you from?

I live next to you, in the province of Québec. When I got problem (engine rebuild) with my Patrol 06, I buy all my part from Lutz in Nova-Scotia. http://www.ural.ca

I made a grocery's list of what I need and he ship it to me. Great ressources if you need help and part! He made a few travel to the Ural's factory in Irbit for somes formations. Ironically, I never seen him but he is a great guys!

For other things: Oil, filter, brake pad, bearing, ignition coil (and wire!)... you can get all your part from napa or online.
I am in Moncton New Brunswick. Good to know He is still selling parts and sharing information. Too bad He is not selling the bikes anymore.
Last edited by AdvRdr978 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by siberman1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:21 pm

windmill wrote:..snip....
Right, OBD2, Set Idle, balance cylinders, monitor sensors, read and clear fault codes, real time performance data Ect. Ect. $180 to $250 + about $15 to make an adapter cable.

...snip.....
HMMM< I think your numbers are too high...

Here is a quote from Connected to ECU's and Balanced Throttle Bodies!!!!!!!
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... justed+EFI

++++++++++
"After your adapter cable is made you will need OBD II software and a cable to connect to a PC.

I used "OBDLink SX Scan Tool" cable ($30) from Scantool.net, which comes with free activation code for OBDWiz software.

http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx/

Or you can get "OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scan Tool" ($50), which also come with free activation code for OBDWiz. This will connect to a PC with Bluetooth capabilities and do all the same as the USB cable. It will also work with Android phones and work with the free OBDLink app. Plus if you have a handle bar phone mount you now can have a tachometer on your phone while driving. I have not tested this yet but will. Sorry IPhone users, think you are left out of this option.

http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/

You will also need to upgrade the free OBDWiz software with "OBDwiz Professional Add-On" ($40) from obdsoftware.net

http://www.obdsoftware.net/software/professionaladdon

With all the software and cables you will be able to connect to your PC and read each ECU, but only one at a time. You will have to setup OBDWiz, make 2 User Defined PID's and make a custom dashboard. To do that use the video with instructions below. I found that ECU 7E8 was the left throttle body and ECU 7E9 was the right.
++++++++++++++++

So, the cost is less than $180-$250. I have about $90 in the EFI setup, not counting the fact that I have it installed on 2 laptops.
The hardest part was getting the laptops to see the bike. Simple, just follow directions really. It was not difficult to assemble everything.
Tomcatfixer wrote:...snip.... Interestingly, it (2015 cT) only really started running correctly after I got the OBD-II code-reader and adjusted the throttle body balance m'self. 8)

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Kamikazz

Post by Kamikazz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 am

AdvRdr978 wrote:
Kamikazz wrote:You said "Canada Maritimes Climate", Where you from?

I live next to you, in the province of Québec. When I got problem (engine rebuild) with my Patrol 06, I buy all my part from Lutz in Nova-Scotia. http://www.ural.ca

I made a grocery's list of what I need and he ship it to me. Great ressources if you need help and part! He made a few travel to the Ural's factory in Irbit for somes formations. Ironically, I never seen him but he is a great guys!

For other things: Oil, filter, brake pad, bearing, ignition coil (and wire!)... you can get all your part from napa or online.
I am in Moncton New Brunswick. Good to know He is still selling parts and sharing information. Too bad He is not selling the bikes anymore.
I hear some rumors, that will be soon a service shop for Ural in NB... Not a dealer but for you, that is not important.
Ural Patrol 2006
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 2016
Vespa V5B3T 1974

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:31 pm

siberman1 wrote: HMMM< I think your numbers are too high...
Yes, you are correct. I looked up my receipt, $180.35 with shipping for the ScantoolXL W/professional software which is the high end of the scale, for those who desire bluetooth/smartphone capability.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm

I bought mine back in 2010 from a now defunct dealer. Have done all my own warranty work and maintenance myself since then, bike has never been back. Nearest dealer is over 250 miles from here. I have 80K klicks on it now and have been able to keep it going and make all repairs at home. :thumbsup:
2010 Black Patrol

Al Parker

Post by Al Parker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:57 am

I did.....the difference between an ordeal and an adventure is....ATTITUDE.
2018 Gear Up Ranier White

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 pm

If my buying a Ural plan works, the nearest Ural dealer will be 1500 air miles away (and something like 2400 highway miles)

There is supposed to be a repair center up North 350 miles away (no idea why yet and not manned full time)

I have always had used machines though I plan to buy one with at least some warranty on it.

Ural is reported to work with local cycle shops, but I suspect I can do any but a major engine/trany repair. I have the skills and tools (back would be an issue but I have 3 brothers and friends and I hope to retire next year (crossed fingers)

Worst case as I see it is shipping and engine or tranny South. My brother sent an MG engine out that way and we put it back in when it got back. We are used to that sort of issues in AK.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 pm

250 miles close enough? And, I own two.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 pm

AdvRdr978 wrote:I've been repairing/maintaining my motorcycles all my life but never owned a motorcycle that there were no dealers around, Can you own a Ural bike with no dealer in the close proximity?

There's a few Used one that comes up for sale in the region once in a while cause there used to be a dealer but it close a few years back. Closest dealer is now 13 hours drive away.

Would you still buy one?
sure, this is the perfect machine for those who have some mechanical skills or able to read,dealers are for sissy's. but if it were me i probably buy a carb model 2007 to 2013 to avoid the computer EFI crap. notice most the above advice suggests not to worry about a dealer use the computer for advice and parts. Those that live off the grid, understand the need for self reliance. i know because i have seen the Alaska/Canada reality shows. :boogie:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

hillbillybob
Party Member
Party Member

Post by hillbillybob » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:17 pm

AdvRdr978 wrote:I've been repairing/maintaining my motorcycles all my life but never owned a motorcycle that there were no dealers around, Can you own a Ural bike with no dealer in the close proximity?

There's a few Used one that comes up for sale in the region once in a while cause there used to be a dealer but it close a few years back. Closest dealer is now 13 hours drive away.

Would you still buy one?

As long as UPS, FedEx, or Canada Post can get to your place....you'll be just fine.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris" (38/125 out, 40/135 in, much better)
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (14,703 breakdown free miles)

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:03 pm

hillbillybob wrote:
As long as UPS, FedEx, or Canada Post can get to your place....you'll be just fine.
Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but its gotten so easy and convenient to buy things on line, its often my first choice. I've gotten things from Amazon within 2 hours of ordering it.
I assuage my guilt with the fact Amazon is a local company, and a major customer of my employer.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 pm

I’m 130 miles and a major mountain range away from the nearest Ural dealers in Salem or Portland. I was skittish at first as it was 2004 and IMWA was at the lower left end of the improvement curve for quality control.

14 years and ~46,000 kms later my Tourist remains the best bike purchase I’ve ever made. And I’ve learned to wrench a bit and added a few tools to my kit. No major failures, chased down a few electrical gremlins.

If I can keep a Ural humming along, anyone can.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 pm

nearest dealer 100 miles, so that would be a yes!
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 pm

My nearest dealer is 45 miles away but the one I go to for all supplies Ural is 130 miles away. Plus having to go through Cincinnati. I-75 through Cincy has been under construction for the last century or so. Still it is worth it to get to Heindl's.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Happytrails
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Happytrails » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:14 am

If it was a used Ural yes. I wouldn't buy new with no way to get waranteed work done.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"