Gas Can Spout - Update

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
tank4all
Party Member
Party Member

Gas Can Spout - Update

Post by tank4all » Fri May 13, 2016 9:46 am

I have a gas can on my Rig that I've never really used as extra fuel. Initially I had the can filled with sand to use as a counter weight as I'm new to motorcycles and sidecars. I feel comfortable enough now that I no longer need the counter weight and want to carry some extra fuel with me (I've cleaned the can). My question is what do people to when you have to pour fuel into the gas tank from a gas can? Does anyone know if the following will work as a spout on my can type (photo below)?

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Flo-Gas-Can-Sp ... B00DGVRXD2

I feel like if I don't use a spout or a funnel I'll just end up pouring fuel all over my tank.

*UPDATE* So the Amazon order came and like some users have said it did not fit. Good news is I now have a spout that is easy to use and not of those stupid child safe spouts that I can't seem to figure out and always leak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tank4all on Mon May 16, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Tourist

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Gas Can Spout

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Fri May 13, 2016 9:50 am

I use a funnel.
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by GHGoodwin » Fri May 13, 2016 10:00 am

Siphon. You'll only need a piece of fuel resistant hose.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

tank4all
Party Member
Party Member

Post by tank4all » Fri May 13, 2016 10:19 am

GHGoodwin wrote:Siphon. You'll only need a piece of fuel resistant hose.
Didn't even think of using a Siphon! Thanks!!
2001 Tourist

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Fri May 13, 2016 11:01 am

Yours looks about the same size as the NATO GERRY CANS. I have one & its special spout, they are also internally vented for tidy pouring. It is so GOOD (no Fuss or Mess), I would sell the can you have - & buy the Nato type Gerry can . Sportsmans Guide have them @ about $25.. Here's a picture of mine & its special spout - in my trunk. I have never made a mess with it. Totally Recommended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by INSUBORDINATOR on Mon May 16, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri May 13, 2016 11:10 am

Funnel and when you pour hold the can flat. Lot easier to control the flow rate.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Brian Crean
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Brian Crean » Fri May 13, 2016 12:55 pm

You're on the right track. I would buy it and see if it fits. If it doesn't, go on the search header, and put "killer modification" in it. It shows you how to cut a hole in your original gas can cap. I did it using a flex spout almost identical to the one you're looking at. Mine(the nozzle kit), only had a cheap soft round plastic cap that was useless for my purpose, but you might get lucky, and yours will work. You can use the flex spout if you drill your original cap according to Gobiums " killer modification" Even though they're different nozzles, the results are the same...IT WORKS!

Buckhorn
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Buckhorn » Fri May 13, 2016 3:10 pm

tank4all wrote:I have a gas can on my Rig that I've never really used as extra fuel. Initially I had the can filled with sand to use as a counter weight as I'm new to motorcycles and sidecars. I feel comfortable enough now that I no longer need the counter weight and want to carry some extra fuel with me (I've cleaned the can). My question is what do people to when you have to pour fuel into the gas tank from a gas can? Does anyone know if the following will work as a spout on my can type (photo below)?

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Flo-Gas-Can-Sp ... B00DGVRXD2

I feel like if I don't use a spout or a funnel I'll just end up pouring fuel all over my tank.
You're right about spilling gas trying to pour direct, it is hard to do without making a mess. I think the correct funnel may help.
The nozzle you linked to on Amazon I think has a smaller thread diameter than the stock Ural can.
When someone mentioned siphoning, I remembered this Wonder Siphon.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Spe ... /203635079
I have 2 of these, but never thought to try one. I may have to put one in the sidecar.
There's a ball check valve in the bottom. You place the can above the tank, place the hose in the bottom of the can, and start shaking the hose up and down. On each down stroke the gas climbs a little higher on the hose, until it's over the high point, and then it siphons on its own.
2013 Ural Gear Up Gobi camo
Raceway 2 into 1 right side high exhaust, with Two Brothers muffler
Dimple drain plugs
Shorty left side directionals
2010 Harley Fat Boy
:)

Tazio
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Tazio » Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 pm

I use the equivalent of the Wonder Siphon. Works great and never spills a drop.
2012 Ural Gear-up Gobi Desert

SidecarDan
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by SidecarDan » Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 pm

I carry a funnel and have a carabiner clipped to it so I can clip it onto my luggage rack until it is dry before tossing it back into the trunk.
Dan
2012 Forest Fog Gear-Up
128/42 jets
7/64ths drilled slides
2013 branch pipes
Yamaha petcock

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sat May 14, 2016 6:40 am

Forgot all about it but I also have a wonder siphon. It gets used a lot to diesel up my tractor. The clear plastic hose it came with was cr@ppy. The hose took a "set" and was difficult to uncoil. I kept the tip and found some better hose.
Hal

It's a long list.

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sat May 14, 2016 6:45 am

As a second thought. If you can get anoyther lid you can drill it out for two tube type connections. One tube is air input and one for gas lines. The one for gas lines has a gas pickup tube inside and a tank delivery tube on the outside. Pit it on your can and pump away. Air forced into the can pushes gas out the tubes and into the tank.
Hal

It's a long list.

BigJames
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Gas Can Spout - Update

Post by BigJames » Thu May 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Glad someone said siphon! Pouring out of that thing = mess. And don't suck on the hose, seal the hose and top of the can with your hand, make a space and blow into the can to get it started...unless you like the taste of gasoline!
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by GillaFunk » Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Who doesn't like the take taste of gasoline?
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Casty62 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 pm

I am often puzzled by posts on this forum. I admire the ingenuity displayed by the obviously talented Ural owners on SS. But sometimes I secretly think to myself things like "ITS A FREAKIN GAS CAN, BUY A THREE DOLLAR FUNNEL AND POUR THE GAS IN THE TANK! IT'S NOT THAT HARD! UGH, FOIL HEADS!
2012 Patrol
No chrome
It's not a speed limit, its a goal.http://sidecarmark.com/