Hill climbing issue - am I expecting too much?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Hill climbing issue - am I expecting too much?

Post by mr. cob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Howdy All,

When attempting to get started on a steep hill or any other surface that gives to much traction for the NOT low enough gearing in our Ural's, DO NOT SLIP the clutch anymore then is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

The stock clutch disks and the un-vented bell-housing will over heat and warp in a matter of seconds if the clutch is slipped excessively. To build as little heat in the disks as possible give the engine enough rpms to build the power needed to get the rig moving, keep the rpms UP rapidly let the clutch lever out and if needed rapidly pull it back in, repeat as needed in order to get the rig moving. This technique "should" get the tire spinning which will take the stress off the clutch as the speed of the rig increases the spinning of the tire will stop and the rig will proceed as normal.

YES, this is hard on the rig, however done properly it will get up, over or through stuff you wouldn't be able to traverse in any other way. If your going to ride in difficult off road terrain your going to stress the machine, you WILL break or wear out parts, this is OWNER ABUSE and is NOT covered by warranty. Its your machine, what you do with it and how hard you ride are decisions that YOU must make and take responsibility for making. Now go out and have FUN.
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

carrsgarage
Party Member
Party Member

Post by carrsgarage » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Mr. Cob - Thanks, that makes perfect sense. It's almost like engaging the automatic feed on a metal lathe - just let it happen, don't force it.
2006 GearUp
Krytoxed Alternator Adaptor Bearings
130 Main
45 Idle
Time-Serted Head Studs

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:21 pm

carrsgarage wrote:Mr. Cob - Thanks, that makes perfect sense. It's almost like engaging the automatic feed on a metal lathe - just let it happen, don't force it.
Howdy carrsgarage,

There is NO type of synchronization in the two wheel drive shifter, just a straight cut gear that meshes with a straight cut sleeve, when these two parts engage the rig is in two wheel drive. FORCING the shift WILL break parts.

An easy way to visualize this is is to hold your hands out in front of you, palms facing you. Spread your fingers on each hand about a finger width apart, now move your hands toward each other, notice that if your fingers line up and the tips touch each other you won't be able to move your hands together, now simply move your hands so that your finger tips are positioned in-between each other, NOW you can easily move your hands toward and away from each other, this is EXACTLY how the internal parts of the two wheel drive part of the final drive gearing work.
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Msblu79 wrote:Awesome Mr.Cob, I have been working the throttle to disengage the 2WD and have had a few moments where it still was hard but your explanation about wiggling the bars is just what I was lacking. Never gave that a thought about the two wheels working against each other as well, especially if the tires are worn differently. I will have to try that next time out, Thanks :bow: I love my 2WD, my wife & I were out this weekend 3-wheeling in stateland and had a blast hitting the trails. :boogie: But I definately have to be careful about how severe a hill I will tackle, you have to know your limits as they say, you can't always follow your 2 wheel buds everywhere. You have to pick & chose your paths & challenges carefully or bad things will happen. Given that I have been impressed with some of the trouble I have gotten myself into and then back out of in regards to hills. I recently was out in the forests above & behind one of the areas top skiing resorts which is closed this time of year. I took a wrong turn, forgeting where I was exactly, and ended up dropping down a step at the top of the ski slopes near the lifts. I couldn't go back as it looked like a clutch frying incline, so I got off, looked over the edge and examined my options. There were three slopes to go down, 2 were steep & fast straight down the hill, one to the right was angled down the side of the hill and for rookies I hoped, my kinda path, problem was the vegetation had grown 4ft. high and I had to stand up to see where I was going. Oh well, now I know what Herbert feels like, how do I get this rig out of here without trashing it & do it without getting arrested for tresspasing. As a longtime enduro rider I knew what plants to look for that grow in dry areas and which that grow in wet muddy zones so I took a deep breath and headed off down the hill bashing my way through the brush & tall grass, over drainage ditches, bottoming the shocks & my teeth out, zig-zaging across the slope looking for dry ground praying that the end would be reached soon. I got to stare at the sidecar up in my face a couple of times. I stopped once in a dry spot to catch my breath for a minute and looked back up and said "you dumb MF, what the hell are you doing here!" I was half way down from what I could see. I continued zig-zaging untill I reached the bottom and found an open exit thru the lift station to a road out. My Ural was stout & rugged & took a beating going down that hill but it got me outa there, I had grass & crap stuck everywhere, I blazed a new trail as it were and it was a adrenline rush I hadn't felt in a long time. No other sidecar motorcycle could have ever done that, my Ural rocks! :cheers: Sorry no pics.
Greek peak will never be the same! Now when I hit those ruts I'll be cursing you ! Next time give a shout when you are down this way , It would be great to meet up and experience your ride from a distance behind ! :lol: :lol:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Howdy Msblu79,

Reading your adventure had me wishing I was right there along side of you. All of the crazies I used to ride with have moved away to the other side of the country or are no longer physically able to do the STUPID stuff I enjoy so much, if you move to the Nor-Wet look me up. :deal:
Mr. Cob

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lokiboy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Mr Cobb,

Thank you for the detailed information. I now carry a copy in my hack as a reference.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Msblu79
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Msblu79 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks Craig & Dave, Yep, Greek Peak is were my adventure took place. Looking back on it now it was great fun despite my fears but it would actually be safer to ski down rather than ride a Ural down the hill. :lol: So far I have kinda stayed in my free towing zone radius of 20 miles but I certainly want & hope to get further away and meet up others like yourself Craig & of course if I ever get out to the NorthWet again I will certainly be honored to ride with Mr. Cob & the folks there. I had to give up my RMZ450 MX'er when I turned 50ish, to hard to ride it fast and MX tracks are very unforgiving these days if you screw it up. Now, with the Ural Patrol, I have been able to take my wife out to areas that I used to ride 2 wheel enduros/MX machines to get to. Great fun for both of us for many years to come I hope and I can still get my rushes. Just wish I'd bought the damm thing sooner :lol: :cheers:
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods & Airbox, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey Msblu79-

Years ago I went into the Centralia PA coal mining area to offroad on our enduros with two other (more experienced) friends of mine. We went there with a guy and his wife each on quads and another local guy on his KLX with his wife on the third quad. No problem, right? These were "locals" from up in them there hardscrabble hills of central PA. :o (They were probably thinking "yeah, let's see what those flatlander's can do on some of our trails!")

We come to this power line that goes straight up the side of the mountain and is made of boulders, the minimum size of which is a little bigger than a 13 gallon trashcan. The quads take the pavement, two other locals make their way up the *cliff face* of a hill and then the one guy with us goes up on his KLX. Keith and Dave look at me and wave me to go so off I went wondering how the heck does a motorcycle actually do terrain like this? :? I hung on for dear life and picked my lines and actually got my DR350 to the top of that godforsaken boulder infested hill. :shock:

Only later did I learn that Keith had just said to Dave- "if Scott doesn't go now and he keeps staring at that hill, he ain't gonna do it!"- that's when they waved me to go on. :oops:

Later Keith said to me that you don't necessarily have to do this kind of riding day in and day out, but one day...maybe some day...you will find yourself all alone in a bad situation and you will KNOW in your mind that it can be done and YOU can do it. It's like training. :cheers:

...the other side of that coin is if you DON'T make it, you will then know what's BEYOND your limits or your machine's! :cheers:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

wazza

Post by wazza » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm

howdy mr cob.
just looked at your photos.man,you shure get up to some wild stuff!!
that wheelie looks awesome.dident reckon these rigs were capable of that.how did you pull it off??
cheers
wazza

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:15 pm

wazza wrote:howdy mr cob.
just looked at your photos.man,you shure get up to some wild stuff!!
that wheelie looks awesome.dident reckon these rigs were capable of that.how did you pull it off??
cheers
wazza
Howdy wazza,

If this is the photo your talking about, its NOT me, this was taken by Jan, "DaveO" wife when he was climbing a very NASTY hill during the "Black Dog" rally. To get up this hill DaveO, took all the weight off the rig he could, emptied the trunk, whacked the throttle, dropped the clutch and held on, this photo was taken just after he had hit a large rock at SPEED and the front end had bounced high into the air. DaveO, kept the throttle OPEN and continued on up the hill. :bow: :boogie: :clap: :cheers:

This hill was so bad that the man heading up the rally WARNED us about riding the trail to and from it, he strongly suggested that we NOT do this part of the course. So being the type of folks who always listen to those who run these types of events, we decided to do it anyway. We all made it through that part of the course, from that point on the legend of the Ural's and their crazy riders became part of the "Black Dog" rally lore to shared around the camp fires for years to come. I really miss riding with "Dangerous Don" and "DaveO" two of the best and craziest Ural riders I have had the pleasure of knowing and riding with.
Mr. Cob

wazza

Post by wazza » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:53 am

thats the pic mr cob.
amazing.any damage to the rig?
i notice you have a suzuki drz.how does it compare to the ural?
the capabilities of the ural in 1wd compared to the drz is what is most important to me,as the 2wd is not available in oz
cheers mate
wazza

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm

wazza wrote:thats the pic mr cob.
amazing.any damage to the rig?
i notice you have a suzuki drz.how does it compare to the ural?
the capabilities of the ural in 1wd compared to the drz is what is most important to me,as the 2wd is not available in oz
cheers mate
wazza
Howdy wazza,

No damage to DaveO's rig other then a possible soiled spot in his shorts. :lol:

There is no way to honestly compare the DRZ to the Ural, two completely different machines, each is very good at what it does but they can't really be compared to each other.
Mr. Cob

wall018

Post by wall018 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 pm

I also attended the Colors in the Catskill event at Hunter Mt. I asked if I would be allowed to ride the trails mentioned originally in this post and was denied. Apparently the trails were in better shape on Saturday and when I asked on Sunday the BMW rep's said that the trails were too muddy because of the overnight rain. Would have been fun to have 2 Urals at the top of Hunter Mt.
2011 Ural Gear Up Matte Black
2010 HD Road Glide Custom Vivid Black
2009 Kawasaki KLR650 Gloss Black
2007 HD Street Bob Denim Black
1974 HD Golf Cart
1973 HD TX-125 Vivid Black
Do motorcycles come in other colors?

vradin
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by vradin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Msblu79 wrote: If you have to turn around mid-hill be sure to go right and keep the sidecar on the downhill side.
Letting the sidecar get above me on a 45* LEFT spiral ramp in a parking garage, combined with low momentum is the direct cause of the accident I had in July. Looked just like the picture, except with my leg gashed open under the left carb. Rig got out of the shop last weekend (3 months), and I'll be repaired in about another month.

Haven't been up Hunter Mt since I was a Scout- we hiked up to a camping area near the lookout tower, and shared the campsite with a group of bikers who arrived a couple hours after we got setup. As usual we cooked way too much food, so a trade was offered and accepted - a bunch of late-teen boy scouts and bikers sitting around a fire; eating home cooking and drinking beer. One of my favorite memories growing up. :givemebeer: :hungry:
vic
2005 Gear Up - Prince Mishkyn