shifting perspectives

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
donlineman
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: shifting perspectives

Post by donlineman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Mud Pie wrote:Jeez, guys !! The poor guy asked for simple numbers, but instead got opinions and postulations !! :?
I believe I started my reply by saying I didn't know the answer to his question. I then told him what I do. I didn't express any opinion or postulate as to what he should do. But thank you for your critique.
Don
2005 Wolf
2007 Retro
Lake Jackson Texas

My wife is a sex object - every time I ask for sex, she objects.

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:27 pm

What the heck is postulatin anyhow? .......Sounds dirty! :P
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by cdscoot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:31 pm

gflapg wrote:Nope I go to 4th at about 45.
That's all right on a level here. We don't get a lot of that. A lot of short abrupt hills , keeps you shifting, turnin, breakin, and lean in all a the time!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

donlineman
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by donlineman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:37 pm

cdscoot wrote:What the heck is postulatin anyhow? .......Sounds dirty! :P
A basic assumption that is accepted without proof.
Don
2005 Wolf
2007 Retro
Lake Jackson Texas

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by cdscoot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:40 pm

donlineman wrote:
cdscoot wrote:What the heck is postulatin anyhow? .......Sounds dirty! :P
A basic assumption that is accepted without proof.
:lol: :lol:
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lokiboy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Hey,

Agree that the engine will tell ya when to shift, but there are times when you can't hear the engine; so, here's what I do

1st to 2nd - as soon as I get to walking speed
2nd to 3rd - around 25mph
3rd to 4th - around 35mph
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

donlineman
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by donlineman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Lokiboy wrote:Hey,

Agree that the engine will tell ya when to shift, but there are times when you can't hear the engine; so, here's what I do

1st to 2nd - as soon as I get to walking speed
2nd to 3rd - around 25mph
3rd to 4th - around 35mph
I don't really look at the speedo, but your shift pattern sounds much like mine. I know there are many who wind the engines up much more than we do and that's fine. I suspect that over the life of our rigs our repair bills will be less than some others. These rigs are geared pretty low and the redline of the engines isn't that high. My memory says something over 5000 rpm. I don't believe I do any gasoline engine a favor by approaching the redline constantly. My K bike redlined at 8400 rpm which translated to 148 mph in 5th gear. This ain't a K bike. :) Besides I'm getting old. My wife says I can't ride that fast any more. And you know, if Momma ain't happy, no one is happy.
Don
2005 Wolf
2007 Retro
Lake Jackson Texas

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Those shift points are too low. These rigs like the revs and distain the low, especially lugging it. As your bike breaks in you'll get a broader shifting pattern. Then she'll plateau.
1st: 0 - 20
2nd: 20 -35+
3rd: 35/40 - 55
4th: 55 - to infinity and beyond.... :roll:
Your rig might sound like it's going to explode but ultimately if you want to know the shift points, flog her in each gear and she'll tell you right quick. Lug these beasts and it will hurt your engine. Rev her like the Russian beyotch she is...... 8) :cheers:
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

donlineman
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by donlineman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:27 am

MartyL wrote:Those shift points are too low. These rigs like the revs and distain the low, especially lugging it. As your bike breaks in you'll get a broader shifting pattern. Then she'll plateau.
Your rig might sound like it's going to explode but ultimately if you want to know the shift points, flog her in each gear and she'll tell you right quick. Lug these beasts and it will hurt your engine. Rev her like the Russian beyotch she is...... 8) :cheers:
Referring to an earlier discussion, thank you for you opinion. I, however, don't agree with what you postulate. I have driven everything from Model A Fords to 18 wheelers. My current rides are my Ural, my Porsche and my Dodge. I have driven farm machinery, military vehicles, race bikes and race cars. They all have something in common. If they are pushed to the limit they don't last long. Many race vehicle don't last beyond one race. I agree that it's counter-productive to lug engines. However, the other end of the envelope isn't any better. My experience, and it's extensive, is that engines are like women. If you treat them like a Russian beyotch they will soon be gone. If you want them to stick around very long you have to treat them gently. Since we are at present postulating and stating opinions may I suggest we meet again after a while and compare repair experiences. :)
Don
2005 Wolf
2007 Retro
Lake Jackson Texas

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 am

FWIW, I have always shifted by ear. Almost all of my bikes and cars over the years have had tachs, but I've never used them for shifting indicators, just as a gauge to see how the engine was running. :)

Besides, several things always alter the "right" speed/rpm to change gears; terrain (uphill/downhill), payload (empty/fully loaded) and weather.

My dad used to say "your engine talks to you. Listen to it, it will tell you when to shift. Relying on a tach is like taking marriage advice from your divorced friends."
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:45 am

Do a search on this topic and you'll find some info. Written by some of the,"sages" here. A few with many clicks on their rigs. Enjoy! :)
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Tall1
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Tall1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 am

For leisurely acceleration I shift at 20, 30, and 40. Sometimes I'll add 5 to each shift point.
Paul in Minnesota
07 Tourist LX
95 R100RT
13 DL650 VStrom

David
Party Member
Party Member

Post by David » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm

MartyL wrote:Those shift points are too low. These rigs like the revs and distain the low, especially lugging it. As your bike breaks in you'll get a broader shifting pattern. Then she'll plateau.
X2 :P
David
2008 Patrol
2003 Volusia
"How Stands the Hour?"

carrsgarage
Party Member
Party Member

Post by carrsgarage » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 pm

I hardly ever look at my speedo - on any bike. I shift when it sounds and feels right. Speed isn't the only factor at work here. Hill size and length have a lot to do with it. Road characteristics in general. For example, if you're going up a decent grade in 4th and you're doing 50, would you shift to 4th? Depends on if you're just about at the top or halfway up, empty or loaded with gear, straight road or twisty. Heck if you're on a twisty road going 50 you may or may not shift - depends on the tightness of the turns, your entry speed, how quickly you want to accelerate out of the turn, etc.

The best thing you can do is to get a feel for your motorcycle. Try to learn what relative speeds it likes to do what - do this by feel, not gauges. Shift short a couple of times and learn what a lugging engine sounds like. Rev it up and when it stops accelerating, that's it - try not to wind it out that far again.

Once you get a feel for the bike - any bike, or a car for that matter - you'll notice you can pretty much guess your speed based on wind noise, engine noise, centrifugal forces, that sort of thing. Then you can concentrate on watching the road, not the speedo.
2006 GearUp
Krytoxed Alternator Adaptor Bearings
130 Main
45 Idle
Time-Serted Head Studs

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by a1930ford » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are our resume in Heaven."
"Cheapest, most efficient and longest distance wifi in the world is prayer."

2005 Troyka "The Dog Taxi" - Wichita Falls, TX.