Did it!

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:01 am

ebrl97 wrote:
DirtyDR wrote:Haven't heard. He e-mailed me a couple of questions today so it sounds like he is trying to decide between the Arctic Gear Up and an '08, white Patrol by the questions.
DirtyDR - Know what he's going through :? Randy, the owner and great to deal with, really likes the white Patrol. I opted for the Gear Up due to the way I will use it up here. As far as the 2007 Artic and any 2008, it occured to me that they will be coming in around the same time. Maybe the Artic a few weeks earlier. Unless you really wanted the last of a limited addition and were set on the Gray camo, the 2008 for $600 more seemed best to me. Maybe not if the Artic was in stock and you could ride it off the lot (not likely for me since the only roads to Bailey from Fort Collins include 100 miles on I 25 through Denver :machinegun: While paying attention to the "Break-in" requirements) :shock: But, it isn't :brickwall: My advice after going through the same experience is to go for the 2008 White Patrol. :roll:
It appears as though we could have quite a parade around here soon, a white patrol, two arctics, and DDR leading the pack in the soon-to-be-famous soccer momobile. Maybe we should start planning our own BURP/FART/CURD/NORWET style gathering...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Colorado Ural Riders

Post by ebrl97 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 pm

S 854

Definitely need to do so. A parade of the CUR's (Colorado Ural Riders) led by the head CUR, DirtyDR :lol:

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:37 pm

We could always have a Colorado Riders Annual Party. :bs:
Dana
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
2006 Patrol in Blue

Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:44 pm

That would be a CURAP event :bow: Wow, where almost organized :shock:

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Can't restrict the party just to Urals, they let me into the B.U.R.P. on my Beemer.
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Well, we could have associate membership. They would be CURASS :roll:

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:16 pm

Big Yellow wrote:Spicy/Ebrl97, I'm in the same boat, waiting for my 07 Gear Up. Ordered Thanksgiving, was told that the shipment was due to the US just before Christmas, and then to would be to me about the end of January. Don't know if the shipment made it to the US yet. I'm hopping that the UDF doesn't start before you get it but won't be supprised if that's so.
Odd, it took months of thinking about it before ordering it, and then when you finally order it you want it right away.

Bill
Stay up yer dealers backside. Ove it arrives off the boat, clears customs and hits the bonded warehouse in New Jersey ask him for the PRO# from the shipping company and then your can track you crate online like with UPS or FedEx. It'll take your dealer a day or two to uncrate it and assemble it.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:42 pm

... It'll take your dealer a day or two to uncrate it and assemble it.[/quote]

JohnBG: I'm confused about the rigging of the sidecar. Can dealer experience make a difference? Or, since the bike is sold as a unit, is it pretty much a no brainer and just hooking the two together? How will someone new to riding know it is not right? Anything way out of line should be obvious, but subtle differences won't.

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:50 pm

ebrl97 wrote:I'm confused about the rigging of the sidecar. Can dealer experience make a difference? Or, since the bike is sold as a unit, is it pretty much a no brainer and just hooking the two together? How will someone new to riding know it is not right? Anything way out of line should be obvious, but subtle differences won't.
It has to be set up propely by an experienced dealer technician and the hack has to be properly aligned with the bike and the lean-out set properly. When set up properly the bike will drift to the left slightly on acceleration, and to the right on decceleration, and track straight at a cosntant speed on a flat surface. The lean-out needs to be set to compensate to the crown of the road and is usually between 1 and 3 degrees.

A lotta other assemble has to be done and things checked and adjusted if needed. An expereinced dealer knows what to look for and how to set them up properly.

Not exactly a no-brainer.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks JohnBG: While my dealer is new to URAL, they are not new to trikes. Hope it goes okay. Sounds like I need to get an experienced URAL rider to check it out after delivery.

Spat
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Spat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:06 pm

OK this is DDR's "your buddy", finally time to chime in.
Hi my name is Spat and I am a cycleholic...

As much as I like the Arctic I pulled the trigger today on the 08 white Patrol. Changed my mind on the way up to FTC and a couple of times on the way back.

ebryl97 your questions here and there got me to thinking the same way as you I guess.

Heres to the new dealer in Colorado :cheers:
Spat
FLHGSSXDR.Patrol

Fall in love with a person who enjoys your madness
Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.
Red Green: Duct tape or zip tie,,, fixed is fixed

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
Irwin Corey

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:30 pm

Spat: Congratulations!!! And welcome to the almost CUR's. We should get ours around the same time. Hope it all goes well. The white Patrol is a great looking bike. Hope I don't have regrets after seeing yours. But, like you, I made my decision and now I'm happy. Look forward to meeting you down the road. :beerchug:

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:45 pm

A white Patrol..... That is a beauty.

I want one.

Please.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Ragman: Your playing with my mind :twisted:

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Congrats on finally going for it Spat. Didn't get home from work until 7:00 so just getting around to checking in here. I figured you'd go for the white Patrol, especially since Cookie liked it.
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue