Did it!

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Did it!

Post by ebrl97 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Just got back from ordering a 2008 Forest (Jungle) Green Gear Up :D Should get it in late Feb to early April :) Thanks to all here for the help 8)

ebrl97
2004 Yamaha Rhino
2008 Gear Up (soon)

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Cool Deal! 8)

One of these days most dealers might actually have rigs stocked on the floor for immediate delivery. :x

It seems like waiting 3 to 6 months for a new rig seems to be the Ural rite of passage.

Note to the IMWA spies - this is not the Ural Delay Factor that we want to experience! :brickwall:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:50 pm

Sounds good Ron, my buddy down in Denver called this afternoon and said he's going to call them tomorrow and put a deposit on the Arctic Gear Up. He told me the dealer said somebody just put a deposit on a green Gear Up and I figured it was you.

Both of you guys are going to have to get them broken in and out to Moab in April.
Dana
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
2006 Patrol in Blue

Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Ron, my buddy... said he's going to call tomorrow and put a deposit on the Arctic Gear Up. He told me (the dealer) said somebody just put a deposit on a green Gear Up and I figured it was you.

Both of you guys are going to have to get them broken in and out to Moab in April.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. I'm on the very low end of a high learning curve.

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Nothing to it, you'll learn quick enough.

Seems to be more people around the state getting them, we're going to have to have a get together somewhere this Summer.
Dana
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
2006 Patrol in Blue

Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Sounds like a plan.

pidgey
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pidgey » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:53 pm

JohnBG wrote:Cool Deal! 8)

One of these days most dealers might actually have rigs stocked on the floor for immediate delivery

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2005 BMW K1200S with Hannigan SuperSport chair
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
2010 Patrol (the lemon) SOLD

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 am

One of these days most dealers might actually have rigs stocked on the floor for immediate delivery. :x
JohnBG: In going from hearing about to purchasing, I found out a lot. One thing I heard is that no longer will the big dealers be able to grab up inventory at the dock from the smaller dealers. If so, there should be a more even distribution of stock. We'll see. I agree with you, it would be a great step forward if you could find the nearest dealer (wherever that is), go there, ask your questions, look, kick the tires, test ride, negotiate, make the decision and either purchase or walk. It is the American way. At any rate, this forum is a how owners can have a voice. Don't think for a minute that they don't pay attention.

Double Barrel
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Double Barrel » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:32 am

Congrats on the new addition to your family! Dont forget to bring the camera with when you pick her up!
Prowd owner of a 2007 Ural Patrol "the Ruble Glide"

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:37 am

ebrl97 wrote:

JohnBG: In going from hearing about to purchasing, I found out a lot. One thing I heard is that no longer will the big dealers be able to grab up inventory at the dock from the smaller dealers. If so, there should be a more even distribution of stock. We'll see. I agree with you, it would be a great step forward if you could find the nearest dealer (wherever that is), go there, ask your questions, look, kick the tires, test ride, negotiate, make the decision and either purchase or walk. It is the American way. At any rate, this forum is a how owners can have a voice. Don't think for a minute that they don't pay attention.
I'm not sure if that's the problem. The bigger dealers are always gonna get preferred treatment.

The problem is that the supply of new bikes is not meeting the demand, qnd there are always rumors of credit problem with parts suppliers.

IMWA was wanting/requiring full payment or a substantial deposit from the dealer to get priority delivery of bikes. A lot of smaller dealers just don't have the financial capital to inverst that much in inventory of bikes as there is no factory financing and/or "floor planning" of dealerships. So a lot of dealers are only ordering bikes once they have a customer that has left a deposit or paid up front for it.

Maybe the new CEO has a plan for improving that... :?
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"

Current Rides:

History:
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:46 am

Thanks Double Barrel for the congrats. I'll get a lot of pics. Will have to figure out how to get them here, but with help, I'll get it done. Or, since I was born in Texas, raised in Oklahoma and scored 55% dixie on JohnBG's test, I'll "get er done".

ebrl97
Party Member
Party Member

Post by ebrl97 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:06 am

JohnBG: As you know, the $ for "Floor Planning" do not always come from the mfg. This is true even in car dealerships. What you need to obtain "Floor Planning" $ is a viable product. I hope that it is not correct that the larger dealers will always get preferential treatment in all situations. They will of course have the largest voice and consequently the most influence. But, if Mr. Clark is to grow this company he will equalize the marketing opportunities. He certainly has the background to do so, but I am not sure he has a sufficient infusion of new $ to do so.

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:27 am

ebrl97 wrote:JohnBG: As you know, the $ for "Floor Planning" do not always come from the mfg. This is true even in car dealerships. What you need to obtain "Floor Planning" $ is a viable product. I hope that it is not correct that the larger dealers will always get preferential treatment in all situations. They will of course have the largest voice and consequently the most influence. But, if Mr. Clark is to grow this company he will equalize the marketing opportunities. He certainly has the background to do so, but I am not sure he has a sufficient infusion of new $ to do so.
Yes I understand, but a lot of manufacturer's are doing the floor planning themselves instead of having local banks or financial institutions do it. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Harley have their oiwn financing and insurance departments and have dicovered that there is a lot of money on the back end of the deal (usually more than the profit on the sale of the bike).

Maybe IMWA might not have the financial wherewithall to do this themselves, but it would behoove them to perhaps team up with a financial institution to help dealers with inventory financing and customers with bike financing.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"

Current Rides:

History:
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:40 am

That would be a good idea - getting an Ural financed is not particularly easy.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:22 am

Ragman wrote:That would be a good idea - getting an Ural financed is not particularly easy.
It's not?

Finance it just like any other motorcycle...that's what we did.