Parts availability and other 2007 Tourist questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Bar None
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Parts availability

Post by Bar None » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:55 pm

Yep,
I don't see where you need a 5 gallon can. A much smaller one mounted on the rear of the sidecar would be better.
That does look like a very nice Ural in excellent condition.
Vince in Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC
Owned a 2012 Yamal, a 2015 cT and a 2021 cT in the past.
2020 Ice Bear Vision 150 scooter
2021 Ice Bear Malibu 150 scooter
2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

treebone
Hero of the Soviet Union 2022

Post by treebone » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:52 pm

I suppose it is more for looks than actual use.
The first hard left turn would induce a tub dive, and trying to fill the tank from a 5 gallon can would be difficult to say the least.
2021 OD Ct, disguised as a Gearup
Sold in 20 minutes flat... -2015 Gearup Sportsman Adventure Camp Wandawega Edition 13,500 K
Gone but not forgotten- -2009 Patrol, Sold at 26000 klicks

jasper
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jasper » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:08 pm

I'm an iron butt rider and my first thought was to plumb the can like what's shown in this post, to extend the range.

But, that's not what I'm buying it for and I need to constantly remind myself of that. I'm buying it to give my mom an opportunity to cruise around the state and enjoy the sights on a motorcycle before she gets too old to do so. She's never felt comfortable sitting on the back of a bike and never wanted to learn to ride. When we visited Austin back in '18, we swung by AF1 and she had an opportunity to sit in a sidecar and has been hooked on the idea of getting one since. So I can save the fiddling around with an aux fuel setup for that future FJR or V1K purchase and just move to a 10L can in the back.

I still plan on doing an iron butt ride with the Ural in the future after a through inspection, but it'll be a backroad cruise type, sticking to the 55-60 mph range.
Current Rides
2007 Ural Tourist
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2022 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2023 Spotwalla Tracker

phughes

Post by phughes » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 pm

jasper wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:08 pm
I'm an iron butt rider and my first thought was to plumb the can like what's shown in this post, to extend the range.

But, that's not what I'm buying it for and I need to constantly remind myself of that. I'm buying it to give my mom an opportunity to cruise around the state and enjoy the sights on a motorcycle before she gets too old to do so. She's never felt comfortable sitting on the back of a bike and never wanted to learn to ride. When we visited Austin back in '18, we swung by AF1 and she had an opportunity to sit in a sidecar and has been hooked on the idea of getting one since. So I can save the fiddling around with an aux fuel setup for that future FJR or V1K purchase and just move to a 10L can in the back.

I still plan on doing an iron butt ride with the Ural in the future after a through inspection, but it'll be a backroad cruise type, sticking to the 55-60 mph range.
I'm basically the same kind of rider. I like to get on and go. I did Miami to Pittsburgh, PA in one day on my Concours, just a touch under 1200 miles, and my usual ride until my parents passed away was Pittsburgh to Iowa in a day. I just like riding distance. The Ural is a little different, but I have done 500 mile days on it. You don't need to extend the range so much, you will want to get off, and you will need to let the engine cool down a bit on a long day. I have a Russell Day Long on my Ural, and I still need to get off, but not because of the seat.
Phil

-------------------------------------------
2014 Gear Up
2009 Kawasaki Concours
Schwinn 24 inch Unicycle :mrgreen:

stagewex
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by stagewex » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:06 pm

Good Luck and hope it's a good deal as well.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:03 pm

So How did it go? Inquiring minds want to know!
2019 Gear Up "Babe"
2017 Indian Roadmaster Classic "Cheyenne"

stagewex
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by stagewex » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:42 am

Ad says the bike/rig was sold.
Stagewex

jasper
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jasper » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:36 am

Sorry to leave y'all hanging. Picked it up Saturday. Didn't have much of a choice to be honest, my mother was bound and determined to get it no matter what. :roll:

Looks good, has a a few scratches, as mentioned in the ad, and some rust, which I expected being a Ural and from 2007. Overall, not bad though.

The seller was the second owner, picked it up from the original owner in Joplin, Missouri. Had planned on using it from long distance traveling, hence the intentional decision to install the 5 gallon jerry can. But outside of a trip to Devil's Den in Arkansas, he never found the time to take any long trips and just used it around Louisiana The sidecar was set up to carry their Great Dane, while his wife liked riding on the back. They were selling the Ural, along with some other stuff, in order to make room and clear debt to start a family. The guy already has plans to purchase another Ural in the future, a Gear-Up, once the kids are older enough to be able to ride in it.

He took me for a ride in the sidecar as it will probably be the only chance I'll have. Engine sounded great. Sidecar had a very slight side-to-side sway to it, reminded me of the gentle rocking of a boat.

The bike still have the original petcock on it, but the seller mentioned how it causes a lot of issues (something I read about on here) and that the original owner replumbed the fuel lines to bypass the petcock entirely. It now has two lines with cut off valves near the petcock.

After I got the bike home, I took it for a quick ride on my street and instantly developed a love/hate relationship for the bike. It's quite a beast to ride and was constantly fighting every single action I took. I expected this based on reading, but it was still a surprise. I'm sure once I get more time in the seat and a lot of practice to develop a feel for the bike, I will grow to like it a lot more, but for the moment, I'm working through a bit of buyers remorse. :-|
Current Rides
2007 Ural Tourist
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

2023 Spotwalla Tracker

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:49 am

jasper wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:36 am

After I got the bike home, I took it for a quick ride on my street and instantly developed a love/hate relationship for the bike.
sounds about normal :lol: :lol:
Past afflictions include limey cars and motorbikes, a K75s, R60/2, R65ls, '12 Ural GU & a Citroen ID-19.
Nowadays a bunch of bicycles and a brand spanking new 2023 flat green Gear Up! :mrgreen:

stagewex
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by stagewex » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:03 pm

I don't recall if you mentioned that you already were or are a seasoned motorcycle rider or not? But even if you have been riding for 50+ years the geometry and quite different skills you'll need to develop are completely different from a 2-wheeler.
Giving the throttle a twist and the rig veering towards the right, no or less power swinging to the left... on the ride home (and this was brand-new from the dealer) I definitely had the "what have I done" mind-set.
100 miles later and with 3 bags of TopSoil in the hack (mostly for confidence) I was hooked. Really a wonderful experience but can imagine that once spooked at the very beginning that's why from time-to-time you'll see these beasts for sale with almost no miles or kilometers.
Practice flying the chair and enjoy. Congrats.
Last edited by stagewex on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stagewex

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:02 pm

Welcome to the madness.
2019 Gear Up "Babe"

jasper
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jasper » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:41 am

stagewex wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:03 pm
I don't recall if you mentioned that you already were or are a seasoned motorcycle rider or not? But even if you have been riding for 50+ years the geometry and quite different skills you'll need to develop are completely different from a 2-wheeler.
Giving the throttle a twist and the rig veering towards the right, no or less power swinging to the left... on the ride home (and this was brand-new from the dealer) I definitely had the "what have I done" mind-set.
Been riding since 2009. I knew the sidecar rig would handle a lot differently, but was surprising how much it fights you. A big problem is that my daily commuter is my 300cc Versys and I'm pretty heavy-handed with it in regards to acceleration. It's a fun and light bike and you can be pretty dumb with it while still staying within the speed limit. But applying the heavy-handedness to the Ural just causes it to want to drive off the road. :lol: Need to calm down and be more patient with it, which will come with time and practice.
stagewex wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:03 pm
100 miles later and with 3 bags of TopSoil in the hack (mostly for confidence) I was hooked. Really a wonderful experience but can imagine that once spooked at the very beginning that's why from time-to-time you'll see these beasts for sale with almost no miles or kilometers.
Practice flying the chair and enjoy. Congrats.
Picked up 150lbs of play sand for the sidecar yesterday. I need to spend some time reorganizing my garage, but once I do, I plan on taking the Ural out after work for a couple weeks to practice in a nearby parking lot. Good news is the Ural came with a copy of the yellow book, so I have access to the exercises, just need to pick up something to use as cones. Figured after a couple weeks of this, I will start heading out and traveling around the countryside around me, before finally giving in-city riding a try.
Current Rides
2007 Ural Tourist
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

2023 Spotwalla Tracker

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:57 am

Try socks rolled up for markers. Probably available and easy to clean when you’re done.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
Rapid City, South Dakota
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

jasper
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jasper » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:00 am

That's an interesting idea, thanks
Current Rides
2007 Ural Tourist
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

2023 Spotwalla Tracker

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:13 pm

One of my boys had bought something like these for his basketball training. They worked well for me.
https://www.academy.com/p/sklz-agility-cones-20-pack

If I can find them you are welcome to use them.
2019 Gear Up "Babe"