Preferred Ural Dealers?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
ScaryMc
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Preferred Ural Dealers?

Post by ScaryMc » Wed May 05, 2021 3:41 pm

unico wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 pm
Give coloradomotoservice.com a look. New Ural dealer in Denver, new to Ural, but not motorcycles, owner very experienced master mechanic familiar with eastern European bikes.
Thanks for the tip! I just reached out to them.
2021 Tan Gear-Up Sahara

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by RC20 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:45 pm

Good to hear we may have good ones joining in.

Portland Ural had sold a Ural to a lady who had left just before I got in. Like me she just flew in and took off. I would have liked to talk to her, reminds me of my wife when she owned the R80GS! (she gave up riding and I inherited it and went onto have some grand times with it)
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

ScaryMc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by ScaryMc » Sun May 09, 2021 5:02 pm

unico wrote:
Give coloradomotoservice.com a look. New Ural dealer in Denver, new to Ural, but not motorcycles, owner very experienced master mechanic familiar with eastern European bikes.
Thanks again for the recc on Colorado Moto Service. Talked to them last week, super nice folks and way more responsive that a popular deal that I tried...
Stupid question: Would it be bad for a Ural to go from brand new to 300 miles, over Mtn passes on its first go? If not, I’m hoping to take the train over to Denver in early June and ride it home. If it is bad, I’ll reluctantly drag it home in a trailer....
2021 Tan Gear-Up Sahara

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun May 09, 2021 6:36 pm

ScaryMc wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Stupid question: Would it be bad for a Ural to go from brand new to 300 miles, over Mtn passes on its first go? If not, I’m hoping to take the train over to Denver in early June and ride it home. If it is bad, I’ll reluctantly drag it home in a trailer....

2019-2021 owners manual;
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... g+copy.pdf

"ENGINE RUN-IN
During the first 600 miles it is important not to overload or over rev the engine while
riding. To ensure proper break-in you should ride the motorcycle conservatively at
varying speeds and loads. Use the following guidelines during the first 600 miles prior to
the initial break-in service:
1. Do not overload or “lug” the engine.
2. Do not exceed a top speed beyond 60mph.
3. Do not ride at a constant rpm for long periods of time.
4. Try to vary speed and load when riding.
5. Shift smoothly between gears and do not down shift at high rpm.
6. Always be sure the engine is warmed up before riding.
7. Follow the pre-ride inspection."

Would your route allow for these considerations?
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

ScaryMc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by ScaryMc » Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Not If I don’t want to get crushed by Denver traffic... Trailer it is.
Thanks for the info.
windmill wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:36 pm
ScaryMc wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:02 pm

2019-2021 owners manual;
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... g+copy.pdf

"ENGINE RUN-IN
During the first 600 miles it is important not to overload or over rev the engine while
riding. To ensure proper break-in you should ride the motorcycle conservatively at
varying speeds and loads. Use the following guidelines during the first 600 miles prior to
the initial break-in service:
1. Do not overload or “lug” the engine.
2. Do not exceed a top speed beyond 60mph.
3. Do not ride at a constant rpm for long periods of time.
4. Try to vary speed and load when riding.
5. Shift smoothly between gears and do not down shift at high rpm.
6. Always be sure the engine is warmed up before riding.
7. Follow the pre-ride inspection."

Would your route allow for these considerations?
2021 Tan Gear-Up Sahara

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 pm

ScaryMc wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 pm
Thanks for the info.
That may be a wise choice if your planned route includes freeways in the mountains, and if you're an experienced motorcyclist all your riding instincts will be wrong, but as a soon to be Ural owner here's something to think about.......

The common narrative that one will "get run over" going slower than the speed of "traffic" is BS, its really just an excuse for speeding. There's always slower vehicles than a Ural such as, trucks, busses, Rvs, utility vehicles, and there are still plenty of road users who don't drive like a bat out of hell, and no matter how fast one goes, there's others who will need to go faster. Also a sidecar is an oddball vehicle, drivers often slow down when the see one just to rubberneck at it, sometimes you'll find yourself being slowed down by them.

As a truck driver, and someone who has used a Ural as their primary transportation in a major urban area for 14 years, I can attest to the fact its not a real issue.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

ScaryMc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by ScaryMc » Sun May 09, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks Barry. I’m a very experienced rider on two wheels, but not with three. I rode a friends Ural a few years ago, but just enough to fall in love with it and realize it’s VERY different than being in two wheels.
I’ll likely drag a trailer over the mountain passes and break it in closer to home rather than risking prolonged, steady RPM’s and gain some skills before I get too stupid with it.
windmill wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 pm
ScaryMc wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 pm
Thanks for the info.
That may be a wise choice if your planned route includes freeways in the mountains, and if you're an experienced motorcyclist all your riding instincts will be wrong, but as a soon to be Ural owner here's something to think about.......

The common narrative that one will "get run over" going slower than the speed of "traffic" is BS, its really just an excuse for speeding. There's always slower vehicles than a Ural such as, trucks, busses, Rvs, utility vehicles, and there are still plenty of road users who don't drive like a bat out of hell, and no matter how fast one goes, there's others who will need to go faster. Also a sidecar is an oddball vehicle, drivers often slow down when the see one just to rubberneck at it, sometimes you'll find yourself being slowed down by them.

As a truck driver, and someone who has used a Ural as their primary transportation in a major urban area for 14 years, I can attest to the fact its not a real issue.
2021 Tan Gear-Up Sahara

ScaryMc
Comrade
Comrade

Post by ScaryMc » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:55 pm

unico wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation! Picked my new Gear Up today at Colorado Moto Service/Colorado Ural. First bike they’ve sold also!
Great guys, great service.
2021 Tan Gear-Up Sahara