Magellan Zumo 550 w/locking Touratech mount install

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Marine Corps Codu
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Magellan Zumo 550 w/locking Touratech mount install

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Wed May 13, 2020 9:51 pm

Well I have been wanting to do this since I bought the Gear Up, but rather than do a hurried job and take shortcuts (which ALWAYS seem to bite me in the arse later!) I waited until I had all the parts and the time to do it. So during this Covid-19 coronavirus lockdown I figured it is time.

3 years + ago my grandson took the liberty of relieving me of a lot of the miscellaneous things I had stored for my various bikes I have had over the years. So I was missing a few necessary parts. First missing was the cradle for the GPS unit. Second was the Touratech locking mount. And third was the doohickeys needed to fasten it to the handlebars.

So after a LOT of cussing and discussing with myself I started assembling the missing items. Thanks to Soviet Steeds members and Adventure Rider members I was able to source most of what I was missing. This particular GPS is too old for Touratech to maintain any parts any more. :( So after receiving 2 shipments from great people I started in today.

The most difficult part was deciding WHERE to mount it so I still had functionality and visibility needed. It took me about 4 hours to figure it out, make a bracket I needed to mount it to, assemble everything and hard wire it in. I was surprised I was able to remove the seat as quickly and reattach it in about 30 minutes.

And IT WORKS!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
Current 2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman/Sears Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ1000
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing GL1800
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW R1200GS
2018 Ural Gear Up

bgenest

Re: Magellan Zumo 550 w/locking Touratech mount install

Post by bgenest » Thu May 14, 2020 7:25 am

:cheers:
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Magellan Zumo 550 w/locking Touratech mount install

Post by Tin Man » Thu May 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Nice job...... :cheers:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........