2 into 1 exhaust on a 650 Ural

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

2 into 1 exhaust on a 650 Ural

Post by URALNUT60 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:45 am

I noticed that alot of 650 urals came from the factory with 2 into 1 factory exhaust, and advantages or disadvantages to this system compared to 2 into 2 system?

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2 into 1 exhaust on a 650 Ural

Post by Claus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:39 am

I can only tell from my own Ural 650 domestic model:
>It got always too hot with 2-in-1 Exhaust.
On German Autobahn or highway this was always critical. (where I do avoid Autobahn since a couple of years, because the trucks go like 90 kph and more and it´s no fun when you´ve got one of them 15 inches behind you and you can´t escape)
>The exhaust fumes of the left cylinder were always way hotter than from the right one (I suppose they were blocked by the header pipe)

Since I changed to 2-in-2 some 20 years ago it´s much better. It´s more complicated to change oil filter, because the front linking pipe is directly under the oil filter cap. But it´s possible to do the change without taking the headers off.
The original Russian headers and mufflers are poorly manufactured. So it´s a bit of a pain to installl the 2-in-2 system tight to the rig. I had parts fallen off during riding alot. Since I bought a German made stainless steel system all these problems are gone.

If it would be legal to ride a 2-in-1 system with more gas flow, it might be ok. But we have very strict noise emission laws here and you do more police-car detecting than riding with loud pipes. So I´m very satisfied with my less noisy 2-in-2 system.

I don´t ride the Ural as much as before. But there were long distance rides to Ukraine, to Scotland, to Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic. Couple of thousand km each. No overheating issues since the 2-in-2 system.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:46 am

FWIW, I had a modified 650 2 into 1 on my 750 and it ran fine. If one is free to do so, it is possible to tune for correct, uncompromised operation, and choose a muffler for desired noise level.

The oil change issue was enough of a pain, I made a replacement from scratch that eliminated the issue.

Top, modified 650. Bottom, homemade.
2 itno1 2.0 016 %28Large%29.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:31 am

Claus were did you buy stainless system? Is that header pipes and mufflers? You have pics? Thanks

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:57 am

I bought mine in 2008 from a guy who made a whole serie of them himself (about 150 sets). Headers, mufflers,linking pipes of flexible pipe. great parts. i purchased them for € 400,-- that time and no of the Uralistas was willing to pay that amount of money. After a year or so he went bancrupt and I bought all he had left (like 80 sets). My customers tore them off my hands and they were sold out within 2 or 3 months for 550 each (still a bargain). I have my set off the bike right now and if I find the time I make a picture.

The guy really built them in a good way. All inner pipes are 10% wider to create a better gas flow and the flexible linking pipe prevents from getting cracks by vibration or wrong installation. All was tested with a lambda probe on his own Ural with different carbs and ignition systems until he was satisfied prior to start of production.

He sold the tools to another company in Germany (I know the new owner from several motorcycle rallyes we both attended). In the moment he feels that it is too expensive to manufacture and just keeps the tools in the shed.
one picture I found in the internet:
Not easy to find pictures, because he stopped selling them in 2009
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,