Has anyone used the M2Boxer EFI retrofit for 2014-2018 Urals?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
SteppwolfMD
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Has anyone used the M2Boxer EFI retrofit for 2014-2018 Urals?

Post by SteppwolfMD » Wed May 06, 2020 4:44 am

Eric N wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:42 am
SteppwolfMD wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:58 pm
Hi Folks, because my parts for 750 Ural 07 stuck in Moscow due to cov19, I decide to order another EFI kit for Ural 650 from 91, so when Will receive will make few video with Installation. Hope that in 1 week will receive my order from Artemii.
Hi SteppwolfMD,

I'm starting the installation, and everything so far makes sense except the MAP sensor hose. Does it connect from the ECU to the underside of one of the throttle bodies? With the oil that gets into my current throttle bodies, that seems like a messy hole to plug into if oil starts to leak into the vacuum hose.
Hi Eric,

don't worry about this sensor, it is resistant to oil and gasoline.

Eric N
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Eric N » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Been delayed, but have started removing the ElectroJet wiring from the bike. Wiring is extra messy due to separate wiring for heated seat, grips, stereo, etc. Hoping to clean it all up pretty when I'm done. I did cut the black ground wires near the lug, one red wire for the diagnostic port, disconnected the red and purple wires from the fuse/ relay panel. I think I need to cut the blue/ black wire, and will likely cut the blue purple and blue orange wires that go to the speedometer for the check engine light and what the wiring diagram says is a tachometer feed that I haven't traced further. Most everything else, disconnected clean.
Removing EFI wiring.jpg
I'm going very slow, labeling everything in case I ever have to restore the old system.

The relay that came with the kit seems more straightforward than the Ural fuse panel, but I'm going to try and keep the stock relays if I can. The electrical connectors in the fuse panel are hopefully these:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?key ... 07029CT-ND I ordered 25 just in case I mess up, plus I'd love to be able to use the stock fuse panels for cleaner wiring both in the bike and sidecar. The silicone seals are normal, have plenty of those, but the blade holders are a guess.
Fuse Panel Connector.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 pm

EFI harness removed.jpg
The Electrojet wiring harness is now completely removed. Waiting on electrical connectors to reconnect the stock relays. Installation of the M2Boxer will be very clean, just got to make sure the 12V power works correctly. I labeled all the connections in case I ever need to reinstall, or if someone needs an Electrojet harness. Cut wires are the dash indicator light, the tachometer feed (which never worked), two wires coming off the kill switch, 4 or so ground wires and the red wire for the diagnostic port. Everything else removed clean with connectors intact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

SteppwolfMD
Comrade
Comrade

Post by SteppwolfMD » Tue May 19, 2020 11:43 am

Nice job !!!

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:36 pm

jugs pulled.jpg
Haven't had time to work on the bike for a few weeks. Pulled the jugs, removed top sidecar struts and just leaned the bike away to get the sidecar side off (too lazy to pull the tub). I think I can reinstall the same way.

Pistons are too tight for the wrist pins, honing and balancing those next.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:57 pm

Bike is back together, I'm trying to get it started.

Artsemi sent me an update and it's possible I screwed something up. Battery was low, and I am recharging the bike before I make my next attempt. It wanted a firmware update and I sent it the version 4.0 update. The bike won't start, it did backfire once and kickstarting has a nasty kickback. But the battery is low and I think I need to reset some settings. The throttle position sensor was thinking it was open 15% and it's totally closed. I'm watching Youtube videos to try and correct that.

A couple of observations from installing the kit:

The installation itself is pretty straightforward. The wiring harness is well marked. I chose to wire it to the existing relay which took a little figuring out of the Ural wiring diagram but not too bad.

The throttle bodies are slightly smaller than the Electrojet, at least on the cylinder head side. The stock 2018 compliance fittings did not work, I had to use the M2Boxer fittings which weren't as well made.

Once pressurized, the fuel pump turns off. On the Electrojet system it keeps running, with the M2Boxer the 2018 fuel pump turns off after a few seconds. It also turns back on momentarily as you kick the kickstarter.

I cannot find the Bluetooth connectivity.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:00 am

Eric N wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:57 pm
Once pressurized, the fuel pump turns off. On the Electrojet system it keeps running, with the M2Boxer the 2018 fuel pump turns off after a few seconds. It also turns back on momentarily as you kick the kickstarter.
The Ural Gen2 EFI, OE and retrofit kit also function like that, rather than run continuously.
I'm curious if there's an an advantage from an engineering standpoint.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:10 am

I found out from Artsemi that there's kinda two choices if you keep the stock Electrojet fuel pump.

Option 1 is let the controller turn the pump on and off. The advantage of this is silence and non continuous running.

Option 2 is let the fuel pump run all the time. This makes it easier to kickstart, the pump does not create enough pressure to be easy for kickstarting unless it is constantly running.

I'm weighing off wiring a "kickstart mode" switch to allow fuel pump options.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 pm

A little more info about the fuel pump controller. The microsquirt system primes the pump for 2 seconds. It's not doing it smartly, it's just programmed to prime for 2 seconds when the system is turned on. To kickstart one needs to turn the system on, then off, then on again to get enough priming to run the system.

I can rig a momentary switch under the seat that will let me prime the pump if I want to kickstart, otherwise it will default to the turns off mode.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold