Cheap Bluetooth Intercom

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Cheap Bluetooth Intercom

Post by sixbennetts » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:32 pm

I've been working on this for a while. It's a cheap, easy, simple, but VERY effective way to have turn-by-turn directions in your ear while riding, along with music, AND intercoms to your passenger, both on the back seat of the bike or in the sidecar. *Possibly even bike-to-bike depending on how close you ride, and phone placement on your bike or in your pocket.

First, get one of these:

3T6B Motorcycle Helmet Bluetooth Headset,Motorcycle Intercom Headset,Wireless Helmet Heaphones,Speakers Hands free,Music Call Control for Motor Motorbike, Motor Helmet Headsets (MH01) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TX8ZR9J/re ... -Db3Z0M7A9

If the link is dead, just search the title words. It's a cheap Bluetooth headset that can be mounted in almost any helmet. It connects to your phone via Bluetooth, and allows streaming and phone use. Usually $20 or less, sold under many names, and they SOUND AMAZING. Better than my old Sena half helmet unit. Nice loud speakers.

Or, use your choice of Bluetooth wireless headset or wired ear buds that let you make a phone call, (has a microphone in the volume control thingy).

Next, download Motolky. It's a small, free app that works well and only requires permission to use your phone and mic. It works like a walkie-talkie between your phones.

https://apkpure.com/motolky/com.motolky
Dead link? Just search Motolky.

1. Pair the headset to your phone, (or plug in your ear buds). This gives you mp3's from your phone, phone calls, and turn-by-turn directions via Google Maps, (download area maps 1st in case you leave cell coverage area). Or whatever map app you prefer that gives directions.

2. Pair your two phones, (or more!), together using Motolky. As long as the phones are within Bluetooth range, you'll have intercoms between the phones, and either Bluetooth or wired connection to your head! It works like a two-way intercom. You don't have to press a button to talk, just talk.

You can easily carry on a conversation without shouting, even from bike to enclosed sidecar! Your phone will automatically mute your music when Google Maps gives you a direction, and go back to music afterwards! (Most phones do this anyways). All for about 20 bucks!

*Music from one phone doesn't get transmitted to the other phone via Motolky, only voice. I have no connection to either of the above things, just passing on something that works.
PicsArt_12-19-01.54.18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Cheap Bluetooth Intercom

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Nice alternative to more expensive options
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:16 pm

That's good stuff. I have thought about headsets so the wife and I could talk normally with her as a pillion or monkey. But she rides with me so infrequently that I did not want the hassle of a headset mounted to my helmets. But, I also have a Garmin Zumo which will talk to me via Bluetooth and that is handy since watching a GPS can be distracting and dangerous. I've already hit a deer and ducked to have a turkey scrape my back so my eyes rarely leave the road.

Thanks for sharing. Need to look into these. Last time I looked, all the wireless stuff had rotten battery life. I suspect that may have changed with time.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:02 pm

These are amazing as far as battery life. One charge lasts me about 8 hours straight. I only putt around a hour or 2 each day, so on average they last about a week for just music/maps. Haven't used them nearly as much as intercom yet, but I doubt it matters.

Before I got these I had a Sena half helmet setup. The sound of these blows the Sena crap right out of the water.

But, you don't need these for Motolky to work between 2 phones. My wife uses just regular phone earbuds to her phone in her pocket sometimes. She puts the earbuds in, puts her helmet on, and just jams the microphone thingy into a fold in the inner helmet padding near her mouth.

We talk just about like normal going down the road, even at 50mph.

Plattsburgh NY

disposable

Post by disposable » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:42 am

is there an apple version of Motolky?
2014 Gear Up
previous-
2009 Triumph Bonneville
Classcode 03-K64, Firefly

codemonkey001
Party Member
Party Member

Post by codemonkey001 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:03 am

disposable wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:42 am
Probably not. It was banned from the Google app store. Only place it can be found is shady side-loading sites known for distributing malware like the one linked above. The version linked above hasn't been updated in 4 years. this is the highest rated app in the google play store that also has an iOS version.
2007 Patrol - Starbug
2015 Royal Enfield Classic 500 -Rocinante

BloNo Illinois

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for that, codemonkey001. Downloaded and trying it now. How does it maintain comms between 2 vehicles that are no longer within Bluetooth range?

I've had the same apk for Motolky for years. Works really well on every phone we've tried it on, but if this new app works better, I'm all for it!

Plattsburgh NY

codemonkey001
Party Member
Party Member

Post by codemonkey001 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:18 pm

sixbennetts wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:10 pm
Thanks for that, codemonkey001. Downloaded and trying it now. How does it maintain comms between 2 vehicles that are no longer within Bluetooth range?

I've had the same apk for Motolky for years. Works really well on every phone we've tried it on, but if this new app works better, I'm all for it!
I suppose you could set up one as a wifi hotspot, allowing for a bit longer range than bluetooth. Otherwise there are a bunch of apps that use the phone's internet access; still dependent on decent data connection, unfortunately. For my personal use, bluetooth is more than adequate, as I'll only be talking with my passenger, not other bikes.
2007 Patrol - Starbug

BloNo Illinois

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Yup, same with us. Rider to pillion or sidecar.

Installed your suggested app, playing with it now. Once you have it on two phones, and they're paired, do you have to push PTT every time, or is it open mic? Motolky is an open mic, just like a phone call. I can't imagine having to tap the phone every time you want to talk.

Plattsburgh NY

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm

codemonkey001 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:03 am
disposable wrote:
Probably not. It was banned from the Google app store. Only place it can be found is shady side-loading sites known for distributing malware like the one linked above. The version linked above hasn't been updated in 4 years.
codemonkey001 -- Are you saying the link in sixbennets' post takes the user to a confirmed malware site? Does a Moderator need to step in here?
sixbennetts wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:32 pm
Next, download Motolky. It's a small, free app that works well and only requires permission to use your phone and mic. It works like a walkie-talkie between your phones.

<<link removed by Lofty>>

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

codemonkey001
Party Member
Party Member

Post by codemonkey001 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Lofty wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm
codemonkey001 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:03 am
disposable wrote:
Probably not. It was banned from the Google app store. Only place it can be found is shady side-loading sites known for distributing malware like the one linked above. The version linked above hasn't been updated in 4 years.
codemonkey001 -- Are you saying the link in sixbennets' post takes the user to a confirmed malware site? Does a Moderator need to step in here?
sixbennetts wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:32 pm

<<link removed by Lofty>>

Not confirmed. I just stay away from any site with "apk" in the URL that offers Android sideloaded apps because too many are pirated/offer malware-infested hacked versions. I'm not trying to suggest sixbennets was doing anything untoward, just that apps only available outside of Google's testing and verification mechanism are often there for a reason, and the process of adding them to your device opens it up to other potentially dangerous attack vectors.
2007 Patrol - Starbug

BloNo Illinois

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:42 pm

codemonkey001 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:27 pm
I just stay away from any site with "apk" in the URL that offers Android sideloaded apps because too many are pirated/offer malware-infested hacked versions.

...apps only available outside of Google's testing and verification mechanism are often there for a reason, and the process of adding them to your device opens it up to other potentially dangerous attack vectors.
Thanks, cm001. It's good to know that the "apk" prefix is a possible red flag.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)