Oxford Heated Grips Style Choice ? Others?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
bratmanxj
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Oxford Heated Grips Style Choice ? Others?

Post by bratmanxj » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Lmo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:02 am
This is one of the reasons I've never been much a fan of heated grips and usually try to persuade people to use headed gloves (or liners like I have). The palm may be warm but the wind still makes the knuckles and fingers are still cold. While it's not as "readily available" to use like heated grips if you need it in a pinch, it works better overall.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Claus wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:13 pm
That´s in Trieben, near Hohentauern, Austria. The motorcycle rallye was held at the Edelrautenhütte, a mountain hut, altitude 1725m.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Edelr ... d14.432564
The last 5 km road is a sledge run through a forest, quite steep.
Thank you. :)

Not for wimps, by the look of it :lol:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Lmo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:23 pm
Very real safety concern; not with Oxford in particular, but 'all' heated grips. Report (BMWMOA member) of 1st degree burns on the palms as a result of sensed temperature (by the rider's hands) under very cold outside temperature.
This reminds me of something I saw a while ago, probably a TV program, anyway it was about a wagon train trying to get over the Rockies? But were caught by bad weather, deep snow etc., trapped, were trying to keep warm wth open fires (they were sawing trees down) BUT while one side of their bodies is being roasted the opposite is freezing. Out in the open, no shelters. (Was a big scandal at the time, because they were starving, there was cannibalism involved. :( )
Mike H

MonkeysUncle

Post by MonkeysUncle » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:36 pm

Donner party, party being a misnomer. The area is now known as "Donner Pass".
Rode my 900cc Ninja from San Jose CA to Reno NV one winter night. With two other bikes and they kept pushing the speed.
The first part of the ride was at 100mph plus, then the cold forced us to reduce speed to around 70mph. At that speed the CA Highway Patrol was able to overtake us. Troopers were friendly, told us we were crazy to be going that fast mid-winter and especially at night. Ticket was $130.00.
2008 KLR650
2013 GearUp

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks! That deffo sounds like it. :D
Mike H

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 am

I love my Oxford grips. I used to think I'd only ever want the Triumph or BMW heated grips on my bikes (they are both excellent) but the Oxford heated grips are equally good. That being said, don't be a dummy and burn your hands with them. Pretty soon they're going to need a disclaimer of all the parts of your body that you shouldn't stick in them or around them :D

If you make a quick aluminum bracket, the installation can look pretty spiffy too. I like the controls on the left hand (so I can adjust while I keep my hand on the throttle) and try to keep it where ergonomically it's not much movement for my thumb. These are the $53 Amazon specials that I got recently (the second set I've owned) and they work great. If it's too cold for these, then I need muffs, or to stay home.
20200111_093343_resized.jpg
20200111_093351_resized.jpg
20200111_093358_resized.jpg
20200111_093411_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:24 pm

Lmo wrote:
Every hour or so I switched off the grips for 15 minutes, because they became too warm.
Very real safety concern; not with Oxford in particular, but 'all' heated grips. Report (BMWMOA member) of 1st degree burns on the palms as a result of sensed temperature (by the rider's hands) under very cold outside temperature.
Oxfords don't get hot enough for this to happen. On any trip longer than half an hour, they're only good enough for around 30 degrees, below that I wear a Gerbing liner and gloves.

Also, was that guy wearing gloves at all? I've done a lot of cold weather riding with heated grips of all kinds, especially BMW. I call BS on this story.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 am

eastbloc wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:24 pm
Lmo wrote:
Every hour or so I switched off the grips for 15 minutes, because they became too warm.
Oxfords don't get hot enough for this to happen. On any trip longer than half an hour, they're only good enough for around 30 degrees, below that I wear a Gerbing liner and gloves.

Also, was that guy wearing gloves at all? I've done a lot of cold weather riding with heated grips of all kinds, especially BMW. I call BS on this story.
Does anybody have a temperature gun that can double check this? Typically hospitals in the US pick 120-122 degrees F as the highest they'll allow water temperatures to minimize risk of scalding people (especially those with thin skin and limited mobility). I would think that the Oxford grip heaters get hotter than that.

I don't say this as a shot at Oxford; they make an excellent product that when used responsibly, works great.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:25 pm

You can save the money on the controller (by ordering the grips only) and simply wire the two Oxford grips in SERIES.

One, on-off switch inline, and you are done with the wiring part.

You will have one heat setting. Which is sorta between LO and HI, but probably closer to LO.

But you will never have issues with the expensive controller, ever, and if you wire them to the fuse panel like I did, the turn signal fuse to be exact, they will never accidentally be left on when the ignition is turned off.
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Kaliram

Post by Kaliram » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:54 am

:clap: BikeMaster Heated Grips with LCD Switch (7/8")
Only $55 on Amazon.

The 5 level controller will automatically heat the grips to whatever setting you choose for however long you choose, and then settle down to whatever other setting you choose.

Mine are set to go on at the level 5 highest setting for 2 minutes, and then back off to level 3, so the the grips are all toasty about the same time the bike is warmed up.

Simple plug ‘n’ play wiring...and nice and comfy at 16 deg. F the other day here in the Colorado Rockies!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NYBZ4CQ/re ... qEbZ7DWMKJ
Current ride: 2019 Ural Gear Up, O.D. Green (“Jyoti”)
Blasts in the past: 2016 Ural Gear Up ("Shanti ")
2012 Ural Gear Up ("Tootles")
2009 KLX250, 2009 KLR650, 2004 BMW R1150GSA, 1966 Honda 305 SuperHawk

“Your life comes with a lifetime guarantee.”

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 am

Oxfords for sale $52 + shipping (not my ad, just a happy consumer):

Oxford OF692Z Heaterz Premium Sports Heated Handlebar Grips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009T48F6E/re ... qEbAVT53M6