Adventure tablet?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Adventure tablet?

Post by sixbennetts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:37 am

Oldest son wants to get us a tablet to replace our tired old home PC.

"But don't we need a keyboard?", I say.
"They make keyboards for tablets, dad", he says in his 'duh' voice.
"But what about a printer?", I say.
"Wireless, duh", is his spicy retort.

So, I guess we're switching over to a tablet for the house, and retiring the old PC. Why post about it here? Advice. See, he's flexible on which one we choose, (obviously he knows what features would be best for us at the house here), but I'd like to get you guys' input.

If you were gonna use a tablet on the road with you, camping on a motorcycle, what one would you want?

-GPS capable with previously downloaded maps, (while on wifi before leaving), so Barb can follow along while we're riding, and suggest route changes & attractions, etc.
-AM/FM radio would be nice, so Bluetooth capable to our helmets.
-able to link it to my phone for 3G use.
-taking a few movies/TV shows with us for rainy days.
-Facebook Messenger video chats when we connect to wifi, (house/campground etc).
-at least weather resistant, but waterproof would be better if there is such a thing.
-rechargeable off the bike while riding.
-daylight viewable.
-Android would be nice because all our phones are Android and we both seem to be good enough to understand them!
-something bigger than our smartphones, but not as big as a laptop, (and obviously not a laptop). We videochat with our son in Germany, and doing it on a phone isn't optimal. Something big and clear we can see and hear him better.

So, something that works both at the house, but also go with us in the Ural.

Suggestions?
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Adventure tablet?

Post by stagewex » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:32 am

I tried using an iPad as my primary as opposed to a laptop. It was great for anything to do on-line, streaming and control functions at work. But I never was able to get it to do or replace everything the laptop could do... which had in fact replaced a desktop. Do they even sell those anymore?

Keep in mind that with cloud-based smart pads it's probably more doable nowadays than say 6-7 years ago when I got my first iPad.

But I needed a real keypad without it being an accessory. Believe me, going from a desktop to a laptop was a big enough change.

Some of the very high-end European off-road racers now come with Samsung Tablets instead of speedos & tachometers for their controls/functions. Not custom like some folks do here, factory!

Check out this AJP PR7 commercial. They used to come with Samsung's that you could detach from the bike and use as a tablet for anything. Now it looks like they have switched to Asus's. Watch the video on the bottom of the link below to watch 3 minutes of Portuguese Motocross & Enduro Racer Henrique Nogueira make it seem to frikken easy.
I don't think a tablet would last long with me riding my dirt bake:

http://motoajp.com/enduros/models-features/pr-7/
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

isldtime
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by isldtime » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 am

Take a look at Chrome Books....
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

SidecarDan
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by SidecarDan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 am

I bought a tablet and keyboard a couple of years ago thinking it could replace my desktop. Sometimes I use it to play crib now.
Just remember, tablets don't have a mouse and unless that has changed since I got mine using a touch screen all the time was a pain in the a$$ for me.
Just my two cents.
Dan
2012 Forest Fog Gear-Up
128/42 jets
7/64ths drilled slides
2013 branch pipes
Yamaha petcock

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:12 pm

I have an IPad and an IMac. The IMac is better by far but you can't carry a 21" screen computer around and just plug it in everywhere. IPad, along with a bluetooth speaker, is for trips . Music. Movies. Camera. Internet. Email. Cloud makes cross file sharing simple.

I'm not a fan boy of Apple but I migrated to them when the bollix of Windows 95 through 98 made cross communication between devices a challenging as a good game of Go. Never saw a reason to go back.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Great advice here, thanks guys. I think we're aiming at 10" for a size.
Do they make tablets with an FM radio receiver built in? I'm familiar with the internet radio apps like Pandora, but we like to listen to a radio when we camp.

One of our other sons has an iPad and I've seen him sit on our couch and use a optical mouse on the arm of the couch. He also said you can get a case for a tablet that it snaps into and has a keyboard, so it's kinda like a laptop. I think we'll probably do that on the little table we keep our dinosaur PC on now.

Plattsburgh NY

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:31 pm

I'd recommend that you first visit a store that has tablet/keyboard combinations on display. You'll want to get a sense of just how much smaller the screen size and particularly the keyboard is when compared to a laptop, to say nothing of a traditional PC. If you can make peace with the downsized architecture, then you should be able to make an informed purchase decision. (I tried it, and didn't like it, but obviously many do find it useful, or at least tolerable.)

In terms of taking movie and TV show downloads with you for viewing at camp, determine the largest micro SDHC card that the tablet can accommodate. E.g., 64 vs 128 GB. Depending on the resolution at which said downloads are saved, you'll use up that memory faster than you might think.
Last edited by Lofty on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Remember these?

images.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41 pm

stagewex wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:34 pm
Remember these?

images.jpeg
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Gateway!!
PicsArt_11-26-01.41.08.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plattsburgh NY

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:03 pm

I grew up using computers from the first PC that IBM made. Back then there was one computer the office shared.

I have had a laptop since laptops became practical. I still use a laptop. I bought my wife and iPad because she was never a computer person and for her, it does the trick. I tried using it rather than dragging out my laptop and as much as I tried to like it, I grew to hate it. I want a keyboard and a mouse. I can live with a joystick or touchpad if no mouse is available. But I always have a mouse in my computer bag.

Things may have changed, but the iPad cannot do a bunch of things at the same time. By now they may. I've heard that the Surface is just like using a laptop. If you touch-type, make sure you like the keyboard. Nothing like hitting a set of hot keys and losing all your work.

With today's phones, I tend to think that a tablet is sort of outmoded. A decent laptop and a smart phone should serve all your needs.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 am

Make sure you get one with usb ports. We use tablets at work for filling out ISO reports and use flash drives to upload them onto the tablet. Well we recently changed phone providers and the new provider sold my office manager on 5 new tablets. I thought it was great until they came in and I started setting them up. No usb ports. Major pain in the rear.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:06 am

USB1, 2 and 3 ports are disappearing from most devices now just like CD players are gone from new cars.
Stagewex

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Well, Barb went and looked at tablets. Sam's and Best Buy have the 10" Samsung Tab A 32gb for $160-ish. It's the wifi only one, so no 3G-4G connection, but I'm used to downloading all the different maps I'd need for a trip, with all the different map apps I use.

Says it has GPS, too.

Plattsburgh NY

isldtime
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by isldtime » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:22 pm

sixbennetts wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm
Well, Barb went and looked at tablets. Sam's and Best Buy have the 10" Samsung Tab A 32gb for $160-ish. It's the wifi only one, so no 3G-4G connection, but I'm used to downloading all the different maps I'd need for a trip, with all the different map apps I use.

Says it has GPS, too.
I have that same tablet I play games on.
It will not replace a PC!
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am

look at the Microsoft Surface Pro.

I am a (reluctant) Apple guy....... but I used one of these for a while at work (at my Ambulance job, not the Fire Dept). It is the best thing I’ve seen that bridges the gap between a tablet and a computer. It can be used as both. The keyboard is magnetic and doubles as a protective case. They work well. You can get them in WiFi only or in full cellular form. They are a bit more pricey than the tablets you are looking at.... but this is a case of “you get what you pay for”. I’m not saying anything bad about the Samsung, or other tablets for that matter. It just that a normal tablet will never do everything you want (without some very tech savvy work arounds, anything is possible with enough nerd knowledge (I are a nerd)). I think you would end up being frustrated with a normal tablet. The Surface pro just plain works. When everything else was messed up tech wise at work, that thing never failed.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida