Making a differnt seating position for the wife

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Making a differnt seating position for the wife

Post by Curshe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 am

The Wife has RA bunch of hardware in her back and bad knees, so getting on a bike with me or down low in the car has been a problem so repositoning the seat.
shaping1.jpg
shaping2.jpg
ready for cushion.jpg
Seat still below top of car but only by three or four inches so added sides will cover later just got the frame now have some pleather stuff with stuffing, got to get staples for my gun then will get it covered, spray adhesive should get the arms.
Got springs so hope it will be all cushy. have more storage under seat and can still get at the back rest cushion, made from 5\8ths marine plywood seat frame doubled and all screwed and epoxied so should hold bottom plate is setup to use original pin stop.
Most rigs here Ural, mine is Dnepr but oh well is close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curt
Just traded for
2000 Mt11 Definitely a project runs but broken valve spring loose ring gear rough final drive bearings and worn shocks but is mobile to some extent.
my stable
79 Harley FLH 80 inch shovel
2010 flstc Heritage softail

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Making a differnt seating position for the wife

Post by Lmo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am

Most rigs here Ural, mine is Dnepr but oh well is close.
Nice project Curt!

And no wannabe whining about Dneprs allowed. Post some more pics of your rig!
IMG_6488-850x650.jpg
Ever thought of strapping a chair on that Shovel?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:48 am

A worthy project, I hope it works out.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Very nicely done. Cane bracket is available if you want one. PM me if interested.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:40 pm

You don't have a Dnepr Lew. You have a Uper, dont' you? Or is that Dnurl?? Still think your hack fender is much more handsome than the Ural fender.

I agree, nice execution on the project. If you have not already done so, I'd get the wife to test out the framework before you go to the trouble of covering it. See if it does the trick for her. I hope it does. If she sits much higher, you are going to have to put Vecro on her bottom to keep her in the hack. :wink:
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Curshe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Snakeoil
I did have her sit in it to get seat height right, so it was easy for her to get in and up and still be below the top of the tub. Put springs in so can keep cushion thinner so seating position will still be below top of tub.
blank.jpg
I had to raise the seat level a bit to keep the sides so it will lift in and out, but left the sides high enough that it has arm rests that will give support and the whole thing will be bolted to the floor. So hopefully will give her support, when she rode with me would get a rap on the helmet now and again if foot boards scraped so she will keep me in line :D
Curt
Just traded for
2000 Mt11 Definitely a project runs but broken valve spring loose ring gear rough final drive bearings and worn shocks but is mobile to some extent.
my stable

Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Curshe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:20 pm

"Ever thought of strapping a chair on that Shovel?
I did but good gosh side cars are expensive! and most of time have to make your own mounts. So just looked.
I had built a 37 jag kit car for the Wife but she got to where she couldn't get in it so put it up for sale kept getting typical craigslist my stuff good your stuff bad offers till the Dnepr popped up had been looking at a couple but price to high. the guy with Dnepr wanted to trade and I figured it was close enough to what I wanted so a trade was made. And been a steady job since :lol:
But now proud owner of m-11 Dnepr still to be named, The poor old shovel may be put on the block to finance a trip east. got enough critters anyway.
Curt
Just traded for
my stable

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:14 am

Curshe wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 am
so getting on a bike with me or down low in the car has been a problem so repositoning the seat.
Is getting in/out the problem or just the seating position?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 145,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Claus

Post by Claus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:00 am

Curt,
I understand that you will take this seat out after use to be able to close tha tarp.
Why don´t you build a complete and solid chair for her with solid backrest, that you can install instead of the original chair? (what I mean is, you take seat and original back rest out and put your self made chair in). You could have a litte hook, that goes into the seat´s hole in the floor and a snap lock that goes into the back rest´s lock in the car. (or add two butterfly bolts on top of the trunk or whatsoever)

The reason I suggest that type of seat is:
1st: better weight distribution
2nd: better feeling when the back rest belongs to the cair and is not wobbly and somehow far away from the back
3rd: better connection to the side car and more secure
4th: longer back rest, like with the original seat.
5th: noticeably stronger construction

I like your design with the stable grips and the thickness of the wood you use is totally ok and I reckon, it would be not too much of an effort to build a complete and solid chair by just add a back rest that goes the whole way to the floor

If you need to know things about the upholstery feel free to ask. That´s part of my work
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:32 pm

I did but good gosh side cars are expensive!
Shovel + Dnepr sidecar = :)
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Curshe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:39 pm

Clause
The seat can be taken out but is built to pin in the original pin hole. The bottom plate goes back under the original seat back cushion and pin holes, the front I will make a plate that will bolt to the bottom board and then bolt that to the floor, the seat back of the car is still at a pretty comfortable height at just under the shoulder blades, but if need be can remove it and build back that will screw and glue to seat and arms.
Have an old recliner that I was going to use for upholstery, use spray adhesive and staples see how that goes. Thanks for the offer of help I need it, my expertise is 20/20, 20 feet and 20 mph and it looks good. :oops:
Eh getting late and getting spacey better shut down wanted to put up another pic but on iPad and have most of the pictures on the laptop just easier to work on them there.
Curt
Just traded for
my stable

Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Curshe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:40 pm

John
Getting in and out is a problem. One of the reasons I was looking at sidecars, got to where she couldn’t ride behind me anymore.
Hoping the Dnepr will be nice and slow cruise the back roads sort of thing. Even with the lifted seating the car windscreen still is in a good position , about like the factory Harley on Heritage so should still work
Curt
Just traded for
my stable

Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Curshe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Lew
Not sure I would want to weld mounts to the shovel, especially with the Dnepr sitting watching. (They have eyes) :o if I had a side car Harley would be neat but don’t think would graft a car to one
Curt
Just traded for
my stable

Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Curshe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:48 am

Clause:
Went out and removed car back cushion, cut a bit out of bottom boards to move back my seat.
Brought your first point into perspective, didn’t realize how far forward I was, so I have to reassess my build, will slide it back attach back. Little rework
Kind of amazing I thought it looked fairly good till reading your post a time or two and then deciding to pull back cushion, suddenly could see your point of weight distribution just didn’t realize how far in front of axle I had the seat. Putting cushion and back on seat will move it back to over wheel, should help a bunch with weight distribution.
Thanks for keeping an eye on out for sidecar newb, would have been a weight forward pile for sure
Curt
Just traded for
my stable

Curshe
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Curshe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Taking Advise from Clause and others have revised the seat some. Have been down a bit had a bout of foul health got the flu or some such and I am not a good patient I don't sick.
Anyway got around to doing again and got the seat in a working position. seat is sitting right over the wheel now so balance should be good, looks fair have to get a real upholsterer to do the seat later but will work for now. Just need to do the hold down points yet but not to bad .
Got things looking like this now, won't look to bad as long as somebody sitting in it upholstery not my strong suite but will do fer now :lol:
back.jpg
cushion.jpg
back and cushion.jpg
in car.jpg
Curt
Just traded for
my stable