Dobeck EJK

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
KPMcAtee

Dobeck EJK

Post by KPMcAtee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:12 am

New to Soviet Steeds...and URALs. Trying to eliminate the chugs and snorts and coughs from my '18 GearUp. Ski did a great job installing a Dobeck EJK. Factory settings helped, but did not cure. Now I'm playing with various settings.

Read through most of the comments regarding the EJK but haven't yet found any setting recommendations. Anyone able to provide me a shortcut to the best setting combo, or recommendations for combos worth trying?

In the mean time I'll keep playing.

Thanks very much.

Kevin

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Dobeck EJK

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:40 am

KPMcAtee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:12 am
New to Soviet Steeds...and URALs. Trying to eliminate the chugs and snorts and coughs from my '18 GearUp. Ski did a great job installing a Dobeck EJK. Factory settings helped, but did not cure. Now I'm playing with various settings.

Read through most of the comments regarding the EJK but haven't yet found any setting recommendations. Anyone able to provide me a shortcut to the best setting combo, or recommendations for combos worth trying?

In the mean time I'll keep playing.

Thanks very much.

Kevin
are you sure the dealer loaded the OR1.02 to OR1.03 map? might suggest the OBDwiz software to balance the TBs. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

54vintage

Post by 54vintage » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Have you thought about renting Dobecks SAFR tool? I installed the EJK on my 2014.....it had the from the factory map still in place....it made a huge difference in the bike.....99.9 % cured. I rented the tool just to see if it was running rich or lean......turns out it was on the money.

I've heard some things about the Dobeck unit....boils down to....It didn't do a darn thing, not worth the money.....it helped a lot, I'm glad I got it. I fall into it helped a lot category. You might chat with the Dobeck boys and see what they have to say. Also I wouldn't go punching in new numbers unless you have that SAFR tool....or if you do make sure you have the original numbers for the rig.

If you can get it running like mine....you'll be very happy....no more of that factory :bs:

:cheers:

Chuck
Chuck Loftin
2002 BMW GSA with 2005 Ural tub
2014 Sage Green GU....off to a new home

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 am

Welcome Kevin,

What air filter do you have?

Have you modified the snorkel?

Stock exhaust?

The Dobek isn't a cure for everything but I notice a good difference between it being on and turned off. K&N air filter will lean the bike out just a tad and I noticed a subtle change (might just be in my head) trimming the snorkel a little. I run stock exhaust, but it's possible an exhaust change would also alter settings.

Have you enabled your tachometer in our speedometer? What RPM range/ conditions are you getting chugs, snorts, coughs? Part of that could be settings, part could be you're lugging the engine. The Ural likes to be in the 3,500 - 4,500 rpm zone, 2,500 rpm unless you're on the flat and not trying to accelerate, is lugging it.

One of the Dobek transition settings, and I think it's yellow/blue at .5 seems to kick in around 2,600 rpm. That's not a good power zone for the Ural and if you try to cruise there, the bike will be kinda weirded out. A mix of almost lugging and the unit sending conflicting pulse data to the controllers. Mine handles great just above or below that zone, but I don't stay there. The bike's happy powerband is above that, 3,500 - 5,000 rpm.

If you haven't hooked up your built in tachometer, it's pretty easy (search the site, it's been a year since I did it so my step by step is fuzzy). You might want to play with what powerband you're driving in before doing too many tweaks to the Dobek.

K&N air filter, snorkel cut in half, stock exhaust, 6,000' driving altitude and I'm currently:

Green 2.5 - This is Green zone, about 1,400 rpm - 2,600 rpm, no need to dump a ton of fuel but I have it at 2.5 to ease that 2,600 rpm adjustment
Yellow 4 - Yellow zone is 2,600 rpm to 5,000ish? - This setting will give you the main difference on the unit
Red 0.5 - Red is wide open throttle above 5,000ish, it's already pretty well mixed in that range

I would leave the /blue alone, but here's what they do.
Green/Blue 4 - If you change the Green zone, it will want the EJK to kick in at lower RPM's and your idle can get messy
Yellow/Blue 0.5 - Puts the Green to Yellow transition at about 2,600 rpm.
Red/Blue 4 - Puts the Yellow to Red transition at about 5,000 rpm

Dobek's site is giving me an error, in the past it demonstrated how changing some settings would alter when/ how the unit adds fuel
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/EJK-ope ... ?#settings
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Jomy

Post by Jomy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:35 am

Changes I made;cats are gone;K&N air filter.
After measurment with AFR-meter.....on the road...the settings I have are
Gr/3--Yel/0,5--Rd/0,5--GB/0,5--YB/0,5--RB/4
Afr-meter is from Innovate;wideband lambda probe

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm

I found a working version of the "Here's how the settings kinda work" Flash thing at http://electronicjetkit.com/EJK-tuning.asp

Jomy - In that your settings would only impact low RPM's and make a really rich idle, do you find any real advantage of the EJK over just removing the thing?
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Jomy

Post by Jomy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:38 am

The settings I have are needed for the off idle stumble only . Compare to a larger idle jet . Also , in the EU , the gas is different . Regular Pump gas E95 hase 10% ethanol .

Jomy

Post by Jomy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 am

There can be a difference in the ecu programming between the US and the EU . It is difficult to compare that way .

scottmastrocinque
Party Member
Party Member

Post by scottmastrocinque » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:11 am

I think I have decided to purchase the Dobeck Performance EJK and SAFR products. My 2017 off idle stumbling drives me nuts and I would like to fix this issue and also be able to fully see what is going on in my rig AFR wise.

Was anybody else done this and can offer constructive feedback? Although all feedback is appreciated, I'm specifically hoping to find input from people who have done this, and not just the detractors please.

Thank you!

Scott
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

davek

Post by davek » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:22 pm

I installed the EJK on my 2017 Gear Up, although I did not rent the SAFR tool (perhaps this winter). My experience was that I could see an improvement out-of-box. I discussed some things with a tech at Dobeck at the time and he told me that the factory setting of the EJK would be richer than stock.

My in-town surging improved to the point of disappearing. I couldn't make it surge at all, even trying to provoke the beast. Idle still pops a bit now and then, especially when you sit long enough for the idle to slow down. This brings up a point that I have not chased down to date. Namely, after cruising and then coming to a stop light, the idle is on the high side at first and then comes down slowly. I don't have a tach, so do not know the specifics.

I should note that I also changed to a K & N filter during the install. If you are going to install the fuel injector connectors can be a real PITA. Luckily I have a little pick tool with a 90 degree bend at the end that sticks out about 1/2 inch. This was a great help, because on the right cylinder you basically need to lift the latch that is on the bottom side of the connector slide and it is hard to get to. Also don't forget that the injectors themselves can be gently rotated and that also helps.

I experimented with setting the cruise a couple notches higher and did see slightly better performance on uphill sections, but deemed it not worth the extra fuel consumption. I judged the loss as 3-4 mpg, but this was not done as a strictly controlled experiment. Even so, the out-of-box hill climb performance increased.

In my opinion the purchase was worthwhile. Of course, the Veterans discount helped. Good luck.
dkollen
Brookings, OR

Current rides:
2017 Gear-up "Honey Badger"
w/ off-road package, Givi windshield,
and black, ceramic-coated high-rise exhaust
1972 Suzuki GT550 (being restored)

Previous rides
2005 Goldwing, 2000 Kawasaki W-650
200x BMW R1200C, 2002 BMW K1200
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, 1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1974 Kawasaki KZ750, 1973 Honda CL450
1972 Suzuki GT550 (not the same one as above)
(2) 1972 Suzuki TS250,
1971 Yamaha RT 360, 196x Honda 50 "pasture rider"

scottmastrocinque
Party Member
Party Member

Post by scottmastrocinque » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you davek for your valuable input!
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

Stryker
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Stryker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm

There was a thread a year or so ago. Although I can not seem to find it now, about installing some dyna ignition coils. If I remember correctly, it really helped with low speed surging and popping. I think this was it. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49380&p=640809&hil ... ls#p640809
2016 GU Sportsman
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (long gone)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Some of us with old Urals didn't even know what that was. kind of a relief not needing it though.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:35 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:26 pm
Some of us with old Urals didn't even know what that was. kind of a relief not needing it though.
Having one old, and one new....... I'll take the one minor quirk that comes with all the other significant benefits of the new any day.

Opinion biased on years of actual ownership experience. :wink:

And the folks with 2019s don't even have the quirk. :!:
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:15 pm

I have one on my '14 and am happy with it. Settings at: Grn 4: Yel 5: Red 2: Grn/Bl 4: Yel/BL .5: Red/Bl 4. OEM first generation map never upgraded. Ceramic coated exhaust by Jet hot. TB's with vacuum balancing ports.

Your problem might be the cables aren't synced. Get a helper and have them very slowly open the throttle. If you press a finger really hard (like till it hurts) against the TB connection at the adjuster screw you can see if they move in unison. Balanced vacuum at idle does not necessarily mean they'll open evenly.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"