Enduro seat experience.

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Enduro seat experience.

Post by Lofty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 pm
Possibly add the passenger grab handle.
A GREAT suggestion! I had completely forgotten that I have those stored away.
The pax handles were OEM fitments on my rig, as was the Enduro seat. No probs.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:58 am

I took the long way to work this morning and, while the jury is still out, the initial feeling is that I don't like the Enduro seat. :o

First, while the long bench aspect is nice as a "working surface" for my riding gear, it's considerably lower than my rear tractor saddle was. I miss the height of that thing.

Second, I miss having the tall rear saddle to grab onto, for moving the bike and steadying myself as I mount and kickstart. Even if I installed the low passenger grab handles, they wouldn't be as effective for me as the nice, high rubber loop right in my face.

Next, when I plopped down on it this morning, fully geared-up in winter riding apparel, I could definitely notice those two lost inches. In order to have a comfortable reach to the handlebar, I had to sit more forward than my knees would prefer.

Then, while riding, the lower Enduro seat caused me to look through my windscreen, unless I sat up proper and erect, like in my photos. This isn't really a deal-breaker and, in fact, I really enjoyed being in the calm, quiet bubble of air behind the 'screen.

Also, while you would think that I would feel more secure on this solidly-mounted seat, it actually felt MORE... unstable? That's not quite the correct word. "Loose"? It was the foam. While definitely more plush than the tractor saddle, I didn't have a solid connection feeling to the bike, like I get with my reinforced tractor saddle.

Now, on the plus side, it WAS nice to be able to be able to move around easily, but that seemed more of a gimmick to me on this short ride, because the reach to the handlebar limits how far back I can usefully slide. The foam is DEFINITELY more plush and comfortable than the saddle's rubber web and block, but it felt too bouncy and loose to me.

I'll miss how easy it was for me to just pop-off the tractor saddle. I could have that thing off in under a minute.

BUT, this is just a first ride on something new and foreign. I'll give myself a little time to adjust to it before making a verdict.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 am

Very interesting, the plush foam aspect is exactly what I want. I tried to recreate the effect with the single seat by using softer springs, but didn't work. It just "flapped about" and what to me is the more secure feel of the Enduro was missing.

Might indeed be better for you if you can make it higher.

As for moving around on the seat, I don't actually, it's just that I seem to like to have my butt further back than any single seat will allow. Can't explain why. Well yes I can, one thing it takes stress off my back, by having a more lean forward stance, than bolt upright. Which I can't do for long. Also I got used to riding Moto Guzzis for years with that same kind of posture.

As for the missing rear pillion seat handle, never had one, so I'm not missing what I never had! :D

As for moving the rig around rom the rear, I use the rear loop "handle" that goes around the tail light.

Not criticizing, just showing the differences.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 am
Very interesting, the plush foam aspect is exactly what I want.
Comfort is subjective, meaning personal preference is exactly that.

With the foregoing in mind, I wouldn't consider the OEM Enduro seat to be plush, in the sense that it can provide prolonged comfort. It's just the opposite, in my own experience. After 20 minutes or so, the price point foam* in the seat causes hot spots in my sit bones. I correctly sussed that this would occur the first time I sat on the seat, during the test ride at the dealer.

With no ill intent intended here, it seems that I'm lighter than at least a few of the SS members who have disclosed their body weight on this forum, whether in pictures or in text. Perhaps body weight has something to do with seat foam compression and perceived comfort.

In probably every photo of my GU that I've posted on this site, you'll notice an ATV seat pad secured to the top of the Enduro seat. The softer density foam in the pad adds a bit of additional comfort, and by extension, riding time. It was installed ~1 week after taking delivery of my new Ural.

Whatever is best for the individual rider is what's right for him.

*Also evident in every OEM seat on every motorcycle that I've owned. Thus my recurring investment in aftermarket seats that use layered orthopedic foam construction.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Yeah "plush" is relative - the Enduro is more on the firm side, I agree, but it works for me. I think the key aspects (which work for me) is it's flat, and wide.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Perhaps it's because I'm a cyclists too, or should I say was thanks to my knees, but I'm accustomed to and prefer a firm seat. Any hint of softness like many aftermarket seats or comfort foam and I'm miserable. I get hot, itchy, and can't sit still.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm

I took an extended ride after work, trying different positions. Still not a fan. When I'm seated to where my arms have a comfortable reach to the handlebar, my knees start aching. When I scoot back to relieve the knees, my back starts aching from leaning forward to reach the handlebar. I think I'll try laying pads, such as my AirHawk cushion, on top of the Enduro seat, to see if the additional height helps. I know that some of the discomfort is just my body adjusting to a new riding position, so I'll keep testing this thing out.
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Your inseam is a little longer than mine at 34, Chad, and that will count for something. The handlebars are the other significant fungible part of the equation here, if you have to reach too far to grab them from where your butt tends to be your enduro seating position might benefit from the OEM bars. I suspect mine would.

I definitely feel more connected to the tractor seat than to the enduro seat. The problem is that the tractor seat doesn’t feel to me remotely connected to the bike! From following you around the Pine Barrens, you definitely don’t seem to suffer from any deleterious riding performance on account of having a tractor seat, so we can chalk this one up to the subjective posterior of the beholder.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:54 pm

windmill wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 pm
Perhaps it's because I'm a cyclists too, or should I say was thanks to my knees, but I'm accustomed to and prefer a firm seat. Any hint of softness like many aftermarket seats or comfort foam and I'm miserable. I get hot, itchy, and can't sit still.
Same here. I’ve always preferred a firm saddle.

If Corbin or Sargent made a seat for the Ural I’d be all over it.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:58 pm

As for grab handles I’ve always preferred the solid steel ones that mount under the seat to the rubber tractor loops. I like to have a firm grip.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

Penrod

Post by Penrod » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm
I know that some of the discomfort is just my body adjusting to a new riding position, so I'll keep testing this thing out.
That's right: as you get older, adjusting to new positions is harder. :D
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 pm

your enduro seating position might benefit from the OEM bars.
It would be a quick and easy swap-out to test... if I hadn't wired the Renthal with internal grip heaters. Not a deal-breaker, just more difficult to undo to swap out handlebars.
The problem is that the tractor seat doesn’t feel to me remotely connected to the bike! From following you around the Pine Barrens, you definitely don’t seem to suffer from any deleterious riding performance on account of having a tractor seat, so we can chalk this one up to the subjective posterior of the beholder.
I have an advantage over your tractor saddle. I don't know if you remember, but I broke the saddle pivot riser during the JDH. But, magically and just in time, Van showed up with the seat I had previously cracked and had welded a reinforcing piece of metal across the riser, which makes the seat MUCH more rigid.
I've owned three Corbin seats and every one was a love-hate relationship. I love how they looked and how crazy-firm, bit comfortable they are, but every one of them caused me to slide forward, which applied constant pressure to my man-bits. I was routinely pushing myself rearward in the seats. It got old. On my Honda VFR, I, uh, "sprung" :lol: for a Russell Day-Long Saddle and it was (a lot of) money VERY well spent.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 pm

eastbloc wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:54 pm
Sargent's Custom Seat Services Division will perform foam alterations, etc. to the customer's specifications, using the OEM Ural seat pan.

Having owned 3 Corbin saddles, and liking all of them, I'd buy one for the Ural without hesitation if they were available.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:53 pm

eastbloc wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:54 pm
windmill wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 pm
Same here. I’ve always preferred a firm saddle.

That's why I like the deluxe tractor seat, it has very firm foam and springs, but is longer than the traditional tractor seat, and it's rounded off so moving around for brisk riding isn't an issue.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Is it compatible with the rear tractor seat, Barry?
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides: