Enduro seat experience.

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
eastbloc
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Enduro seat experience.

Post by eastbloc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 pm

I recently came to suspect my Gear-Up's tractor seat as responsible for aggravating a painful nerve impingement I suffer from intermittently. The Gear-Up had been down for a few months, and I drew a correlation between getting it back on the road and an increase in my physical torment. So I decided to change something up, with the seat being the most obvious and significant component in the equation.

I've always loved the looks of my tractor seat, and the ease of customization. I'm 6'3" and 210lbs, so I doubled up the rubber blocks and used some square 2" tubing to raise it a bit. But there's no denying the tractor seat's peculiarities. With two blocks, it's very stiff vertically, but the rubber is soft enough that you can feel the frame of the seat on your sit bones. Going over our plentiful New York City potholes, it feels like it's mounted onto a jackhammer.

Side to side though it's another story, and the tractor's rubber blocks turn it into Gumby when I steer hard left or right. I find it actually fighting me using body English to steer the bike -- when I try to push my weight to the right on right-handers, the seat goes left and counteracts the effort.

It's also nearly impossible to change positions sitting on the tractor seat. There's only one way your butt fits on it. You can scoot forward a little, or try to hang off the side, but neither give much variation or comfort.

Thanks to Daisy Cutter I was able to obtain an Enduro seat without having to endure the MSRP. I was so excited I put it on in the rain, and boy am I glad I did. It feels like a completely different bike, in a good way.

Most of my miles in the saddle over the years were on BMW GS bikes, which I usually had raised with Corbin saddles and stiffer springs. I like the visibility afforded by height, both to me and of me. I was worried the Enduro seat would be significantly lower than my raised tractor seat, but this is not so. The Enduro seat is 32" off the ground, versus 33" for the tractor seat:
old_seat.jpg
seat_new.jpg
It does not feel much lower at all than the tractor. It's reasonably stiff, but not as stiff up-and-down as the tractor, so it's much better on the bumps. Because it doesn't do the left-right wiggle, either, it actually makes the bike feel much more stable and easier to control in the turns. So the seat is actually a significant upgrade in how the bike handles. I'm not kidding about this, it has to be experienced to be believed. For years, I was convinced the handling differences between my 1WD and 2WD Urals were down to the higher sidecar, but the fact is both my Sportsman and my Gear-Up were the only Urals I have equipped with tractor seats, and at least _some_ of the difference comes down to that.

The ability to shift forward and back is fantastic. Between that and the reduction in the jackhammer-like quality of the tractor seat, and the improvement in handling, this is among the best -- if not the best -- of the mods I've made to my Gear-Up.

There are two downsides. One is the looks -- nothing says "living fossil" like the tractor seat -- but the functional benefits make that a minor consideration.

The other is more of a missed opportunity. Unlike the Ural bench seats of old, which used a sliding metal plate for retention in the back and just one nut to keep the front of the seat on, the Enduro (and presumably other modern Ural benches) uses two bolts in the back. These bolts slip through the fender in the same spot as the tractor pillion. This eliminates a bit of extra hardware needed for the bench, but requires two extra bolts to remove the seat, which is required for access to the removable plate underneath and the relays, battery, etc.

If I get bored, I might try to rig up a bracket to eliminate the need to remove the rear bolts to take the seat off. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy the vast improvement in comfort and handling! Thanks again to Daisy Cutter for sending over the seat, and to ReCycled for confirming that this is the seat to get. It makes me look forward to riding even more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

Lofty

Re: Enduro seat experience.

Post by Lofty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:05 am

eastbloc wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 pm
If I get bored, I might try to rig up a bracket to eliminate the need to remove the rear bolts to take the [Enduro] seat off.
Do post a picture or two, please, if or when you fabricate the bracket that you mention. The removal of the two under-fender bolts is awkward, and I'd be happy to consider any solutions that make the task easier.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:27 am

I read some reviews on the forum from folks that had the Enduro seat and didn't care for the foam density and the "thigh-cutting" of the front edges. After reading that, plus not caring for "The Look", I quickly dismissed the seat as unsuitable for me. Since you and I are very similar in build and since I'm interested in a seating option that will allow me to ride long distance to rallies without developing "babboon-azz", perhaps I'll have to re-evaluate the Enduro.

Also, since I got my 2001 Patrol, I got to experience how enjoyably simple the bench seat is to remove. It's a "one-nut" affair. :roll:
-
2019-01-06 07.22.40.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:42 am

Yeah, and with a one-nut seat and the late-model removable seat plate you would be able to get to the battery in two minutes flat.

It's going to be tricky, though. The Enduro seat pan is designed to lay flush supported against the length of the rear fender, so anything in between the pan and the fender is going to have to extend to provide the same support. The old style bench like on your Patrol has a pan extra wide in the middle to accommodate the brackets for the mount, which are on the outside of the fender.

It could be that I will just have to learn to live with a five-minute battery access procedure. One low-tech way I plan to improve it is by getting some wing bolts to replace the hex cap screws, as half of the PITA is getting a ratchet under the fender to get to them.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 am

bolt.PNG
These look like they might do the job nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9N2EK2/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

AndyH
Comrade
Comrade

Post by AndyH » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 pm

My 2015 came with the "Italian Bench" as standard - similar to the enduro but with a raised rear portion. Unfortunately for me (6'1" and about 210) the raised part was in the wrong spot and I couldn't move back enough without ending up halfway up the rise.
Bought a factory tractor seat with 2 blocks from a 2014 (used single and 2 to test ride) and went back to the Italian bench very quickly.
Recently a 2/3 solo seat became available and I haven't looked back. Have done 6,000 kilometers since fitment.
I would like to ry the enduro, but I think the new 2/3 solo has a bit of life left in it yet.
2015 Ural EU Tourist -

Navy TM
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Navy TM » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:50 pm

I also had the "Italian style bench seat" on my 2011 Tourist, I was very uncomfortable after a half hour of riding. The placement of the ridge locks one in a too far forward position, I also need a back support which is supplied by a Bikers Choice 11" round Duffel. I was able to adjust the back support farther back on the seat to allow a more comfortable riding position. I also have studs installed into the threaded holes in seat base, makes it much easier to install. I use SS lock nuts and SS washers to hold seat to fender. I've done several long trips with the Enduro seat in place and am very pleased with its performance. I also have a beaded cover and a sheepskin on the seat which has eliminated the sharp edge of seat for me, I'm 5'7'' with a 29" inseam.
Last edited by Navy TM on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike :old:
2011 Ural Patrol (Orange/Silver) (Veronika)
2011 Ural Tourist Red (Valya)
2004 Custom w/S&S 93CI Shovelhead Motor ( I built this one) Given to a friend
1974 Harley FXE Given to Daughter
1991 ATK 406 Donated to New England Motorcycle Museum
1989 Atk 406 Donated to New England Motorcycle Museum

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:52 pm

I did an interesting & comfortable tractor upgrade with a LYCETTE type Britsh spring saddle in drivers location, which looks - & feels very great.
EXCEPT: My right knee (damaged years ago) has a hard time bending enough to ride for long.
I'm wondering if an ENDURO or 2/3 flat Bench seat would allow me to scoot back enough - to ease my uncomfortable knee bend ?
IF SO.......
I think I Would trade both My excellent Front & Rear TRACTOR SEATS + mounts + covers - for ONE NICE ENDURO/ 2/3 SEAT with mounts. Mine are very pretty - With no issues. But my darn old KNEE probably won't get any better.

please contact me if interested....
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 pm

The Enduro is up there as one of the best motorcycle seats I've ever sat on. Close runners were the Moto Guzzi Spada bench seat, and a king-&-queen-ish style aftermarket touring seat I had on my BMW R80. The Enduro I can and have sat on for hours and hours with minimal bum-ache, which is a unique experience for me.

It the Daddy. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:08 pm

PS: yes and you have ample fore-aft "adjustment margin".
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

AndyH
Comrade
Comrade

Post by AndyH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:52 pm
I think I Would trade both My excellent Front & Rear TRACTOR SEATS + mounts + covers - for ONE NICE ENDURO/ 2/3 SEAT with mounts.
The 2/3 solo isn't sprung so you are going to lose the seats ability to soak up a lot of frame shock and vibration.
You might have a better knee at the cost of a worse back?
2015 Ural EU Tourist -

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:09 am

AndyH wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 pm
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:52 pm
I think I Would trade both My excellent Front & Rear TRACTOR SEATS + mounts + covers - for ONE NICE ENDURO/ 2/3 SEAT with mounts.
The 2/3 solo isn't sprung so you are going to lose the seats ability to soak up a lot of frame shock and vibration.
You might have a better knee at the cost of a worse back?
The "luxury swing seat" is the 2/3 bench on springs which would give one the best of both worlds if it's the correct seat for them.
IMG_2915.JPG

Some folks don't like the 2/3 seat, I hate the enduro and stepped seat, I'd rather have the old tractor seat than any version of a bench seat. It's virtually impossible to recommend what will be best for another person, we're all built different.

I have knee issues too, the right seat is a nice thing, but don't find any seat will solve my issue with them. The only thing that helps me is taking breaks where I can stretch and walk some. I even tried highway pegs where I could stretch my legs out, but no dice on that helping.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:31 pm

eastbloc wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 am
bolt.PNG

These look like they might do the job nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9N2EK2/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
I can confirm that the above are perfect replacements for the rear seat bolts on the Enduro and possibly other seats, and make it easier to remove the seat.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Sorry, no idea what's going on with the photo attachments. This functionality has been really wonky lately.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Do you know how close the tire-to-knurl-knob distance is under full shock compression? Any danger of contact?
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers