2 in 1 Exhaust Attempt #1

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
slovenian6474
Comrade
Comrade

2 in 1 Exhaust Attempt #1

Post by slovenian6474 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Hey guys.
After knocking off my pontoons, I decided to give this whole 2in1 exhaust trick a whirl. It's still a work in progress but figured I'd share.

First design. I wanted to keep everything out of the way rocks. The two paths are less than 1mm difference from each other. The idea is to travel to the back next to the car rather than under the bike. There's some inspiration from Mr. Cob's Predator in that area.
I used 3D printing and some wire to make up the design. This helped with test fitting and visualizing clearances.

Pipes came in and started cutting! I'm reusing the stock head flanges.

Also used some 3D printed clamps to double check lengths and angles would actually fit well on the bike. This saved a bit of grinding and retacking.

Tacked up header! This is my first ever welding project so I'm learning as I go. There's a pile of practice pieces around the garage.

And as of yesterday, the pipe headed back. Note: That's a Kalaber tow/winch bar that it's going to mount on top of.

Welp! That's caught up to the work done on 1/23. I've love to hear thoughts/questions/criticisms.
Last edited by slovenian6474 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--2006 Ural Raven--

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: 2 in 1 Exhaust Attempt #1

Post by gobium » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Very nice mark up and welding but high pipe might interfering with my right foot resting position possible vavle cover removable .

slovenian6474
Comrade
Comrade

Post by slovenian6474 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Oh it will add more steps to valve cover removal. The Kalaber tow bar already blocks the valve cover so it's already going to be a bit more involved to adjust valves. Currently you have to remove 8 bolts to take the bar off.

With this high mount, I went with a double slip collector as a disconnect point along with the clamped-on muffler. It should be able to removed with only a bolt or two in addition to the 8 bolts for the Kalaber bar.

Not for everyone but I'm fine with removing a few more things when doing valves.

Right foot has plenty of room still. The pipe is just above the car frame. I am getting some heat shields so when hard leaning to the right, I don't burn my leg, but it is well out of the way
--2006 Ural Raven--

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Mothra35 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Very cool indeed,,,why not the other side of the Sidecar thou? Blocked Air flow? And heated Pipe right next to a already hot Vavle/cylinder
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"

My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

slovenian6474
Comrade
Comrade

Post by slovenian6474 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Mothra35 wrote:Very cool indeed,,,why not the other side of the Sidecar thou? Blocked Air flow? And heated Pipe right next to a already hot Vavle/cylinder
No reason other than I still want a fully functioning sidecar. I'd be curious of ways to route it and mount muffler on the other side of the car. This is my first ever experience making an exhaust and welding so I am testing ideas and methods. It is going a lot better than I even expected so if I do an attempt 2, I might look at other locations.
--2006 Ural Raven--

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Will you still be able to move your winch from front to back? How about your monkeys hands getting burned
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

slovenian6474
Comrade
Comrade

Post by slovenian6474 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:11 pm

Daisy Cutter wrote:Will you still be able to move your winch from front to back? How about your monkeys hands getting burned
Good questions. The winch should still be able to be moved but will probably need a bit more thought in running the wires than a normal install. There is still room to remove the front bolt and physically move it. I haven't exactly BOUGHT the winch yet, so there may be interference between the exhaust and winch. I'm mostly gone off pictures from Kalaber and it SHOULD be ok.

For the monkey's hand leaning out, I'm putting heat shields over the exhaust in that area. So they might feel some warmth but not instant burn. I can always add better protection in that area if needed.
--2006 Ural Raven--

IndyChizzle
Party Member
Party Member

Post by IndyChizzle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm only able to see the first image (cad rendering). The other images just show a "-" in the space where the image should be.
Sidecar newby trying to get started...

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 pm

IndyChizzle wrote:I'm only able to see the first image (cad rendering). The other images just show a "-" in the space where the image should be.
Me too using either IE or Chrome.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 pm

I’ve been thinking about getting a Kalaber winch mount, I’d be interested in your opinion of it once you get it set up.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

slovenian6474
Comrade
Comrade

Post by slovenian6474 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
IndyChizzle wrote:I'm only able to see the first image (cad rendering). The other images just show a "-" in the space where the image should be.
Fixing...
--2006 Ural Raven--

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lmo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Models are great, are you cutting your tube with CNC?
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

slovenian6474
Comrade
Comrade

Post by slovenian6474 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 pm

slovenian6474 wrote:
Snakeoil wrote:
Fixing...
Ok pics should be fixed.

I'm cutting the tubes with a chop saw. Although I did print some jigs to get angles cut better.

Daisy Cutter wrote:I’ve been thinking about getting a Kalaber winch mount, I’d be interested in your opinion of it once you get it set up.
I've just mounted it. Initial reaction is it's pretty nice. There's some thought put into things on it that I probably wouldn't have thought of. I'm going to get the winch and also mountain bike rack for the back.
--2006 Ural Raven--

jwsparkes
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jwsparkes » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm

That's really impressive! Well done.

You've made the jigs and have designed the profile for the bends. I'm assuming you had a company bend the tube to your specs? Excellent stuff.

I can see a market for this? Perhaps you could sell the bent up components in kit form (for ease of postage) for those of us that like to build stuff? I'd like to finish welding up an exhaust set up like that.

slovenian6474
Comrade
Comrade

Post by slovenian6474 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 pm

jwsparkes wrote:That's really impressive! Well done.

You've made the jigs and have designed the profile for the bends. I'm assuming you had a company bend the tube to your specs? Excellent stuff.

I can see a market for this? Perhaps you could sell the bent up components in kit form (for ease of postage) for those of us that like to build stuff? I'd like to finish welding up an exhaust set up like that.
All the bends including the collector I got from http://www.mandrelbends.com/ Pretty good company from my experience with them.
I designed the whole thing around bends they had available off the shelf with the exception of the one 35deg cut you see above. That is cut from an off the shelf 90 degree bend though. So almost all the welding is straight butted welds and no custom ordered bends. Then you can also final fit the tubes by simply shortening a straight section.
--2006 Ural Raven--