Thoughts of replacing my cT tank with a BMW type Toaster Tank

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Thoughts of replacing my cT tank with a BMW type Toaster Tank

Post by Dr Z » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Rob. U nailed it and got way north of my pay grade. Lol. I had a DR650. Looked into bigger tank. They actually make one about 6 or 8 gals I think. As soon as u mentioned elect fuel pump and gas I did shudder briefly. If a guy needs to ride 250 to 300 mi nonstop they need bigger tank or automatic transfer capability For those of us traveling off grid. A can of gas and funnel will work for me
Dr Z
Former owner of LARA a 2010 Black Patrol
Designer of the soon to be world famous Ural Triple Shifter

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:19 pm

The BMW tanks are to valuable to modify to fit a Ural, I would probably just buy another Ural tank to cut apart and expand.
I don't mind stoping to add fuel from a can, so I carry a gerry can on my gear up. On long road trips I can only ride about an hour before I need to stretch my legs anyway.
My Retro on the other hand, I'm gassing up every day or every other day, and I often push the limits of my tank when trying to make meetings and going about business. I didn't want a gerry can on my retro so at the suggestion of BinDerSmokeDat I bought some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351929646835?_t ... K%3AMEBIDX%
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232233079911?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
They come in different capacities and dimensions, small enough to store in the trunk, and maybe just enough fuel to get you to a gas station, in New Jersey anyway.
Thought that might be helpful to someone following this thread.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Should work. Dealers choice. I guess
Dr Z
Former owner of LARA a 2010 Black Patrol
Designer of the soon to be world famous Ural Triple Shifter

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Tomcatfixer aka "Packmule"
Just 'accidentally' stumbled upon this thread and discovered that I earned a previously unknown nickname!
my Forrest Gump trip - coast to coast on Hwy 50. Start in St. Louis, go one direction until I hit an ocean, turn around, go until I hit another ocean
If you do this, Matt'choo, let me know; I'll at least ride the Ocean City Maryland to St. Louis portion wit'choo!
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by GregAus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Lmo wrote:That scooter has been around for a while, its name is "Quartermaster" and it was built by (or built for) Icon 1000 as a promo. With the flush filler cap, the tank above looks like a modified BMW R80/R100 tank.

The Icon tank is from a Suzuki, maybe the GS650G
1981_GS650G_450.jpg
Lee Pape wrote:In the 17 years I have been around Urals no one has done it. I don't know have a BMW toaster tanks mounts. I do know that sometime before 2000 Ural did change the way their tanks mount on the bikes. At one time Rich Maund modified a Dneper tank by cutting it apart and welding a spacer in teh middle. I do not remember if he mounted that tank on a Ural or if he had a Dneper at the time. I am not saying that it can't be done just that nobody that I know of has ever done it before.
Richard Maud modified a Chang Jiang M5 tank, they mount the same as a BMW airhead. He basically had to rebuild the front and underside of the tank to make it fit. I thought it looked really good and thought about copying it until I saw how much work was involved. /2 tanks (and Hoske and Heinrich) bolt straight onto pre 99 Urals and all Dneprs. You just need to make a simple bracket to fit them to post 99 Urals. You also need to take out a mortgage to buy one.

There was a seller in the Ukraine who was selling 40 l Dnepr tanks. I bought one several years ago, A$250 including postage. I've seen the /6 and /7 tanks mounted. What they did was graft the underside of a Dnepr tank to the airhead. Looked really good, but a lot of work and money if you don't have the welding skills.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lmo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:36 pm

The Icon tank is from a Suzuki, maybe the GS650G
I stand corrected (again)... couldn't see the break lines in side from my screen at work... yeah that's it, I couldn't see the break lines!

Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Tomcatfixer aka "Packmule"
Just 'accidentally' stumbled upon this thread and discovered that I earned a previously unknown nickname!
my Forrest Gump trip - coast to coast on Hwy 50. Start in St. Louis, go one direction until I hit an ocean, turn around, go until I hit another ocean
If you do this, Matt'choo, let me know; I'll at least ride the Ocean City Maryland to St. Louis portion wit'choo!
If you guys are riding on Rt50 you had better let me know, I'll ride with you for a bit. I live about a mile off of Rt50.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 pm

If you guys are riding on Rt50 you had better let me know, I'll ride with you for a bit. I live about a mile off of Rt50.
Uh oh! Looks like this might become a 'thing'! Matt, hope you get your gas situation resolved, but if we're riding together, just know that I'll need more frequent fuel stops with my tiny OEM tank. :)
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:51 pm

So Greg, in your experience... do you think a Dnepr tank would drop onto a Ural frame and vice-versa? Probably subtle differences, but up to a certain year??

ImageImage

Why? I've been kicking around the idea of fabricating a flat-sided tank, something along the lines below. It would be nice if someone else could use one.
Tank sketch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:25 pm

You could always use the low fuel indicator sensor to trigger an automatic fuel transfer pump. :lol: :sarcasm: :lol:
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:30 am

ALCON - I am really liking the way this has morphed - Lew, I would be very interested in listening to your thoughts - what capacity tank are you thinking?

Chad/Burt, this Hwy 50/Lincoln Hwy thing won't be a reality for me this year, but I am planting the seed for next year......and the year after, etc. I have a yearning to go see the land of the Albino Squirrel (Olney, IL)....Chad - no need to worry about stops - I have the dream of a 3 hour tank with a 30 minute bladder.....

EDIT Jaybird - that is a great idea - that would work well in STL also - there are some mild dirt roads in Stat Parks near here that are a ways from gas stations.....
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:49 am

As we say in the UK, "it all sounds like too much of a faff" ... :D

mattzahr wrote: - this is my Walter Mitty week - my wife just informed me that she wants me to keep working another 2+ years to keep me busy,
WTF! .. :o

Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:14 am

My sentiments exactly....as I said in a previous post - I WANT TO GO OUT AND PLAY!!!!

I trust all is well in the UK today?
Last edited by mattzahr on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:20 am

Er, as far as I know yes thanks! :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 am

Hubert Kriegel on Thetimelessride ( Round The World) had a Ural tank cut apart and then welded in new sections to make it wider and taller. I do not remember the final capacity , but it was gigantic by Ural standards. I think it was around 43 liters or just over 11 gallons. Hubert's Ural is carbureted. If you go to Hubert's site, there is a whole section (I don't know offhand) where, just search around, about the tank modifications and nearly everything else on the bike.

http://www.thetimelessride.com/US/Eurasia/Siberia.html

Having ridden across Siberia, I wish I had more fuel more times than I can remember! If nothing else, looking at what Hubert has done is very interesting.

Another friend (Rollin) has ridden IRON BUTTS and other things on a Victory. He put a roundish-beer-keg looking (read strong) tank an the back of his bike behind driver. He uses a simple hand bulb pump to fill the main tank as needed. It is simple, no electrics, safe, and works. His photos attached.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments