40mm Ammo box storage

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

40mm Ammo box storage

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Someone posted a while back showing a storage box they had made to go under their sidecar. I loved the idea. To work, it had to be strong and fulfill the dimensions and requirements of being able to hold the Ural tool roll, approx 17”, with a depth of no more than 12” and a height not greater than 6” (didn’t want it to go below the sidecar's support frame) - and it had to open along the ends. My dilemma, however, was that I can’t make a box and having one made was cost prohibitive. So, what would be a good alternative? Being cheap, I found that a 40mm ammo box fulfilled all my requirements. For $35, (ammo box, shipping, nuts and bolts to mount) it’s a bargain. I can now fit my tool roll, chocks, jack, spare tube, and other spares out from the trunk - with the big plus of being to now fit two full face helmets in the trunk.

If you decide to go this route, bear in mind that the lid has a significant overhang on the side of the box. After drilling my first two holes, I had to shift them both back about ¼ inch – do’oh! Also, the ammo box has a strengthening rib on both sides ¼ inch high, so I had to add nylon washers as spacers. Lastly, the slots on the latch make it possible to weld a U piece on box that would fit thorough the slot for a lock if desired. I added wing nuts just to make sure the latch wouldn't open and spill everything out.

I love the way it looks. It fills out the rear area and the sidecar no longer looks like it’s perched above the axle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lokiboy on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

bearhorse
Party Member
Party Member

Re: 40mm Ammo box storage

Post by bearhorse » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Pretty slick, there Lokiboy! The paint's not the greatest for longevity against road hazards, but it's easy enough to buzz-bomb it and replacements aren't that hard to find. :thumbsup:
Ural: the most smiles-per-gallon of any bike I've owned (your "smile"-age may vary :D)

Thanks For Your Time!
bearhorse

"Remember girls, if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..." -Wise Man, General & Bus Driver

2010 Ural Gear Up ("Zhelaznye Medved")
2000 Victory 92SC
2000 Moto Guzzi Bassa (2-wheeled Ferrari)
1999 VW New Beetle TDI (54mpg! Who needs a hybrid?)
1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 "Eugene" (da Jeep!)

tattoo
Comrade
Comrade

Post by tattoo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 pm

cool idea, thanks for sharing this
1996 Ural 650

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Liked the idea when it was first posted. Like it better now! The ability to get the jack and tool roll in the box is great! The added plus is that it keeps the weight low and in the best location you could want. :thumbsup: .
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:36 pm

Cool idea. I've got a couple HT narrow alum panniers from my KLR and may just see if I can stuff one in the same location. Thanks.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:13 pm

I have a couple of those empty 40MM ammo cans in the garage...I think the ammo was used in the Osama bin Ladin hit :wink: , but I'm not supposed to say anything...

It looks great, don't get me wrong; but I want to explore some critical thoughts:

1. If you offroad with all that stuff, what will the weight inside the can do?
2. What if it drags across a root? Will/can the 'top' open? I think I could rip it off with anything less than that metal strap you mentioned; all bolted up.
3. What about a backing plate inside the trunk and under the trunk? Something real big and beefy so that weight doesn't rip the floor out of the trunk...or even just 'bubble' it downward.
4. Lokiboy, do you weld? I wonder if that lid could be hinged so that it flapped down to open?
5. Did you consider beating the strengthening ribs flat on the one side of it so it would bolt up tighter to the bottom of the trunk?

Thanks!
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:13 pm

:thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:29 am

niteblues59 wrote:I have a couple of those empty 40MM ammo cans in the garage...I think the ammo was used in the Osama bin Ladin hit :wink: , but I'm not supposed to say anything...

It looks great, don't get me wrong; but I want to explore some critical thoughts:

1. If you offroad with all that stuff, what will the weight inside the can do?
2. What if it drags across a root? Will/can the 'top' open? I think I could rip it off with anything less than that metal strap you mentioned; all bolted up.
3. What about a backing plate inside the trunk and under the trunk? Something real big and beefy so that weight doesn't rip the floor out of the trunk...or even just 'bubble' it downward.
4. Lokiboy, do you weld? I wonder if that lid could be hinged so that it flapped down to open?
5. Did you consider beating the strengthening ribs flat on the one side of it so it would bolt up tighter to the bottom of the trunk?

Thanks!

Humm, I didn't put that much thought in the project. I knew this might not be ideal for real off road travel, but for me it works. The hack is very durable and I'm positive I haven't overloaded it.

Question #1. I’m not an off roader, I stay mainly on paved roads and if I do go off it’s on dirt trails through the woods. If the axle can clear it, then the box can too (also, it's nearly aligned with the rear wheel). The box is made of pretty durable metal (loaded with 40mm rounds they're very heavy and they are not handled with kit gloves) and the hack is also made of sturdy metal, so I’m not going to worry about it.

Question #2. There is no way a root, or something similar, is going to open the lid. If it were strong enough to do so it would have stopped the hack when it hit the axle - the box does not hang below the axle. As long as the latches stay closed that lid will never come off. Also, both latches need to be open for the lid to be removed.

Question #3. I guess you could reinforce, but I don’t think it’s necessary. The Russians build a really hefty sidecar – I have faith that I haven’t overloaded it. Only time will tell, however. And, if I were to see any signs of metal stress then I'd indeed reinforce.

Question #4. Can’t see a benefit or reason to do it. It would be a major undertaking. Also, the lid, as is, is water tight and I wouldn’t want to do something that would not make it so.

Question #5. I didn’t think there was a way to remove the strip. Beating it is not an option, and you’d have to be pretty good with a metal cutter to remove it. It is tight against the trunk as is. The rib rests on the trunk and the washers/bolts are at four other locations for balance. It’s not going anywhere, nor bounce in any fashion.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:40 am

niteblues59 wrote:I have a couple of those empty 40MM ammo cans in the garage...I think the ammo was used in the Osama bin Ladin hit :wink: , but I'm not supposed to say anything...

Ifn you're worried about the lid popping open it is very easy to mount the staple side of a hasp to the can so when you shut the lid the u-bolt sticks through the lid handle. You can then either lock it put a bolt through it, or just a closed hook.

I lock all my ammo cans this way.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Just to clarify & my error, I reference the sidecar's axle in my posts, but it's the sidecar frame that is lower.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Ivan Rider
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ivan Rider » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:17 pm

I've been running one of those 40 mm ammo boxes under my Arctic GearUp Pickup for 3 yrs. now. I did it a little different and mounted it right into the sidecar tub to form a Rumbleseat for an additional passenger when needed. The bottom of the Can is flush with the bottom of the Tub so nothing is hanging down. I did put a U bolt in the latches so they can be padlocked shut to keep my tools and Jack safe.

Yes I sold the Arctic GearUp but kept the Pickup tub which I just painted to mount on a BC for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivan Rider AKA: Dennis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanrider/
5 Urals - White 2010 SoloT, White '08 Retro, Blue '05 Troyka & OD '99 Patrol
3 BMWs 2 with Sidecars & 1 Solo
2 Honda Big Ruckus's -1 Solo & 1 w/ Sidecar

Hogmaine
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Hogmaine » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 am

Totally awesome :cheers:
I have several size ammo cans, being used for their intended purpose. I have two or three of these.
I am now going to empty one out and do this project for sure.

Thanks for the tip
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Leonardo da Vinci
2008 Patrol
2016 Versys 650 LT
2011 Gear Up

firebrick
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by firebrick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 am

Where do you guys pick up these ammoe cans?
2009 buddy scooter

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:33 am

Surplus stores, Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, Gun Stores, Sporting Goods Stores, etc. Just about anywhere that sell surplus and many farm co-ops.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:37 am

May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo