Adventure Package - Southern Edition

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Adventure Package - Southern Edition

Post by digitalebola » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Well... today was the day to put on the Adventure Package. I must say that the exhaust was not a bad as I thought to get on. Took a few wacks of the mallet but it went in pretty easy. The engine guard was just as easy.

I am stuck on the #$!* engine brush/rock shield. It was definatly not meant for the deep sump pan. I thought I would be slick and make a couple of extended brackets out of some steel laying around. No dice. I think I am going to fab one on my own. Time to break out the welder.

Have not got the skid guards mounted to the hack yet. Had to stop and eat breakfast.

I'll take pics later on.

seth
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by seth » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:24 pm

those sidecar bumpers are tough to get on by yourself. Find an extra set of hands and it'll be easier than the exhaust.
lets see some pics
seth

digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by digitalebola » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:04 pm

I broke down and pulled out the welder to put extensions on the guard. Wouldn't ya know it - two tacks in and I ran out of wire. Made a quick trip to Harbor Freight and when I got back the mailman had delivered the brackets for the seat.

Crappy welding

In place

Almost done.

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:10 pm

It would be interesting to have a report on the seat, as opposed to both the tractor seats, and the bench seat. It doesn't look very thick - and on my rig, even the thick seat leaves a LOT to be desired.

The Exhaust looks good, great pics and blow by blow article, Thanks.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by digitalebola » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:36 pm

I am curious about the seat as well. I will give a report on it. I loved the tractor seat - found them very comfy.

Did I mention the exhaust sound! WOW! Very throaty sounding.

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Looking good man... :thumbsup:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by digitalebola » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:34 am

I could not sleep so I went down to see about the bumpers. The rear mounts above the rubber mount and the last bolts of the trunk hinge. I am doing this my self so I used a bottle jack to raise the hack off the mount. I slid the bumper in place and then used the jack to hold the rear of the bumper so I could run the bolts in.

On the front the bumper mounts at the forward frame bolts and then uses the holes in the bow of the hack. There is an issue here because the machine gun mount I installed covers one of the holes. I took off the bottom plate of the gun mount and luckily there was a stain marking the hole and it happened to be midway inline with the bottom bolt holes of the mount. I drilled this out and re-installed.

Using the bottle jack again I held the bumper up and used ducktape to keep the frame bolts in place so I could get the nuts on. In jacked the bumper up and drilled through the rest of the gun mount using the bolt hole in the bumper and the previously drilled hole as a guide. I need to visit the hardware store in a couple of hours to get a couple of bolts to finish things off. I thought I had everything in existing inventory but I ended up using what I had for the seat/exhaust/passenger handle/fender.

Pics to follow after a while.

NOW I have a question for you knowledgeable peoples. The directions that came with the kit said that in order to cure the finish on the exhaust one needs to idle the bike for 20 min, let sit and then idle for 30 min or some thing to that effect.

I know that people get nervous letting oil/air cooled bike sitting still for long periods. What do you think? Granted it is 20F outside, but still.

Cheers

John

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:50 am

digitalebola wrote:I am curious about the seat as well. I will give a report on it. I loved the tractor seat - found them very comfy.

Did I mention the exhaust sound! WOW! Very throaty sounding.
I haven't been able to sit on one of these rigs yet :( Would you mind posting your physical dimensions? For example, I'm about 5'11" 195lbs. with a 33" inseam... I'm just wondering how I'm gonna fit on my new bike and what choice I should make with the seat. I like the look of the tractor seats but am wondering if'n there's enough leg room for long-haul days. I fit just dandy on my /5 (similar dimensions to a Ural?), but then it has a "bench" seat.
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by digitalebola » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 am

S 854 wrote:I haven't been able to sit on one of these rigs yet :( Would you mind posting your physical dimensions? For example, I'm about 5'11" 195lbs. with a 33" inseam... I'm just wondering how I'm gonna fit on my new bike and what choice I should make with the seat. I like the look of the tractor seats but am wondering if'n there's enough leg room for long-haul days. I fit just dandy on my /5 (similar dimensions to a Ural?), but then it has a "bench" seat.
I am 5'11" 180lbs ( well 190 after Thanksgiving and Christmas) 30inch inseam. I liked the tractor seat and did not feel "cramped". I have seen posts from folks with the bench seats that said they like to slide backwards to stretch out a tad. It will be another week or so before I can do any real riding on it.

Cheers

J

digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by digitalebola » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 am

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:04 pm

That looks really nice :) :)
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
Gone Now:
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

Big Yellow
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Big Yellow » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Digitalebola,
I like the color of your rig. I think the black/grean combo looks better then the camo. Did you paint over the Gear Up camo? Or did it come that way?

Thanks,
Bill

digitalebola
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by digitalebola » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Bill,

It is an '05 Patrol, First thing I did when I got it was pull off all the tins and pipes ad paint them. It is the Krylon® Camouflage paint from a rattle can - I just used the Olive Drab Green. I scuffed the paint, primed (used self etching primer on the chrome) and pained in my garage. I welded up the Jerry can holders and fabbed the mounts for the pioneering tools. Had to get the gun mount from Poland.

I thought about painting the frame but that was a bunch more work than I wanted to put in. It is great cause I carry a can around with me. It is easy to retouch.

John

jerbunch
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jerbunch » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:20 pm

great looking bike. I like the flat green color
Jerbunch

2011 Patrol, White "Stoli"
05 Patrol (gone, but not forgotten)
05 Stella
2011 Super Low HD
2009 Burgman 650
2007 BMW R1200RT
2007 BMW F800ST

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:50 pm

That is a really good color - Thank goodness for Rattle Cans.... :lol:
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
Gone Now: