Sportster Mufflers

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
xpatriot
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Sportster Mufflers

Post by xpatriot » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Looking for a detailed rundown of which Sportster mufflers (year?) to purchase and adapters that work between headers and mufflers.

I see some threads with out of date pictures, couple of pictures, but hoping someone can do a complete rundown. TYIA.
2001 Patrol with ‘03 Wolf motor “The Beast of the East”

rivers

Re: Sportster Mufflers

Post by rivers » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Keys to remember: Ural exh pipe OD=1.5", XL pipe OD and XL muffler inlet ID=1.75". Any machine shop can easily turn out some reducers. I think the XL cans I've dealt with were all from the 90's to early 2000's era.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:11 pm

They're pretty much everywhere; two sets popped up my Facebook feed last week. Both sets were listed below $50.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

xpatriot

Post by xpatriot » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:38 pm

*sigh*

Details please....year for mufflers, part number, etc. Thanks.
2001 Patrol with ‘03 Wolf motor “The Beast of the East”

rivers

Post by rivers » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Don't over think it. "OEM" shorty Sportster cans didn't change much over the years. Pretty sure even the later ones are still 1.75" ID. Earlier Ironhead cans should even work.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

ReCycled
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by ReCycled » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:52 pm

I'm not at home and don't have the numbers handy but I like the '03 and earlier.

Early 90's to '03 had a welded on tab that is easily adapted to hang from the passenger pegs.

In '04 when they started rubber mounting the engines, they went to a slot arrangement. Still doable but it means an extra nut and bolt and supplying your own tab. Plus that means one more point that can become loose.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:44 am

xpatriot wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm
Looking for a detailed rundown of which Sportster mufflers (year?) to purchase and adapters that work between headers and mufflers.

I see some threads with out of date pictures, couple of pictures, but hoping someone can do a complete rundown. TYIA.
Where are you? In my area, HD stores take off brand-new muffler sets, COMPLETE with brackets, heat shields, clamps, everything and throw (place?) them in a pile. The pile goes to the scrap metal place. HD folks then put on something loud. I asked for some and went home with 4 different shape sets, some black, some chrome. HD stuff is really high quality, and finsih is top grade. The only catch is all the parts are still bolted together, you have to take Everything, not a big deal. I have used the expensive HD black clamps to fasten a rope-carry pipe to Ural, and heat shields on various projects.

I even got 2 sets for a fellow Ural guy from Denmark. He put 2 sets (mufflers only) in luggage to return to Denmark.

IMO, nearly any HD mufffler could be made to work on Ural. After all, it is only a different way to mount something threaded bolts or tabs or whatever you want to make that fits. Screw the part numbers, just get some that you like and go for it.

Go here to see what I did towards bottom of page: "Mounting Sportster Mufflers
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51787&p=694448&hil ... st#p694448

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Dr.Tramp
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Dr.Tramp » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm

Hard to give you exact part numbers unless you know what kind of mounting tab you want to use. In the late 70s HD started changing from a flat tab with a hole to a slotted tab that held a threaded insert on their mufflers. Plus some models used a front muffler with one tab while the rear had two tabs though some models used two tabs on both mufflers.
Finding a set of HD mufflers that will just bolt in place without some modification will be almost impossible. Like I used to tell my students at MMI; the word "custom" came from "I cussed 'em and I cussed 'em, and the damn thing finally fit."
Also, I don't remember exactly when but around 2001 HD started putting catalytic converters in their mufflers. Other than that and the changes to the mounting tab style and location the actual muffler construction hasn't changed much since the early 70s.
Harley has been using 1.75 inch diameter headers on the Sportster and Big Twins from day one, Even the flathead K models ran 1.75 inch headers.
There are several sets of Sportster mufflers on Ebay and if the mounting tab location on the muffler isn't a consideration Dyna and Softail mufflers are the same as Sportsters. Pretty much comes down to what length and style muffler you want; slash cut, straight cut, or tapered end.
Any muffler shop can easily make you an adapter from a piece of exhaust tubing. You might have to find the right size tubing though as most auto exhaust pipe is 2" or larger but they may have some smaller tubing on hand. They could also fabricate and weld mounting tabs on the mufflers for you. Then just paint the mufflers or have them re-chromed. High heat flat black always works for me.
If there is a HD dealer or after market Harley shop nearby give them a call and see if they have a set of take offs they'd be willing to sell cheap. They usually have several sets laying around gathering dust so sometimes they just give them away to get rid of them.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

737AV8OR
Party Member
Party Member

Post by 737AV8OR » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:39 pm

I believe the actual Harley part numbers for mufflers with the proper tab for easy mounting using Ural hardware are 65613-97 & 65605-97. You can use these Emgo adapters with a bit of muffler tape to step the size down to fit the Ural pipes. I hope this is the info you are looking for!

https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/muffler ... gLj1PD_BwE

muffler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

4REICH
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by 4REICH » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 pm

It just occurred to me that your user name probably suggests you may be an ex pat. I'd search Craigslist, it's everywhere. When I picked up a used set of Harley Davidson exhaust the old fella offered me some bailing wire, old vinyl country records and a 1960s jaguar missing a drive train and interior, cool beans. If you are in the US I'll give you a somewhat loud set of screaming eagle mufflers just pay shipping from Nevada
The only thing to the right of me is the wall
13 ST solo
94 solo
74 M66
MT16

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Dr.Tramp wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm
....snip... They could also fabricate and weld mounting tabs on the mufflers for you. ....
If there is a HD dealer or after market Harley shop nearby give them a call and see if they have a set of take offs they'd be willing to sell cheap. They usually have several sets laying around gathering dust so sometimes they just give them away to get rid of them.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............
Exactly what I have been saying. Either you or "they" could weld tabs on some HD mufflers. It is not rocket science. FWIW I think you are overthinking the project. A Ural is NOT a Mona Lisa. Just get something you like and Make it fit.

I had HD excellent chrome and satin black mufflers of various shapes, lengths, slashcut, straight cut. taperered end, and so on. Just choose something from what is available and do it. Don't bother with rattle can paint or whatever, the HD finish far surpasses (chrome or black) anything you could paint on a muffler.

I think "Free" is a little better than "willing to sell cheap", but both are out there in some places. As I said, many places just have piles of this new take-off-throw-away stuff.
4REICH wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 pm
...snip... If you are in the US I'll give you a somewhat loud set of screaming eagle mufflers just pay shipping from Nevada
I offered the same free muflers, any style for Buyer Pays Shipping. That is not a particularly good deal for the Buyer as shipping is going to cost around $35-$50 or more. Those things are heavy. It is worthwhile to advertise/ask for a set of mufflers to be brought to some event by the owner or close to some event. Then buy-deal whatever to get them. I am in SE Idaho near Yellowstone for reference to some kind of deal similar to 4REICH.

True, the newer HD mufflers have a catalytic deal in them. I do not find any diffference in performance, noise, irritation to leave it that way. If you re-make your own exhaust system, maybe you remove the Ural CATs and replace with HD Cats? No big deal. A Ural is only firing 1 cylinder at a time, so any HD muffler can easily handle the out put. Most HD mufflers are connected to only 1 cylinder which is usually as large or larger than the entire Ural engine. So no worries there.

Mr. Cob commented on my finished set-up as being fine for Moab, but could have been a little better if avoiding 90* angles, less for smoother flow. Still, it isn't much of a difference and I just live with it. The exhaust project was finished, so on to other stuff.

Say, when was the last time you saw a HD Pro-Stock woodsplitter? :)

Just my thoughts.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments