Watch that does common core math!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Watch that does common core math!

Post by Rich Maund » Sun May 09, 2021 9:23 am

I've always wondered what those crazy looking watches were for with all the dials and doodads on them. They make slide rules seem simple by comparison. I figured it out! Kids need them to do common core math!
You mark my words! Next the government will be saying every kid HAS TO HAVE a Rolex to do common core math in school. Luckily, they are very affordable by government standards!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362715409797?c ... gL-__D_BwE

Me? I'll stick with my old $15 TI-30! :cheers:
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2021 Royal Enfield Continental 650 GT
2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Pterodactyl
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Watch that does common core math!

Post by Pterodactyl » Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 am

Come on.... that is a great deal. FREE SHIPPING!!!!
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
After taking several readings I’m surprised to find my mind is fairly sound..... Willie Nelson, Me and Paul

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sun May 09, 2021 1:30 pm

...and free returns...

Just gotta watch out for the 20% restocking fee... :shock:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Sun May 09, 2021 2:26 pm

LOL ROTFL!
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2021 Royal Enfield Continental 650 GT
2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Sun May 09, 2021 9:07 pm

I was in Bahrain on business and was in a watch shop in the local souk (marketplace). I tried on a diamond encrusted gold Rolex just for laughs. Watch was used. I asked how much. $80,000.00...USED!
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Mon May 10, 2021 7:46 am

When I was growing up the man who lived across the street was an Army buddy of my dad's and he was also a regional sales rep for Seagrams Whisky. This fellow came over one day and told my dad about his trip to the annual Seagrams sales conference. He said he was sitting at the bar in the conference hotel when the CEO of Seagrams and his wife came in and sat next to him. The CEO introduced the lady who my neighbor described in great detail. It is enough to say that she was a trophy wife many years younger than the CEO and dressed to best display her finest physical attributes. The CEO was wearing a gold, diamond encrusted Rolex and my neighbor remarked on how beautiful the watch was. The CEO took it off and let him handle the watch for a few minutes before giving it back. It had been nearly two weeks since the conference when the neighbor got a package in the mail. In it was a copy of the Rolex and a note from the CEO saying he was sending the watch because of the great job my neighbor was doing and he knew he liked the watch. After hearing this story my dad remarked to his friend that it was a very generous gesture by the CEO. The neighbor responded that yes it was a generous gesture but it made him wonder what would the CEO would have done had he made a similar remark about how beautiful his wife was.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
After taking several readings I’m surprised to find my mind is fairly sound..... Willie Nelson, Me and Paul

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon May 10, 2021 9:15 am

My Dad & brother were traveling in Europe back in the 1980's. Dad bought a copy of a Rolex from a street vendor as a joke so he could bust chops of a buddy who bought a real Rolex and was always showing it off.

It looked exactly like the real thing with the exception that it said "Romex" on the face dial.

He always got a kick showing it to friends in front of his buddy and telling them how much (little) he paid... "I have one too and bought it hot on the streets of Budapest"
It kept time just as accurate as the real deal did.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am

I used to buy knock off Rolexes in Taiwan, to give to friends and family, they even said Rolex in the dial. The ones with a quartz movement were $25 and the ones with a self winding movement were $50.

One of my collogues showed one to a jeweler friend who told him that the stainless watchband was identical to a real Rolex band so much so that the parts were interchangeable.

I gave a self winding one to my Dad, he wore it to his athletic club. Someone at the club asked to see it and after examining it closely, pronounced that it was a real one, pointing out that the second hand moved smoothly, not jerky like the knockoffs.
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

CamaroEric
Party Member
Party Member

Post by CamaroEric » Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 am

The tachymeter - handy for us engineers doing time studies, but not really useful for precision these days.
2008 Gear-Up
2012 NC700X
1962 F-100 Flareside 292 4-spd

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:50 am

The forgeries are getting good. I saw a special on 60 Mins or some such years ago on China's forgery manufacturing industry. What sticks out is the Ping golf club. Even club pros could not tell the difference between the real and fake. The only way they could tell was by putting the club in a machine that accurately replicates the swing. The phony would send balls all over while the real one was fairly uniform. My oldest boy had just purchased a set of Pings and was able to use this as an excuse when he hooked off into the boonies.
Jerry Van

there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 tourist that I call "the ural"