WANTED: Free Garage Audio Advice

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

WANTED: Free Garage Audio Advice

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:29 pm

I'm in the process of building my Dream Garage™ (correction - paying talented professionals to build my Dream Garage™) and I just realized that I hadn't considered upgrading my little 1980's vintage boombox with an actual, by-gawd audio system.

I've been out of the home audio game for some time, so I decided to troll the Watering Hole and cast a line to see if any audiophiles out there bite.

This thing will be a two-story behemoth, with a "party room" second floor (added to "sell" the garage idea to the missus. :wink: ).

Ground floor is gonna go something like this:

Garage Ground Floor Plan.jpg

For the ground floor, I'd like four corner speakers, most likely mounted 3/4 of the way up the 12-foot walls. I'm leaning towards these Bose 301's because their direct/reflecting design should spread the sound around the open space nicely.

Bose-301V-Noir_P_1200.jpg

I'm not necessarily committed to Bose, however, if there's a more effective solution.

I'll also need a decent receiver that can pump out at least 85 Watts to each of the four speakers. Audio sources will predominantly be online streaming and locally stored .mp3 music.

I'll also be shopping for a home theater system for the upstairs, so perhaps a receiver that can accommodate both floors? Only if controlling the audio sources from both floors is convenient. Integrating the two floors' audio is not a priority, but an option I'm willing to consider.

If necessary, I could add a subwoofer, so recommendations for one are welcome as well, but I can always wait to see how the initial setup sounds before investing in additional bass.

Hopefully, I've explained clearly my objectives and look forward to getting what I paid for, in advice. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: WANTED: Free Garage Audio Advice

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 pm

There is a good deal on Klipsch: https://www.adorama.com/kp1065795k2.htm ... flaid62905

There are different combos available...
I like both, Klipsch and Bose. :D
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:55 pm

What the heck is wrong with an old 80s boom box? ;-)

I have a dock I can put my XM satellite radio into for garage use. That's nice to have handy. I just ran the wire for the antennae out the window and stuck it on the outdoor unit for the heat pump for ok reception.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:59 pm

I have a dock I can put my XM satellite radio into for garage use. That's nice to have handy. I just ran the wire for the antennae out the window and stuck it on the outdoor unit for the heat pump for ok reception.
Now, that's something I didn't consider - satellite radio. I have it in my truck, but I suppose I'd have to purchase a new head unit with a detachable SiriusXM module. It's worth exploring.
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 pm

I've been disappointed by Bose, more hype than quality. Their 901's were and are fantastic but the rest of their stuff, meh. Had good luck with Klipsch for my bookshelf speakers with sub, great range and efficiency. Like you, though, I've been out of the game too long to keep up with everything,
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:05 pm

The detachable module radio is cheap. Its the subscription you pay for! I got the "almost" cheapest one so mine shows me album covers in color on the tiny screen. Cheap, but I like it just fine. I put a dock atop the dash in my van and I have the portable dock with speakers in the shop atop my blast cabinet. There's an extra plug there and I don't use that cabinet much anymore. Speakers are nuthin fancy, but certainly good enough.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Their 901's were and are fantastic
That's what I originally wanted, but Bose hasn't produced them in quite a while. I considered purchasing a used set from ebay, but ultimately decided against it.
The detachable module radio is cheap. Its the subscription you pay for!
Not an issue for me. When I purchased my truck, XM offered a lifetime subscription for a hefty fee. I paid it and haven't paid them in a decade. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of the deal. The only worry is that, if I were to move the subscription to a different radio, XM would say, "Oh, we only consider our product's 'lifetime' to be seven years (or whatever)", and I would be expected to start monthly tribute.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

mcj115
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by mcj115 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Off the audio topic...I would reconsider the door size with the positioning of the lift. What is the height of the first floor? Any way you can go with 9" doors. That would be nice the the lift and also if you get a larger boat. Heck I want 12" doors but my shop came with 9" when I bought the house. Have you spec'ed out the concrete to support a lift?
1999 Patrol 5k km and counting. Still running the OEM Russian rubber!

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:03 pm

In the shop I still use a couple of old style "portable" radios. 6 D cell batteries or I unwrap the 110 cord and plug em in. Ain't gonna change that until I finish with sorting and stacking my stuff.......in my home office, I run a pair of Klipsch speakers. Way more power than needed for that 450 sq ft area, but they do sound real nice.
And I do like your layout, power plugs everywhere......but only a single outside faucet?
And, for the once a year clean up, are ya gonna do a floor drain? :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Ultimately, you can pick and choose your speakers if you get a nice Bluetooth network receiver. Or you can get a cheap amplifier and hook a separate bluetooth receiver to it, so that you can play anything from your mobile devices.

I have donated so many pieces of electronics to the GoodWill store. Only left the Marantz turntable and the Blue-ray player hooked to the Sony surround sound receiver from early 90's bought from the former Circuit City store. Sony VCR and the Sony double cassette discarded in the garage😂

What we currently use in our family room is an old Samsung 46" flat screen TV. Not even turning on the soundbar. Using the soundbar from time to time to play music albums saved inside the modern 128GB USB flash drive.

Outdoor speakers overhead in back patio are wired through the attic to the amplifier hooked to a desktop PC in the office...and that is not being used anymore. Hartman Kardon Bluetooth speaker paired to a smartphone or iPad goes everywhere nowadays, while in the patio or exercising in gazebo. Yes, I push pedals of preprogrammed stationary bike in gazebo, listen to music and read SS.

God damn looters are in the area. A lot of shooting, sirens and helicopters... right now. A glass of cognac and a cigar makes me enjoy the evening.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:03 am

What is the height of the first floor?
Already answered in my original post: 12-feet.
Any way you can go with 9" doors. That would be nice the the lift and also if you get a larger boat. Heck I want 12" doors but my shop came with 9" when I bought the house.
Nine-inch doors are much too short for me.
The drawing is misleading. As I mentioned, I have revised it several times and one of the revisions is changing door height to 10'. Also, as I said in my original post, I don't own a boat.
Have you spec'ed out the concrete to support a lift?
Yes, the lift requires 3,000PSI reinforced concrete at least 6" deep.
only a single outside faucet?
Yes. Sorry, I didn't give you enough context. This workshop garage lies adjacent to my existing attached two-car garage, connected by enclosed breezeway. The rear and side are surrounded by woods. I only needed the one sillcock to make water access for my back yard more convenient. The house spigot easily brings water access to the front of this new garage.
And, for the once a year clean up, are ya gonna do a floor drain?
No, I hadn't planned on a drain, but was considering having the concrete installers cut shallow channels, dividing the four bays, to contain spills and encourage them to drain under the doors.
Sony surround sound receiver from early 90's
I have one of those, which was quite premium at the time: an STR-GX909ES

sony-str-gx909es-s_518346.jpg

It currently will not power up, with the display showing a power fault error message. It was my intention to open it up and repair it, but I doubt I'll ever get around to it. I should get a repair estimate. It was a great receiver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

Speedbump
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Speedbump » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:18 am

(No, I don't own a boat)
Yet
Glenn³
2015 Retro.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:22 am

Speedbump wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:18 am
(No, I don't own a boat)
Yet
:lol:

Dont-You-Put-Ricky-Bobby-Meme.jpg
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

bgenest

Post by bgenest » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:55 am

Friends don't let friends buy bose.
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:02 am

Klipsch. Pair of Heresey's and a LaScala here. Pretty old as they were plain plywood without grilles. Never failed me yet. Klipsch replaced one driver when the cone went bad for NaDa. I also have a nice pair of DCM towers that I like.

Even if you patch in your satellite radio I'd opt for a HD tuner.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"