Deltran Battery Tender Product Support

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Deltran Battery Tender Product Support

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:01 pm

I have several Deltran Battery Tenders. I bought one new many years ago, then bought another to have at the lake. Then my original one quit working right and I bought a Battery Minder, which is the one with the high frequency pulse that is supposed to blow the sulfates off the plates. When my cousing died, I got two more Battery Tenders from him. So my small battery charger cup runneth over. However, my old Schumacher 6v/12v charger that I bought in Walmart in VA when I was going to racing school down there has started to act up and I have 3 old bikes with 6v batteries.

When my original Battery Tender died, I called them and found it was out of warranty. But they said that they would sell me a new one at a discounted price. I decided to pass because I wanted to try the Battery Minder.

I remembered that offer from Deltran, so, earlier this week I called and left a message and a very nice lady called me back today. I asked if I could still get the discounted price and she said yes. I asked if I could get it on a different charger and she said yes. So, I asked what the new charger would cost. MSRP for their 1.25A 6V/12V charger is $74.95 and I’ve seen them for as low as $59.95 on-line. She said $27.00. I made sure I heard right and that we were talking about the right charger. I did and we were.

So, a new charger is on it’s way for 1/3 of the MSRP. Not bad. And especially not bad when the warranty on that old one was long over. It was a 10 yr warranty and my guess is I bought it 20 years ago or more. She even apologized for the new charger only having a 5 yr warranty. I told her it was not a problem.

So, my point is, they stand behind their stuff. If you need a charger, I’d suggest you consider Detran Battery Tenders.

I have no connection to them. I just like companies that stand behind their stuff and don't mind promoting those that do.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Deltran Battery Tender Product Support

Post by Lofty » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:17 pm

I too am loyal to Deltran. I've three Tenders in inventory, presently.

There's an easy fix for the Juniors, if or when the capacitor craps out.

Parts:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M2EJ8Y6/ ... _lig_dp_it

Procedure:

I also own and periodically use Deltran's wireless battery monitor. The related (and compulsory) app is a bit wonky. Once connected properly, though, you have the ability to view your battery's resting or charging voltage from anywhere in the world. It's one of my geekier garage tools...

https://smile.amazon.com/Deltran-Batter ... 115&sr=8-2
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:36 pm

I need another one of these, been swapping between bikes. Wouldn't mind a booster pack either :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Nice charger!
My latest charger is almost similar to yours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:36 pm
I need another one of these, been swapping between bikes. Wouldn't mind a booster pack either :)
This solved my issues on that subject and has power for LED chargeable light, cell phone as well my USB fan and has a hook up to charge the pack off the Euro plug via an adapter. Plenty of power to use for the other uses and still crank a cycle next day.

I started a 5.8 l engine twice with it and it was 20 degrees.
Anti G Permanetn Jump.JPG
Anti G XP-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:06 pm

I have 4 going right now. The new bike is a Lithium so don't have a charger for it yet and one bike is in the shop.
Their customer service is great. I dropped mine and the lights didn't work anymore. Called them to get it fixed even though it was way out of warranty and besides... it was my fault. The Sevice Rep told me cut off the plug and they would replace it for $27.00. Or send it to them whole and they'd see if it was "defective" (even though I fessed up to dropping it).

Was deemed "defective" and they sent me a brand-new one plus the pigtail. Cost= Zero. Great service.
Last edited by stagewex on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

isldtime
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by isldtime » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:23 am

Lofty wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:17 pm
I too am loyal to Deltran. I've three Tenders in inventory, presently.

There's an easy fix for the Juniors, if or when the capacitor craps out.

Parts:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M2EJ8Y6/ ... _lig_dp_it

Procedure:

Thanks for that tip. I have a Junior that is on the blink.

I also own and periodically use Deltran's wireless battery monitor. The related (and compulsory) app is a bit wonky. Once connected properly, though, you have the ability to view your battery's resting or charging voltage from anywhere in the world. It's one of my geekier garage tools...

https://smile.amazon.com/Deltran-Batter ... 115&sr=8-2
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Yes, thanks from me as well. I dug into my BT Plus and found both of the small 22uF caps were bad. One read half its rating and the other read zero. There is one other larger 4700uF cap in their that I did not remove. I've ordered the two small ones and one big one from Mouser. I'll do the two small ones first and see if it comes back to life. If not, I do the big one. I had to splice the leads back together. But with C19 house arrest I welcome any new little project like this.
Regards,
Rob
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

lendrinkard

Post by lendrinkard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:53 pm

I have bought several of Harbor Freight battery maintainers. I put cigarette plugs on the ones I use on the Urals.
charger.jpg
They cost $5.99 on sale with a coupon. They are on sale now. I use them to keep my emergence battery packs charged and my lawn tractor charged. Never had one fail.
2012 Gear up - 130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights
2013 NOS Ural T - 130/42 jet, 2 shims, LED running lights, oil cooler

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm

Got my new capacitors for my vintage Batter Tender Plus. I forgot to mention that Deltran told me I have the very first version of their Battery Tender. They said it was the one that put them on the map.

I had ordered the two small caps, 22uF and the one big one 4700 mF. My plan was replace the two small ones, since they both measured low or zero capacitance, and test the charger. If it worked, I was done. If not, I'd replace the big cap.

So I installed the two small caps on the circuit board and connected it to a bike battery. It did what it was supposed to do so I let it sit. My experience is it takes at least 12 hours for the charger to cycle thru all 3 charging modes. This morning I went downstairs and the charger was showing it was in the last mode, the maintenance charge mode. I checked the battery voltage and it was perfect. So, it works. I'll put that big cap in my electrical stuff in case I need to replace it down the road.

So for about 50 cents worth of caps (and $6.00 shipping) I brought my BT Plus back to life.

Thanks again for posting that BT Jr. repair video link.

Rob
Regards,
Rob
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:07 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm
Thanks again for posting that BT Jr. repair video link.
:thumbsup:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

isldtime
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by isldtime » Sat May 09, 2020 10:14 am

Yep, that was a gem of a post. Took me about 10 min. to replace the cap and bingo, all is good.
Told my son about it and it turns out he has 2 JR's on the blink so sending some caps his way!!
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri May 15, 2020 7:04 pm

isldtime wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:14 am
Yep, that was a gem of a post. Took me about 10 min. to replace the cap and bingo, all is good.
Told my son about it and it turns out he has 2 JR's on the blink so sending some caps his way!!
Glad to have assisted here.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey