Is Riding my Ural During a Global Pandemic Socially Irresponsible?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
El queso
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Is Riding my Ural During a Global Pandemic Socially Irresponsible?

Post by El queso » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:27 pm

I mean, what with UDF and all... :D

Was out running errands yesterday (in the rain) and got way more honks, thumbs up and general UDF than usual. I did keep my helmet and gloves on when I talked to people, so I still slept OK last night... :P
2013 Patrol T & 2 dogs

Lofty

Re: Is Riding my Ural During a Global Pandemic Socially Irresponsible?

Post by Lofty » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:47 pm

There are parallel discussions ongoing at ADV Rider. The related threads are usually, but not exclusively, started by members who are taking road/camping trips right now (some planned, some not) because the opportunity has presented itself. At least one such fellow has found himself unemployed, and has rationalized going out in the world because Why not? The threads make it plain that these are not legitimate commutes to the grocery store or pharmacy.

There are the usual sycophants cheering him (and others) on. There are also those individuals who are taking the sober and mature view that, yes, things are just as serious as they seem, and that the rationalizers should please try to think of others and not just themselves.

I am sympathetic to the latter bloc.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:52 pm

IMHO riding is healthy and therapeutic for the soul. I try to safety stay three car lengths when possible from other drivers. I don’t stop for coffee or food. Just for gas. And with that I bring latex gloves handling the pumps and then I throw them away. Riding has been very pleasant with the road traffic so light but I feel like what drivers that are on the road are preoccupied with the stress of the news of the virus so I’m extra careful. I’ve been thinking of wearing a bandana over my mouth with my helmet for added protection. As far as UDF I just say politely,” Please keep your distance from me and my bike” Haven’t had a bad instance yet. If the rules change in Florida as far as riding for riding sake I’ll comply.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 pm

I ponder the same thing on the motorcycle and the bicycle. The biggest issue may be if there is an accident it will tie up first responders an add to an already stressed hospital system. I take it easy and enjoy the outdoors.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

El queso

Post by El queso » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 pm

My post was totally tongue in cheek, but I do continue to use the Ural for errands. I can either use my car or my Ural, and the Ural is far more enjoyable.

Some friends were trying to put together a weekend dirt bike trip and I pretty much shamed them into shutting that down. Not only is cramming 20 people into a handful of RVs not social distancing, but I am not about to put myself in a situation where I am taking up valuable medical resources.
2013 Patrol T & 2 dogs

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:57 pm

The only thing I worry about are the handles on the gas pumps.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 pm

I have to ride because I have an essential job, and its my only form of transportation.

As long as its done prudently, and not in conflict with local mandates I don't see a problem with recreational riding.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 am

The irony of "safer at home" and "keep your distance" orders yet 100s of domestic flights hourly everyday. Tens of thousands workers handling your food and products. Truckers traversing our Country local and long distance. Not being a naysayer or discounting efforts but are we really under lockdown ? Are current efforts enough ? Just saying.

Amongst things I recently learned is to change clothes very often. No more same t shirt or button up, no matter how comfy they get. Fabrics hold and,are easy to re-infect.

Prior to COVID-19, 99% of my rides involve zero food and drink and very rare to stop and socialize. Just ride and enjoy.

I guarantee if you ride at 50 mph open face with your hack shield on, the wind blowing up your right nostril will obliterate COVID -19. :lol:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

Michal
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Michal » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:32 am

If you can follow purpose of restrictions: Not infecting anyone and not get infected, then there is nothing irresponsible about riding for joy. Riding alone in middle of nowhere or on empty street is safe. If you ever get pulled over by officer (does that happens nowdays?) then you are "on my way to grocery or another essential store and you are potentially causing negligent virus spreading by unnecessary pulling me over and talking to me." :-)
By my deeds I honor him, flat twin.
Михаил
2002 Днепр 650 Молодежный Чоппер (КМЗ-8.157.022)
2005 Урал 750 Спортсман (2WD)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 am

Riding in general whether you are going to the grocery store or on a multi state journey is usually a solitary experience anyway. Albeit group rides and the occasional rally/camping.
I've been mostly around town on my wifes Vespa as its the first thing available when I open the garage door and the easiest to just turn-the-key-and-go and park anywhere. The Patrol is buried behind 3 other bikes though it'll come out today as the Sun is shining.

Odd thing is that even on a real solo ride there usually is a destination and a place to stop for a beverage & meal. Can't really do that anymore, at least for awhile.

I think riding (anything) is good for the soul. As riders we've always wanted social distancing for our bikes anyway. And more than 6 feet if possible. A car riding on a highway 6 feet away makes me nervous.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

brianural

Post by brianural » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:30 am

stagewex wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 am
Riding in general whether you are going to the grocery store or on a multi state journey is usually a solitary experience anyway. Albeit group rides and the occasional rally/camping.
I've been mostly around town on my wifes Vespa as its the first thing available when I open the garage door and the easiest to just turn-the-key-and-go and park anywhere. The Patrol is buried behind 3 other bikes though it'll come out today as the Sun is shining.

Odd thing is that even on a real solo ride there usually is a destination and a place to stop for a beverage & meal. Can't really do that anymore, at least for awhile.

I think riding (anything) is good for the soul. As riders we've always wanted social distancing for our bikes anyway. And more than 6 feet if possible. A car riding on a highway 6 feet away makes me nervous.

"The Patrol is buried behind 3 other bikes" You sir have a problem, 3 more bikes and a Patrol. The solution to your problem is a bigger garage! Luckily I have a small shop (20x30) and 1/2 of a oversized 2 car garage (wife claims half for her car) for parking.
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 bought in pieces, working on build
1967 KMZ MB-750

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 am

Oh, it's never been a problem (I keep telling myself) :)
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

El queso

Post by El queso » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 am

Cleaned out the garage on Saturday and I swear I am the envy of every married / middle aged guy in the neighborhood. The Ural is always backed in last, so it is always ready to roll.
IMG_1029.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Patrol T & 2 dogs

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:39 pm

If I was going to be more mature than I am (over 65) then I would not own a Ural. Let alone my target shooting or anything else.

With Physical distancing I am not going to be hurting anything and acualy helping some by employee the fuel supply chain.

So I don't buy riding the Ural is a bad thing, you do not live on bread alone.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

TheWhingnut

Post by TheWhingnut » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:50 pm

i say if you are away from ppl and use disposable gloves for the fuel nozzle you aren't taking any more risk than having food delivered or going to get groceries.YMMV.
Current Ride:
2011 Rocket 3 touring

Previous Ride:
1982 Honda Magna 750
1974 Honda CB125
1978 Honda XL125