DON'T TRUST REVIEWS ON URAL OF NEW ENGLAND WEBSITE

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Tombstoneluke

DON'T TRUST REVIEWS ON URAL OF NEW ENGLAND WEBSITE

Post by Tombstoneluke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 pm

I recently spent almost $500 to buy a kit ordered from Ural of New England. When it came in, it was absolute trash. It was sent back to Ural NE. I posted a review online, and it never showed up. I did it again, telling the truth, and it's still not there. It seems that Ural of New England has censored and refused to publish my negative review. If it happened to me, I'm sure it's happened to others. Don't believe everything you see as they look to me to be cherry picking reviews and leaving out anything that doesn't paint them or their products in a positive light. I sent them an email asking why the product still show "no reviews" and they offered me a discount if I'd buy it again. I said "no thank you, I learned my lesson the first time." My review has still not been posted. It's been weeks.
Last edited by Tombstoneluke on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: BEWARE OF PHONY REVIEWS

Post by stagewex » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:12 pm

So what was it, no censoring here? If it's something that sucks let us know.

Amazon 2nd party vendors do that too. Sometimes they will even give bad reviews to competitors products as well. That's why for instance a publication like MCN for motorcycle related products was an important alternative to all the magazines that accept advertising from the very companies and models they review. I say "was" because MCN is gone.

JD Power was bought and is owned by a Chinese company a few years ago.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Seems to me that someone made a similar complaint about the same dealer in the recent past.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Tombstoneluke

Post by Tombstoneluke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:35 pm

I just bought a new 2019 GU and I hate the tail lights and turn signals, so I spent $495 and bought their CLASSIC LIGHTING KIT which was supposed to include everything to make the turn signals and tail lights look like a Retro. I received no instructions, no hardware, no wiring and no bulbs, even though the website claims this was all included. It consisted of 3 gaskets, 3 lenses, 3 tubular adaptors. That's it. $495. I have since bought the gaskets and adaptors for a fraction of the price and this week should have it complete with all LED components. The point is that Ural NE should be posting the reviews honestly. If they are leaving out less than positive reviews, I now don't believe any of the reviews on the website.

On a related note, I will soon be listing the turn signals, taillights, the rock guards for each and all related components for sale along with the two OEM LED lights from the front of the sidecar. As new with only 300 miles when removed.

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 pm

It seems anyone would be foolish not to run a big ticket item (whatever that means) past the collective beforehand. Just makes sense.

I just bought parts for an LED upgrade for two bikes for $60. One bike is finished getting ready for the next.

I have bought several items including a twin shifter from UNE Without issue, the documentation could have been better, took a lot of trial and error to get working to my satifaction. But I have also heard some discouraging words UNE from other dealers I buy from.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:09 pm

I bought a retro style valve cover from Ural Ne for my GU. The holes for the locating pins were slightly off and I enlarged them with a dremal. No big deal. I left a review mentioning that and Ural Ne rejected it, saying I misused the part by putting a Retro cover on a GU. WTF, they're the same engine. If the parts are machined differently you'd think they would want people to know that.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 pm

Subject header is confusing me. What's your complaint? Is it really "fake" reviews they publish or that they didn't publish your complaint? :?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 pm

rivers wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 pm
Subject header is confusing me. What's your complaint? Is it really "fake" reviews they publish or that they didn't publish your complaint? :?
It does seem the OPs subject header, and actual subject aren't the same.

"Censoring bad reviews" would be more accurate.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 pm

Tombstoneluke wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:35 pm
I received no instructions, no hardware, no wiring and no bulbs, even though the website claims this was all included. It consisted of 3 gaskets, 3 lenses, 3 tubular adaptors.
Did you contact them about the advertised missing items?
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 am

I'm a month into a build of a new bike so taking off but also adding a lot of items related to protection. Like a skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, etc. Since this is a new model (Honda CRF450L) some of the parts being advertised & sold do not fit exactly like they should because they are actually for another close-cousin model like a 450X or a 450R. I send them back and advice the vendor that they have the wrong information listed on-line. No problems with that so far. But the instructions for even the simplest install are as usual terrible and whether these were manufactured here in the USA or elsewhere, the install literature and even the pictures are pretty bad. Nothing new in the motorcycle aftermarket world. If there isn't a youtube video then I make one myself for others.

I've had those same what you are calling "classic" turn signals but didn't buy that kit, too frikken expensive. I bought the rear two from someone here that changed to the round tractor-style lens. After months of never seeing a front-facing sidecar fender on flea-bay/craigslist or here I bought one from Gene at Holopaw. On a visit to him a few months earlier I noticed he had a few sitting on a shelf in his shop. I think it was something like $80.00-$90.00.

I mounted the rear ones and it was not an easy task. Some drilling and dremel work. Not ever Ural is the same and that goes for fenders and other parts not original to the bike. It came out fine but before I went to do the front sidecar one I realized that the way I use my rig nowadays which is mostly off-road and in the woods these "classic" parts were not going to hold-up. So it was either "The Look" or common-sense for me to return to the regular boxy stock ones for a patrol. Based on what Ural NE was selling their kit for I believe I sold all that I had (everything they sell except for wiring and instructions) for $300 or $275, right here on SS. So even if you wanted to go forward with your project and buy the parts ala carte I'd just contact Gene or Terry as they have a lot of the used and spare parts available. They don't as far as I know sell "kits".
Another alternative is going with the round Tractor style ones which you can pick up cheap and really do look pretty darn good.

The deletion of negative reviews is not right. This is a dealer that probably charges some of the highest prices for almost everything. But a lot of it's customers are pretty happy with their purchases and don't mind "paying-up" for the service and expertise. Most have stated so here on SS in the past. So in the parts and accessories area if they won't or don't include negatives as well as positives then they should just get rid of their entire customer satisfaction review section, it's not accurate.

If I had gotten as far as installing the front-facing "classic" turn signal when a tree jumped in front of me I might have cried... really! They are fragile.
Replacing the boxy part ain't that bad though the actual plastic lens is pricy. I keep a couple spares :)
IMG_9515.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Tombstoneluke

Post by Tombstoneluke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:52 pm

So, new to forums and didn't realize so many people who have nothing better to do than engage in semantics. If a vendor is deleting negative reviews, I see no reason to suspect that they wouldn't engage in posting phony reviews. Call it what you want, but the review system was designed so that potential buyers could view honest reviews, good and bad, to make informed choices. "censoring bad reviews", not actually "fake reviews", whatever. How about, "Don't trust reviews on Ural of New England website" Would I then fall in the good graces of the semantics police?

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Re: DON'T TRUST REVIEWS ON URAL OF NEW ENGLAND WEBSITE

Post by tgtrotter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm

" UNE won't post my bad review" or " I had a bad experience..." is more accurate.

Read reviews between the lines and be skeptical, good or bad. It goes without saying if a business ONLY has positive reviews, something is askew.

The good news is you got refunded right. And your experience and your review is read here which probably carries more credibility and scrutiny.
:cheers:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

Tombstoneluke

Post by Tombstoneluke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 pm

"You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time." You sure as hell can't ever please assholes.

I myself am not an a$$hole; I'm think of myself as a hemorrhoid; my job is to irritate assholes. I've worked with, or am related to so many for so long, I'm developing antibodies.....

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am

I had some one offer my business to post 1000 5 star reviews for some kind of $$$
No thanks.