C-19 and the Ural Community (Corrected Title)

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

C-19 and the Ural Community (Corrected Title)

Post by RC20 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Not that we are not along for the ride anyway.

This is moving extremely fast as far as reaction. Israel now requires 14 day quarantine before any travel into the country allowed.
I would not be surprised any travel (when and if they get the test kits) will require a negative test to board.

NCAA says playing to empty arenas, Duke has simply canceled all athletics and won't be there, 5 minutes latter NCAA canceled it the whole thing.

NBA went in 5 minutes from playing a live game to cancelling the season.

I have seen one possible preventative step for over 60, getting Pneumonia shots (there are two) as the secondary infection in C-19 is Pneumonia.
Not a given, but removes that and over 60 the curve starts up fast, overall I believed mortality is 39% (includes people in bad health)

The Pneumonia shots are recommended for anyone over 65. I had it sooner due to some Asthma. I got the second one yesterday. They prefer to space them.

Don't panic, stock a bit of food to carry thorough a self quarantine, dry is best as its good for another event (Earthquake in our case)

Figure out where you want to be to ride this out and stay or go there. I don't see it normalizing for 6 months. It won't be over but adjustments made and process to resume will be in place and people adapting as well as a lot better detail on who and what the actual risks are.
Last edited by RC20 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: C-17 and the Ural Community

Post by on2wheels52 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:52 am

Captain Trips?
'10 Patrol
DL650 (hacked) WR250R plus a few old crocks

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:36 pm

I thought this was going to be about the C-17 Globemaster, the huge cargo plane that replaced the C5 Galaxy. :oops:

...after reading I see you are referring to C-19, aka Covid 19, aka Corona Virus.

So I went and washed my hands after reading it. :wink:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Never seen anything quite like this, gonna be an interesting ride
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Darn, I thought it was about the big Cargo Plane too.
I'll give a full report from boots on the ground (you see my location, right?) tomorrow when I'm off and have an actual full day in town.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 pm

In my 73+ years I have been very fortunate. I spent 3 tours as a United States Marine in Vietnam. Was wounded 6/16/1966. Served as a Marine Security Guard at the American Embassy in Saigon. During my Saigon tour I rode bicycles and small motorcycles daily. Never a mishap!

Both my wife and I have been blessed with good health, albeit old age does have a way of wearing certain body parts out quicker than others. But, all in all, things have hung together pretty well. I rode bucking horses and bulls for 2 years during my first 2 years in College after my Marine Corps discharge and before meeting my future bride. Many broken ribs and a broken wrist were the norm, but after meeting my lady I thought I had better find another sport to take up my idle time. So a plethora of various motorcycles followed, and now only one in the stable, a 2018 Gear Up! Fun times!

Now we are all faced with the Covid-19 coronavirus. Whether one believes it is a man-made/engineered virus to eliminate some of the population in China (1st theory I heard a month + ago), or "just another variety of the seasonal flu (nope, I ain't buying THAT explanation), to being something that is newer than we have ever seen before (sounds likely to me, and I worked in the veterinary medicine/animal health industry for over 40+ years, so I HAVE seen a lot of "new" diseases that affect dogs, cats, birds, horses, cattle, goats, sheep, etc). So NOW what do we do?

My wife and I have been going to Mexico every spring for a number of years. We booked our plane tickets and hotel in Puerto Vallarta about 6 months ago. We are scheduled to fly out March 24th with my best friend and his girlfriend. Our 3 kids are worried for us. We live in the Pacific Northwest north of Seattle about 45 miles. We are VERY close to the epicenter of this virus. So when visiting with our kids my argument is "So why stay IN the epicenter of this, rather than go to Mexico? In Mexico it will be quite warm, which viruses do not do well in heat. Or stay home in the cool, moist environment of the Pacific Northwest and risk infection?" Their retort is "But you will be in a plane for 5 hours and will increase the possibility of catching it!" And MY reply is "Then we will drive. And it will be a LOT of fun on the Ural!"

Now THAT sounded reasonable to me!!! But, as I have told them so many times in their younger years "The mind can justify any action or inaction." (Dang it I hate it when my previous words catch up with me . . . . .) THEN my bride of almost 47 years chimed in and stated VERY CLEARLY "WE ARE NOT DRIVING OR RIDING THERE!" She used her ultimate veto power (which if you will all really admit it you know how that works!)

So we are waiting until next Thursday to make our final decision to go or not to go. If we ultimately decide to go my wife worries that travel restrictions might be put into place and we cannot return home for a while. I thought 'So what is the downside to THAT?' But I, smartly, decided to remain mute on that subject. So those that have read this please ask the Ural Gods to use anything in their power(s) to assist us into getting to Mexico.

I will update later as to what SHE decides, As we all know the ultimate veto power could certainly be put into play. Stand by . . . . . . . .
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
Current 2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman/Sears Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ1000
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing GL1800
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW R1200GS
2018 Ural Gear Up

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Out foraging for supplies @ Wal Mart yesterday - the store was very crowded. The shelf for Tylenol Advil Excedrin etc. was completely empty - only a few packages of Toilet Paper left.
My "Wally World" visit was enhanced by a store employee coughing on me.

Including a few INSPIRATIONAL TP PIX - to lighten the load...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm

on2wheels52 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:52 am
Captain Trips?
Tube-neck!

:bow:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

RC20

Re: C-19 and the Ural Community

Post by RC20 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Yea I looked at it 7 times or more and it still did not register.

Damn.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

bratmanxj

Re: C-19 and the Ural Community (Corrected Title)

Post by bratmanxj » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Most of Chicagoland has canceled schools, my wife's through April 3rd, my son's through 13th.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm

A) best way to go is protect your lung!
my mother in law and i got vaccinated with this stuff: Broncho Vaxom,
As far I understood my doc: Bacterias that live naturally inside the lungs and apparently clean up the lungs and avoid mucus. (i might be wrong, on how it works, but indeed it worked very well to take my ancient mother in law out of intensive care station due to harsh lung troubles and be cough free until her pass by nearly 3 years later.)

B) Keith, your idea is good and valid. Get fresh air, stay out of places with AC and where many people are joined. And if you get confined for quarantine take your snail house with you... As said, if someone wants to close the border... stay on your side of the border but in dry warm climate. Make a snow bird trip to Arizona, or whereto the nose leads you.

Every day is a gift... "a few days ago" we talked about it several hours ... do it.

Regards from a man who got saved 1988 in Death Valley by a snow bird named Lee Snow.
Best wishes.
Sven

(haven't had those blue Solera cigars for years now---Continue the trip and we find out where they are produced up in our mountains...)
(since 2016 the only 2 times I had serious bed time were due to be sitting in a plane beside someone who worked in a call center. (+1:daughter brought cough from University lab=contaminated AC units)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

David Z

Post by David Z » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:13 pm

That Organic TP is in very short supply here, the trees are bare for at least another month.
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:34 pm
Out foraging for supplies @ Wal Mart yesterday - the store was very crowded. The shelf for Tylenol Advil Excedrin etc. was completely empty - only a few packages of Toilet Paper left.
My "Wally World" visit was enhanced by a store employee coughing on me.

Including a few INSPIRATIONAL TP PIX - to lighten the load...
2016 Patrol "Mr. Breeze "

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by VWNate1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:06 am

Things are falling apart here in Los Angeles too.....

The L.A.U.S.D. closed up shop at the end of school to - day, Friday 3.13 .

The great grandson's kindergarten closed up last week .

I'm going to Death Valley soon and in April on a vintage Motoring bottom buster tour....
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:55 am

As I am a remote employee for my outfit, it looks like I’m going to be paid to ride my Ural for the next couple of weeks. All of our customers have started blocking vendor visits. I can only get on site if invited AND if I pass a Covid-19 test, which I can’t seem to get anyway. As I told my boss when asked about my upcoming schedule, I have plenty to do but no one is letting me do it.

It seems that I’m still stuck answering phone calls from customers and stupid email requests from corporate.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:27 am

I find it all kinda interesting, As a city P&D driver in the LTL industry its pretty much business as usual, if not a bit more busy.

Schools, Microsoft, REI, and other large office building operations are closed, but that's about it.
Retailers, wholesalers, manufacturers, construction, Amazon, ect. are all still conducting normal operations. A few have modified procedures to limit contact.
A few food wholesalers are asking drivers for personal medical information, or to sign liability statements, but we've been instructed to not do so under any circumstance, and refuse the pickup or delivery.

I'm not concerned, and just exercise the usual hygiene precautions I always have as someone who interacts with many people in many locations every day.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70