Theory of Riding Sidecars

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Theory of Riding Sidecars

Post by rougaroo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:26 pm

There's been a lot of discussion recently on alignment, lean-out, riding on curves, exercises, etc. This is a chapter from a German manual called Manual for Enthusiasts of Riding with a Sidecar by the (German) Federal Motorcycle Riders Association, and translated & published by the USSCA way back in 1988.

This has a great but technical explanation of some of the physics involved in sidecars, with some good and unfortunate illustrations of what happens if you don't get it right. Physics always wins. Also of interest is how the center of balance changes with various loads. All of this is stuff that is far different from a 2-wheeler and that you have to just practice, practice, practice to get right.

Worth the read:
Theory of Riding Sidecars.pdf
Rougaroo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

aduthie
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Theory of Riding Sidecars

Post by aduthie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:43 pm

That’s got me thinking about how to initiate three-wheel drift when turning right/into the sidecar. I watched someone doing this on highway 180 out of Suches, GA last August. It was impressive. (On the other hand he wore out one of the Duro knobby tires in two days/400 miles...)
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Nashville, TN

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Yep the CoG must stay within the "magic triangle". I was told by my tutor worst thing you can do is have a pillion passenger on and the sidecar empty. The CoG is very high and very close to one side of the triangle, if it goes outside the triangle (the line between the bike's tyres) you're off.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Forklifts in a different direction for the triangle.

I have the Ural manual for diving in a PDF, too large for the attachment but PM me and will send.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 pm

It's just a theory, I don't think it can be done. :lol:
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:27 pm

I was told by my tutor worst thing you can do is have a pillion passenger on and the sidecar empty. The CoG is very high and very close to one side of the triangle, if it goes outside the triangle (the line between the bike's tyres) you're off.
Occasionally you'll see someone who thinks they'll take the family for a ride and they put the wife on the back and the kid in the sidecar. Seems semi-logical from a two-wheel perspective, but it's a recipe for disaster.
I have the Ural manual for diving in a PDF, too large for the attachment but PM me and will send.
All of the Ural manuals, the Yellow Book, and other references are available for download in a sticky at the top of the "Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions" section of the forum called "Sidecar Manuals for Newbs (and old pharts, too)"

Rougaroo

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:25 am

There is a old manual circulating "how to ride a Ural" I once got it from our friend Marine by choice. its very good to. (might search for it later after work, because the IMZ-link is outdated....they should make it available again, because it has excellent recomendations for riding safety "look ahead!")

The manual you mention was my only guide for to learn "how to change from a 3 wheeled Austin Mini Cooper to a 3 wheeled Honneker-Taxi". After one Norway trip in December and several camp rides in winter I learned my lesson well. (and had my MZ rig severely damaged - 2 strokers do not like winter!)

In Spanish we made up a tutorial thread for rig riding basics in the spanish forum.
http://foro.foroural.es/index.php?topic ... 594#msg594
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:40 am

The link for "How to Ride the Ural Sidecar" is in the sticky titled "Sidecar Manuals for Newbs (and old pharts too)" at the top of the "Ural/Dnepr Newbies" section of the forum

I am purposely not listing the link in this thread to encourage new users to use the "Search" function here on SS. There is an immense amount of information here on Steeds. it is highly likely that (almost) any question you have may already have been answered - with pictures - in some previous thread.

As the I Ching says: Perseverance Furthers
e21dad198eb7442adededb15bae6b3f7.jpg
Rougaroo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:58 pm

:lol:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")