Ural purchase now on hold. Cause...

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Ducati Pilot
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Ural purchase now on hold. Cause...

Post by Ducati Pilot » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:34 am

:( Good God. This Chinese corona virus has seriously impacted the road forward as far as seeing a Ural in my driveway anytime soon. My household income subsists entirely of getting products manufactured in Chinese factories and subsequently importing them to the U.S. for sale. And it ain’t happening now. So sorry for everyone affected (and infected) by this scary turn of events. Let’s all hope this situation turns the correct corner and smooths out very soon. If it does, my house will soon be on the road to recovery, as will thousands of others around the world. If not, well, we shudder to think...
The implications possible for the global economy are simply freaking terrifying if China can’t get the gears turning again, and quickly. Prayers, if you believe in that sort of thing.
Meanwhile, I continue to dream of a 2019/2020 GU in Forest Fog. Or OD green. Or maybe Slate Grey...
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
2006 Ducati S2R1000 “hot rod” build
1980 Yamaha SR250 Scrambler build
1979 Kawasaki KZ750 B-Twin “War Pig”
I will own a Ural, hopefully sooner than later.
I’m loving this forum!

Mr Wazzock

Re: Ural purchase now on hold. Cause...

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:19 am

Yep, I remember having a conversation with someone a few years ago now, he was saying if China goes t!ts up for any reason we're all in the deep do-do's, 'cause of the world and his dog having everything manufactured over there now. :(
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:05 pm

could be a helluva wake up call. Way too much stuff we depend on comes from China.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Here's an interesting video describing life at "EUPA", a factory-city in southeast China that is almost the size of Monaco. The ChiComs established so-called special economic zones in order to attract foreign investment. EUPA is a Taiwanese-owned concern.

Wages begin at $1.77 per day.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:45 pm

I remembered afterwards, the person I was talking to was a colleaque at Maplin Electronics where we used to work, I left there around 1995 (he stayed a bit longer, maybe 4 more years), so that's how long go that conversation was. :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:54 pm

Lofty wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 pm
Here's an interesting video describing life at "EUPA", a factory-city in southeast China....
Wow!

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm

I am sorry for the impact on you, poor smucks that are getting hammered. I am not like the Chicom govt but I have nothing against the people.

On the tech side which is where I go as its in my DNA and I don't like the emotional part, so far it looks like a bad flu, the death rate is in that area. Not nice but if you look at how many are done in by common flu its amazing.

Not to ignore it of course but some perspective.

They are getting some odd data, the test has been missing it and they are not sure why (its a DNA ID). Ego those who test negative and a few days latter positive. Causing a lot of issues on the screening of course.

Outside China it does not seem as lethal but they don't have the numbers (good) so that is tentative.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Ducati Pilot

Post by Ducati Pilot » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:48 pm

RC20 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm
I am sorry for the impact on you, poor smucks that are getting hammered. I am not like the Chicom govt but I have nothing against the people.

On the tech side which is where I go as its in my DNA and I don't like the emotional part, so far it looks like a bad flu, the death rate is in that area. Not nice but if you look at how many are done in by common flu its amazing.

Not to ignore it of course but some perspective.

They are getting some odd data, the test has been missing it and they are not sure why (its a DNA ID). Ego those who test negative and a few days latter positive. Causing a lot of issues on the screening of course.

Outside China it does not seem as lethal but they don't have the numbers (good) so that is tentative.
I agree with all, and the jury is still out in regard to the latency period without Individuals being symptomatic and just how easily communicable this newest (genetically modified/engineered?) virus really is. Could be really...freaking...scary. The flu has definitely killed more (and doesn’t get it’s fair share of press in pretty much any year) but this new threat could possibly infect a LOT more people. That’s just my conjecture based on what sketchy things I’ve heard so far.
And as for the other responses? Go into any room of your house, pick up any object, and turn it over to see where it’s made. I don’t think everyone totally grasps how deep we’re into this China thing. Disclaimer: I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing, because China is absolutely killing it now in manufacturing, and they have the lions share of the worlds market in almost absolutely freaking everything. Their quality of manufacturing in the last 3 decades has increased immeasurably, and no other economy can match what they’re turning out for the landed price. So yeah, from a global economic perspective it’s a very scary thing if they do indeed end up with their nipples pointed at the cloudy, polluted sky.
Jeez, I used to be such an optimistic person...
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
I’m loving this forum!

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Interesting subject, too bad we don’t have a “Soap Box”. :sarcasm:
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Agreed. Have to watch getting to carried away.

World is no going to end if China has a seizure, some low supplies and then it will fill in.

Would be a good thing to get what we can back into the US. I know not all ever but what I saw over the years was we cold make good stuff better than foreign countries could.

Wages are lower there, but so are cost of doing business and getting it here .

One fastener operation had to quality inspect all the stuff they got from there. I wondered how much they saved when if they sourced US that was built in?
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Rusty Nuts

Post by Rusty Nuts » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:48 pm

After watching that video you can see how the virus could spread fast and that would have major impact on production. Before the economic collapse after '06 I was looking at starting a tool store Similar to a Harbor Freight (only with some quality tools too). With the dependency on China, I would also be on hard times right now. Some times I am glad things worked out as they did, other times I sure would like the independence of having my own life.
2019 Gear Up "Babe"
2017 Indian Roadmaster Classic "Cheyenne"

Ducati Pilot

Post by Ducati Pilot » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:15 pm

OK, fair enough and well received. I wasn’t trying to soapbox this, but now see that I totally did. It’s all just really scary on a personal front.
In addition, I also realize I sound like a d-bag because I can’t purchase something utterly frivolous on account of other people dying due to a nasty pandemic.
So, scary on a couple of counts. I hope it gets a lot in better both ways super soon.
I’ll shut up now.
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
I’m loving this forum!

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:08 pm

Lokiboy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Interesting subject, too bad we don’t have a “Soap Box”. :sarcasm:
I miss that place for a lot of reasons.
Especially since you knew something about and had a common interest with the other people you were talking with, or listening to, as opposed to some internet shill on one of the “other forums devoted to ‘whatever’ “ or the “more appropriate place” that was suggested as an alternative.
Although I didn’t post much in the “Soapbox”, I found its removal lessened the value of this forum, and the manner in which it was removed rather hoakey .

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Keeping it about Russian bikes is good

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:47 am

Hoping things get better there soon. Its a very sad situation. I did see a stat that 38,000 people die worldwide every month from the flu. I had no idea. :(
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"