Best Ural Tool Roll Ever?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Best Ural Tool Roll Ever?

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Did you pare the sockets down to the Ural sizes?
Nah, the set is just a cheapy Pittsburgh set from Harbor Freight. I've been using them for years now without issue.

I'll investigate the MegaPro screwdriver. It looks interesting.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

mattzahr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mattzahr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:13 pm

What??? No coveralls in that trunk?
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm

mattzahr wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:13 pm
What??? No coveralls in that trunk?
Well, I almost got some Vetter Old School Racing Bibs, but they weren't my size. :wink:
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

mattzahr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mattzahr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:23 pm

You would have looked quite dapper in those.....Image

How in the world are you these days???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by RC20 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 pm

I'll investigate the MegaPro screwdriver. It looks interesting.
After a test, universal tools like Leatherman etc never made it into my tool box.

The Megapro wormed its way in right away. I fine tuned it with Roberts heads as those popped up , hex drives and then the Philips I so hate and slot and a couple of the common torx.

Its only issue was a narrow channel down to a fastener, the shank was sometimes too big but vast majorly of the time not an issue.

I had two at home so now I have 3!
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Snuggly Ranger

Post by Snuggly Ranger » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:34 am

BDSD,
Thank you for posting this!

Chad,
You are not an influencer, you are an inspiration!

Y’all just saved me $100 and I really appreciate it!!

Thank you!
2016 Gear Up

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Kaliram wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 pm
:clap: for the Tundra First Alert fire extinguisher: small yet very effective; easy to use; can be mounted anywhere so that it is readily available; biodegradable and nontoxic and wipes clean without any mess.
This is the exact type we stopped carrying. It's just a thin can.
Inside the trunk off-roading they got dinged, dented and scraped.
Outside the trunk they wouldn't hold up to the muck thrown at them.
If the fire is from gas dripping from the tank, I want more than a whipped cream can's chance to fight it.
I'm currently looking for a place to mount this.
More fire fighting capacity, sturdier bottle.
I'm thinking in the trunk, or in it's own PVC pipe tube.
Slightly less accessible than your solution, but out of the way of mud and muck.

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:35 pm
The knock-off is 95% as good as the original. Do not hesitate to purchase one. It's an exceptional value...For the money, the ChiCom is undoubtedly the way to go.
Thanks for confirming Chad! I felt it was good value but didn't know how it compared to the Atlas.
Also good point about leaving it un-rolled, hadn't considered that option.
I agree that the strap hardware isn't the most heavy duty, but I have mine slung so the spare strap slings around the outside of the roll, so when I'm picking it up rolled, I'm using the twin handles AND the extra strap.
The extra strap draws the roll tighter and is across the flaps to help keep them down.

I keep only a few fairly flat things in the open ended slit side for exactly the reason you mentioned, so it rolls easily.

I haven't added sockets to my URAL tools in 10 years.
I thought I wanted to, so I got one of these from pro-Motion.
It fits in one of my aluminum tire spoons, saving the weight of a ratchet.
But the reality is, I haven't needed a socket in all the years of roadside repairs, a wrench is usually all that is needed.
Were there times a socket would have been handy? Yep.
But have I ever been stranded due to lack of socket? Nope.

Besides I can always borrow one from one of you guys. :lol:

As for other tools, I use an old-school orange handled 4-in 1 screwdriver and carry a tiny flat head screw driver for the idle and air jet adjustments.
I ditched the cheap Ural pliers and carry these, flippable combination needle nose and linemen's pliers.
Mine are Husky and apparently not available anymore, but these are similar.
They are as sturdy as regular pliers but you get two pliers for the weight of one.

https://www.amazon.com/Allied-30578-Swi ... B0002IWZWG

That is as gimmicky as I get with tools, I don't carry multi-bit or leatherman gizmos.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Oh and I found a pic of my 1l oil can (Brunton camping fuel can) and mechanical "bottle" jack.
These bottle hold up better than a plastic quart of oil bouncing around in the trunk.
I also keep one full of fuel in the tail bag of the Rocket III.
Like the Ural it also weighs 750lbs, but it isn't as easy to push and doesn't have a place to mount a 5l fuel can, ;)

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 pm

With the ChiCom roll-up tool organizer having received Chaddington's imprimatur, I ordered it today. I'm looking forward to having easier access to the variety of tools and spares that I carry.

As to Rich's recent and cogent point regarding fire supression, I carry a proper extinguisher in a sturdy cardboard box. Sharing that space are spare fluids and funnels. After being carried for 10K miles in that configuration, there's no observed rub marks (i.e., wear) on the extinguisher.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 pm

I carry an array of sockets and a variety of other tools that don’t necessarily fit my GearUp, as I’m frequently working on things other than my Ural, and I’m not packing with the mindset of taking a solo trip around the world . I do use those sockets.
One of my BMW Airhead buddies (he is also a fellow house mover/rigger) shared a trick with me years ago. He decided what sockets fit his motorcycle, and stacked them on a long bolt then tightened a nut/ washer on the other end.
That contained the sockets and allowed them to fit in a wrench slot. There was also some talk about that bolt having some alternate use that now slips my mind, and that it also may have been a spare for some application on the motorcycle.
On my Retro I am somewhat of a minimalist.

I’ve struggled to come up with a mounting for a fire extinguisher that satisfied all my requirements, I found one that was intended for Jeeps that checked all the boxes, but it was pricey and I never got around to splurging for one. Perhaps I’ll find the link and share it here, but it would probably be better as a subject for its own thread.

I can comment that BinDerSmokDat and Lofty probably have different riding styles and are operating under different conditions, while Lofty’s trunk is usually picture perfect it would look like scrambled eggs within the first couple of kilometers of a Jersey Devil Hunt. I would certainly recommend securing those trunk items, or at least packing enough soft items around them to keep them from bouncing around.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:24 pm

jaybird wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 pm
I can comment that BinDerSmokDat and Lofty probably have different riding styles and are operating under different conditions, while Lofty’s trunk is usually picture perfect it would look like scrambled eggs within the first couple of kilometers of a Jersey Devil Hunt.
BDSD and I did traverse some truly rough patches in and near Michaux State Forest during Friday's day ride at the 2019 Gettysburg Blue-Gray Rally. There weren't any scrambled eggs in the trunk that evening. I agree that stuffing a large towel in there for such rides would be a good idea.

Here's Waffl6 being a real sport as I endeavored to keep us not dry. :) BDSD and his girlfriend are behind us.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 pm

I just made my own tool roll. Screw expensive stuff. I don't need or want some "Superlative Tool Roll".
No Mercedes or Ferrari toolroll, Chevy truck is OK. Something simple that works is just fine.

From Yard Sale 10 years ago: Nice excellent condition (relatively) simple sewing machine. $ 20.00

Yard Sale Oil Cloth piece: $3.00, matches Sage Green

A few hours of goofing around with it, just free time.

Director Cat supervisor - nice, 1/8 cup Kitty Snacks

Director Cat declined to be rolled up in "Tool-Roll" in case you were wondering.

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 pm

Lofty wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:24 pm
jaybird wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 pm
I can comment that BinDerSmokDat and Lofty probably have different riding styles and are operating under different conditions, while Lofty’s trunk is usually picture perfect it would look like scrambled eggs within the first couple of kilometers of a Jersey Devil Hunt.
BDSD and I did traverse some truly rough patches in and near Michaux State Forest during Friday's day ride at the 2019 Gettysburg Blue-Gray Rally. There weren't any scrambled eggs in the trunk that evening. I agree that stuffing a large towel in there for such rides would be a good idea.

Here's Waffl6 being a real sport as I endeavored to keep us not dry. :) BDSD and his girlfriend are behind us.

Although I was at that function I did not indulge myself with participation in that particular ride, but it was related to me that the trails were rather mild and the riding somewhat easy, at least in comparison to the JDH, especially with Rich/BDSD leading the ride :lol: if he was behind you at the BGR that would confirm the reported difficulty of the ride.
No matter.
I drive rather fast in the woods, probably faster than I should at times, and unless I have items strapped in and/or packed in tight, top, bottom, and sides, the contents of my trunk very quickly look like “scrambled eggs” :lol: :lol: :lol: you “might” be able to drive a little slower and more cautiously, but under the circumstances that might be difficult, best to be prepared.
N.B. I will say that gobium made it through the last JDH that he attended without getting his “art project” dirty or scratched, but he’s just that kind of guy.

I hope to see you out at the next mud splattered carnage fest :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

windmill

Post by windmill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:39 pm

I remember one time when I was riding the moguls on a snowmobile trail...think 3' high washboard... with some other folks . One of the other riders flagged me down because my Jerry can broke out through the bottom of the mount.
I figured I would use some rope to lash it back in place, and when I opened my trunk to get it, the 3/4" thick rubber floor mat was on top of everything. My kit bag and tool roll both tore open, and their contents were mixed up with everything else, including my drinks and snacks under the floor mat.

I don't think it matters what one uses, but it dang sure needs to be secure.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 am

Cheap hardware on the knockoff? Upgrades are minor fixes and cheap-

https://www.strapworks.com/Snap_Hooks_s/36.htm

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress