Best Ural Tool Roll Ever?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Best Ural Tool Roll Ever?

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Probably not. :lol:
But while I have your attention, let me show you what I just picked up on Amazon.

I saw an Atlas 46 Yorktown tool roll in a pop-up ad, but when I went shopping for them I saw that they sell for $140!!! :shock:
I'm sure it's nice and has YKK zippers and is 'Murican made, but I'd feel weird having my tool roll be the most expensive thing in the trunk.

If I was a tactical combat rocket surgeon and had to repair a Bradley fighting vehicle as it was rolling and firing at the same time, I'd get the Atlas.
But being this is a Ural and the quality of my tool roll is slightly less mission critical, I decided to try the Chinese-made knock-off, for over a $100 less.

So what made me re-think my tool storage situation?
Last month on the New Year Ride I couldn't find my circuit tester to save my life.
It turned out that ReCycled had one but it bugged me, I just figured I left it at home.
Nope turns out it was in my trunk the whole time.
Instead of all my electrical stuff like circuit tester, spark tester, spare plugs, fuses being in one place I had a little bit scattered across two Husky tool bags, some Husky zipper pouches and an assortment of other pouches.
At some point my gear storage choices made sense but over time I had crept further and further away from simplicity to the point I couldn't find anything.
So I decided an upgrade was in order.

I had ditched the stock Ural tool roll years ago.
It was too honking big and it sucked having to unroll the thing lay it in the sand or muck just to get a single screwdriver.
Many of the pouches were too long or wide and you's lose a 10mm wrench down in side and have to hunt for it.
It was also very long and unwieldy, with no pouches for other stuff.
I thought a tool roll like this with more appropriately sized tool slots, plus zipper pouches on the other side for spares and odd-shaped/extra large tools would be a better idea.
And as it turns out...it is. :boogie:

I'll start with the cons...

A few reviews noted that the tool roll arrived with some of the pouches sewn shut.
Apparently someone at the Chinese factory didn't get that the middle row of stitching that runs through the soft side of the velcro was suppose to be done BEFORE the pouches were formed.
It effectively sews shut all pouches covered by the soft velcro.
Looking at the pics online I saw the problem and figured I'd try it anyway.
Sure enough mine arrived with the pouches sewn shut.
I got out the teeny scissors and in about 10 minutes I'd popped all of the stitches and the pouches were usable.
Ask someone who sews for something called a "seam ripper" and you can cut that amount of time to 5 minutes.
The extra row of stitching is suppose to keep the velcro from puckering away from the backing fabric but I don't think it is a huge problem.
It doesn't impact the structural integrity of the pouches or roll itself, as the extra stitches don't hold together any of the fabric, they just reinforce the center of the velcro.

Next the fabric isn't the heaviest stuff, it is backed with vinyl or something to me make it a little stiffer.
It's probably a little less robust than the stock Ural tool roll.
That said it's about as robust as the fabric for the Husky tool bags and pouches I've been using for the last 8-9 years of Ural ownership.

The zippers seem sturdy enough.
I find the biggest issue people have with zippers is they overstuff what they are zipping, then try to use the zipper itself to force things shut.
This usually results in f*ing up the zipper track/teeth or pulling of the zip tab in the long run.
Instead load the pouches reasonably, pull the fabric together first, making sure it will close, then zip.
It should last at least as long as my Husky stuff

I laid it out on the stainless steel project containment area (aka the kitchen table and yes my kitchen seats match my bike) and got to work.
20200207_104832.jpg
Here are the Husky bags and a pouches along with the tools they contained.
I carry two Husky bags that hold not only tools but duct tape, funnel, spark plugs, WD40, fuel hose, bulbs, starter fluid, spare oil, stainless zip ties, plastic zip ties, electrical tape, etc.
My goal was to get all the tools and 90% of the spares into the pouch and just have some of the consumables like fluids and duct tape left over.
I hit that goal.
20200207_1058551.jpg
Below are some shots of the tools in place.
I had to re-kajigger things around until I found a good fit.
The wrench side was just about perfect for a standard Ural tool pack out.
All wrenches just peek out so you can find what you want at a glance.
The other side swallowed up all the odd-sized Ural tools (pin wrench/spoke wrench, shock/wheel-final drive nut wrench, etc) reasonably well.
20200207_115544 (1).jpg
20200207_120408.jpg
Here is the tool roll with the flaps closed.
Unfortunately, as with most projects, I take pics at the start and then as I get involved I forgot to take pics of the pouches on the other side and the final bag all rolled up. :oops:
20200207_121209.jpg
On the reverse side I stuck a spare doughnut, electrical tape, exhaust and hose clamps and some other stuff in the large flat pouch.
Long pouch #1 (for lack of a better descriptor) I put my custom ball peen tire iron (thanks Jaybird!), that long 30mm wrench (WTF is that for again?), a one ended hacksaw and spare blade, all my allen keys and some other small tools contained in the smallest Husky pouch.

Long Pouch #2 is circuit tester, spark tester, spare plugs, fuses a set of spares for every light bulb, a spare relay, spare relay harness, spare inline fuse holder for critical accessories (GPS, heated gear) and some electrical odds and ends.

Long Pouch #3 holds stainless and nylon zipties, wire and other spares.

Long Pouch #4 holds spare lengths of fuel line, fuel fittings, fuel line sized clamps, compliance fittings and other spares.

I re-kajiggered the extra strap that comes with it to wrap around the bag on the outside when it is rolled up.
This rides over the flaps and helps them stay shut.
I think the original purpose was to hang the pouch from a hook or headrest in a vehicle but I think wrapping around the roll for extra security is
a better use.
Rolled up it is only slightly longer than a Husky bag and about as bulky, but it now contains what 1.5 Husky bags contained plus most of my spares that were tucked in other places.
More importantly all my stuff is in one place, no hunting for things.
Electrical is all together, fuel/carb stuff all together, etc.
This should make trailside repairs and that may-tuh-nins (whatever that is) that ReCycled is always saying I should do, much simpler.
Lastly the trunk is a little tidier and easier to get to stuff.

There is an extra velcro spot to slap a morale or name patch.
I already ordered this...
71lYRJP4UKL._SL1001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Best Ural Tool Roll Ever?

Post by Tomcatfixer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm

I've got an Atlas and love it. We've mentioned them on the forum before:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48877

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55947

I think I'll purchase one of your Chinese knock-offs and compare the materials and construction to my Atlas.

Good find. Thanks for the tip!
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:21 pm

I certainly agree with you about the Ural tool roll. Way to big but might make a nice blanket. I picked up one of these at Harbor Freight and it has served me well, it fits in a tool bag along with things like tire irons, BFH, socket set, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm

I am beefing up the tools not the storage. Matched the Ural tools with my long pattern Armstrong wrenches after I determined that was the weak spot in the set, too short and not combination wrenches. Double box ends might work as well but I have the Armstrong long patterns.

The tools fit fine in the tray under the seat. Might add lining to keep from rubbing but other than that? Got Billet metric hex set, added a spare 3/8 ratchet for them.

Electric stuff is in a bag in the trunk.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:13 pm

The tools fit fine in the tray under the seat.
Those of us with older Urals don't have one of those. That's why this thread is about tool rolls. :P
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:57 pm

In that 2017 thread you guys talked about them being $70-80.
I wouldn't have paid even that much.
How did they jump to $140?

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm

How did they jump to $140?
El Niño?

El Nino.png
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

:FI:Igor

Post by :FI:Igor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Interesting, I've got the original Ural kit (with all kinds of extra crap) and an extra open/box set of wrenches kit, probably enough on the rig. At the house we have a tool board full of stuff (crap). We're in good shape; any thing above that we got a trailer for delivery to Gene at Holopaw. Urals are now, actually very reliable machines. Much more reliable than Harleys and considerable less expensive to operate.
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider (sold)
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)

ReCycled
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by ReCycled » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:27 am

I've been due for an upgraded storage system for a while, a few thousand kilometers of bouncing off-road has taken its toll on my tool and storage bags. My temporary fix has been to put my frayed toolbag into a larger bag ;)

This $40 bag looks like a more elegant solution.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:59 am

I've admired TCF's Atlas tool roll ever since he described his purchase in the linked posts.

Like you, BDSD, I too shifted my tool load out from the OEM tool roll to Husky bags and pouches. They serve their purpose well enough, but they do fill up fast and I've not yet found the tool I needed without first having to dig around for it. The pouch actually holds a small trauma kit that an EMT friend helped me to assemble, piece by piece.

I'll wait for Chad's side-by-side comparison between both products. If the ChiCom tool roll earns a Pass from him, as it has from you, Rich, I might have to join the club.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:13 am

I'll wait for Chad's side-by-side comparison between both products. If the ChiCom tool roll earns a Pass from him, as it has from you, Rich, I might have to join the club.
I didn't realize I was such an influential figure. 8) If I'm not mistaken, "influencer" is now an online profession. I'll have to investigate how to capitalize upon my newfound 'influenza'. :lol:

Since my Atlas bag is khaki, I ordered the black ChiCom version.

41j jMbjnuL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Expected to arrive Monday.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:33 am

ReCycled wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:27 am
... a few thousand kilometers of bouncing off-road has taken its toll on my tool and storage bags. ...
I am not alone then.
Thanks for the ideas :idea: :lurker:
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 am

I really like the Atlas bags opposed tool sleeves with flaps that don't waste space, and keep the tools in place. I really like how Urals bag has everything on one side with a single large pouch on the end.

I'd like a bag that combines those features, but I haven't found one yet
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:26 pm

I had ditched the stock Ural tool roll years ago.
It was too honking big and it sucked having to unroll the thing lay it in the sand or muck just to get a single screwdriver.
Sadly I have to agree. Have never needed to open it "on the road", so has been just dead weight. I have taken out a couple of choice wrenches and keep them elsewhere precisely to avoid the aggro of getting it out and opening it. Think I'm going to leave it at home from now on. Already have my travelling tool roll that I normally carry, now biased in favour of Ural.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 pm

While we're at it here's my trunk. Only thing not shown is the emergency power pack.
P2090115.JPG
Back Row - Blue bag is spare tube and pump. Black roll is tire changing stuff. Red zipper bag is hand cleaner,rags, and spray brake/electrical cleaner. Middle red bag is spare parts. Next red bag is tools. Right bag is jack and wheel chocks.

Front Row - Quart of oil. Fire extinguisher. Red pouch is flashlight and headlamp. Gas nozzle for Kolpin. Jumper cables. Two contractor garbage bags and 4ft by 5ft piece of old tonneau cover for ground cloth.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"