Winter Tires - with or without studs...

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Winter Tires - with or without studs...

Post by RC20 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Based on all I've read, I will try and go with the Heidenau K37S Snowtex, and fit some studs to them, probably from Grip Studs.
I would recommend initial try them and no studs. The winter compound (assuming its good and I see no reason to doubt it) are as good and some conditions better than studs. You can add them latter if you feel they are needed.

I have run Bliazks on our Passat for 15 years and zero need for studs, its another cost and a wear out item (and the grip studs are $1 each, I put about 120 on each tire).

The Ural has been very solid and predicative (granted I have studs).

If you do have to go studs, you link it up chart wise and it gives a tread depth. As my pusher had worn a bit, 1100s were safer, otherwise I would have gone with 1200s. Knobs may allow the 1200 easy.

The key is to stop screwing in right at the point the stud base plate is a hair below the tread. That both sets them not to come out and does not over penetrate .

We had one of the 90s Bronco that was supposed to have anti lock (used and it came with a set of studded winter but not winter compound tires) Said anti lock never cycled. Studs wore out, to much tire wear to allow a re-stud, I put on Blizzaks (that is a Rear Wheel Drive rig vs the Passat front). Whalla, anti Lock worked on ice :clap: Totally convinced, not even a hint of anit lock acion with studs, full tilt boogie with the Winter compound Blizzaks.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

n3303j

Post by n3303j » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:49 am

Thought I remember some Canadian posting a while back that he could not run his Ural during the Canadian winter because it was illegal to run on Canadian roads unless he had tires that were marked as Winter Tires. At that time there were no Ural sized tires specifically marked "Winter" on the sidewall.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

windmill

Post by windmill » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:25 am

n3303j wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:49 am
Thought I remember some Canadian posting a while back that he could not run his Ural during the Canadian winter because it was illegal to run on Canadian roads unless he had tires that were marked as Winter Tires. At that time there were no Ural sized tires specifically marked "Winter" on the sidewall.
Yes, winter tires are mandatory in Quebec Dec 1 to Mar 15, but there's no official winter certification for the few winter motorcycle tires that do exist.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

adriancw

Post by adriancw » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:16 pm

That's where I am heading.... (in February).

Just to be clear, the Quebec requirement only applies to residents of that Province (not tourists), same for Nova Scotia on some roads. Other provinces recommend the use of Mud & Snow (M&S) tires (tyres?).
Adrian C Wright
2016 Ural Gear Up
1969 BSA Rocket 3 A-75
2004 BMW R1150RT
and a few projects...

rd.king
Comrade
Comrade

Post by rd.king » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:24 pm

For most of Canada
You can drive anywhere want to on any tire you want, except for the
snow chains required beyond this point.
They get pretty serious at that point.
Same with tire studs generally accepted as a standard
but illegal in some suburban areas.
1942 WLC Harley Davidson
1943 WLC Harley Davidson
1975 FLH Harley Davidson
2001 FLHR Harley Davidson
2006 Ural patrol

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:20 pm

I would consider just two, pusher front and rear. Does the job and saves money.

I did not stud the side car on my cT as it is only the stabilizer and needs no traction added. I have the brake disconnected on it as well.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:39 pm

adriancw wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:16 pm
That's where I am heading.... (in February).

Just to be clear, the Quebec requirement only applies to residents of that Province (not tourists), same for Nova Scotia on some roads. Other provinces recommend the use of Mud & Snow (M&S) tires (tyres?).
But one should also be aware that in some locations and/or conditions traction tires or chains can be mandatory for all regardless of residency, and studs are prohibited in some states, and provinces.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:58 pm

[/quote]
But one should also be aware that in some locations and/or conditions traction tires or chains can be mandatory for all regardless of residency, and studs are prohibited in some states, and provinces.
[/quote]

If there is a question, I would carry documentation on the tyres - if it came up, you show them that they are winter compound and further you show them either the drive shaft or a picture of it and how you can't put chains on a Ural.

then of course you explain its 2WD. A nice clear and accurate list of details can do amazing things.

I am willing to bet that any inspector would look at it and give you a pass (pun).
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta