How many ride all year round? (Particularly in snowy climates)

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: How many ride all year round? (Particularly in snowy climates)

Post by RC20 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 am

Snow chains?

BTDT.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Now that is a snow thrower! Looks about as old a design as the Ural.

Love it, we got to ride shotgun in one of those when I was a kid. Probably has some to do with hearing loss now, no muffs in those days and it was loud.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:24 am

RC20 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 am
Snow chains?

BTDT.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Now that is a snow thrower! Looks about as old a design as the Ural.

Love it, we got to ride shotgun in one of those when I was a kid. Probably has some to do with hearing loss now, no muffs in those days and it was loud.
We don't get much snow in the low lands, and don't have much in the way of snow removal equipment, but 30 minutes east of downtown Seattle is a different story.

Summer at Snoqualmie summit.

Winter same spot.

Can last until June.

800 HP snow thrower.

But a couple of inches shuts down Seattle.

Last edited by windmill on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm

What make is that rotary? Never saw one with sloped rear engine cover like that.

Thanks for the pictures. Been through Snoqualamie winter and summer a number of times.

Always was a great feeling to top it heading West and a wonder if I would get back when I went East.

I brought a car across the US for my Brother one winter (and worked for me to cheap ride home). Though I had it made when I topped the Pass, then the muffler fell off (got ripped up in a bad storm in Western South Dakota).

Got that lashed up and needed fuel at the bottom of the Pass headed for Winthrop, tank went from full to empty in 5 miles - I was short one lousy clamp to fix it, melted the undercoating, a nice guy gave me a ride to the next gas station (as long as I didn't touch anything in his truck!)

Phone call to my friends and he came and towed me onto his house. Better there than the Wilds of Montana!
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:38 pm

RC20 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm
What make is that rotary? Never saw one with sloped rear engine cover like that.

Thanks for the pictures. Been through Snoqualamie winter and summer a number of times.

Always was a great feeling to top it heading West and a wonder if I would get back when I went East.

I brought a car across the US for my Brother one winter (and worked for me to cheap ride home). Though I had it made when I topped the Pass, then the muffler fell off (got ripped up in a bad storm in Western South Dakota).

Got that lashed up and needed fuel at the bottom of the Pass headed for Winthrop, tank went from full to empty in 5 miles - I was short one lousy clamp to fix it, melted the undercoating, a nice guy gave me a ride to the next gas station (as long as I didn't touch anything in his truck!)

Phone call to my friends and he came and towed me onto his house. Better there than the Wilds of Montana!
Don't know much about them, but they are rather impressive to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATfOaJmpnGI
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

Kaliram

Post by Kaliram » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:28 am

72785108-5CD5-40D5-9939-C34C63F03E25.jpeg
This is how they blow snow in Norway!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current ride: 2019 Ural Gear Up, O.D. Green (“Jyoti”)
Blasts in the past: 2016 Ural Gear Up ("Shanti ")
2012 Ural Gear Up ("Tootles")
2009 KLX250, 2009 KLR650, 2004 BMW R1150GSA, 1966 Honda 305 SuperHawk

“Your life comes with a lifetime guarantee.”

arbalest04062
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by arbalest04062 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm surprised some of the folks from New England haven't chimed in. There is a very dedicated group in southern Maine/NH that do a February camping trip. One year it just happened to be a blizzard for camping weekend. Nobody wimped out.
Once you go hack, you'll never go back.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Tougher than I am.

A group from work (all lower 48ers) decided to go camping one wintry weekend. Picked one of the colder places and the coldest weekend. I think over -20 (F though C converges down there) Pictures looked like WWII Russian Front.

Me? I got to freeze my butt off working in those conditions and lived where we hit -72.

One Freight manager went mountain climbing and they spent 5 days shoveling themselves out just to stay alive.

I still gear up and work outside when its cold and I need to but camping to me is a nice evening, 60 degrees.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

dale914
Comrade
Comrade

Post by dale914 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:39 pm

windmill wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 pm
Lofty wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm
Consider the average travel speeds on Interstate 5. Be honest with yourself when determining if your Ural can keep up, and slow down, in an equally competent manner.
Got a little laugh out of that one. :P

Speed, and Seattle traffic don't belong together in the same paragraph.....or even the same book?
But seriously, traffic speeds in the Puget sound region are really low at best, and well within a Urals capabilities.
Thanks Windmill, I read that and thought he knew something that I didn't about Seattle's traffic. Do they speed up in the snow??? I'm usually concerned that my engine might overheat from going so slow on I5. I'd probably only go to side streets because I5 would be too slow. I could use the train to get to work, but the idea of going down the 5 steep blocks to the Pioneer Square Station sounds so slippery and I'd for sure land on my a$$ and slide all the way down with my 90lbs of luggage.
But Lofty, thank you for the consideration, Seattle traffic sucks, I haven't found out why except that there are so many people going the same direction, it doesn't seem to be the fault of the driver in places like Portland where everyone is determined to be the curious one and let people in front of them at the expense of everyone behind them, or SoCal where everyone sees a brake light and stands on their brake pedal, so far, Seattle just seems to be crowded...
About three times now, I wake up and look out the window at 3am and see that everything is dry, so I put on my jacket and ride out in my uniform pants and boots, about 5 miles out it starts to downpour for the second half of the commute and I show up to work with pee pants and a dry shirt. I just need to always put on my rubber pants and boots before heading out.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:59 pm

dale914 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:39 pm
windmill wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 pm
Lofty wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm
Consider the average travel speeds on Interstate 5. Be honest with yourself when determining if your Ural can keep up, and slow down, in an equally competent manner.
Got a little laugh out of that one. :P

Speed, and Seattle traffic don't belong together in the same paragraph.....or even the same book?
But seriously, traffic speeds in the Puget sound region are really low at best, and well within a Urals capabilities.
Thanks Windmill, I read that and thought he knew something that I didn't about Seattle's traffic. Do they speed up in the snow??? I'm usually concerned that my engine might overheat from going so slow on I5. I'd probably only go to side streets because I5 would be too slow. I could use the train to get to work, but the idea of going down the 5 steep blocks to the Pioneer Square Station sounds so slippery and I'd for sure land on my a$$ and slide all the way down with my 90lbs of luggage.
But Lofty, thank you for the consideration, Seattle traffic sucks, I haven't found out why except that there are so many people going the same direction, it doesn't seem to be the fault of the driver in places like Portland where everyone is determined to be the curious one and let people in front of them at the expense of everyone behind them, or SoCal where everyone sees a brake light and stands on their brake pedal, so far, Seattle just seems to be crowded...
About three times now, I wake up and look out the window at 3am and see that everything is dry, so I put on my jacket and ride out in my uniform pants and boots, about 5 miles out it starts to downpour for the second half of the commute and I show up to work with pee pants and a dry shirt. I just need to always put on my rubber pants and boots before heading out.
Don't worry about overheating in traffic. In 13 years of commuting on a Ural in the Seattle metro area, its never been an issue, and that's with no deep sumps, oil coolers, fans, or other such folderol.

Traffic is so bad because the metro area is a long narrow strip between the mountains and the sound, divided right in the middle by lake Sammamish, lake Washington, and lake Union Running north-south, and a couple of rivers connecting them running east-west. No matter what direction one is going, there's a series of traffic funnels everyone must go through.

Seattle traffic in snow? Forget about it, stay home. When it snows, its just below freezing, so it packs down to white ice. With all the hills, and little in the way of snow removal equipment in the city makes for a real mess in downtown.

Forget trying to predict the rain, just assume it will, and always carry rain gear September to May.
Barry

2018/20 M70

cptred

Post by cptred » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 pm

I am in the midwest and I ride year long, granted I am a weekend rider mostly.

-Blocking the wind is key, also wear layers.
- I dont have heated gear so if it is close to or below zero I don't ride.
-1WD will work fine on winter roads that have been plowed or is less than a few inches. 2WD for off-road or deep snow.
-Water resistant MC pants and jacket is a must- you will get slush splashed on to you.
- I pre-spray the ural with CRC 6-56 in Dec. and reapply as needed. Come spring I do a thorough w@$#
- It is fun to ride in the snow.

Love this video

*not sure why "w a s h" has symbols

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:28 pm

Somebody was having a laugh making it look like a censored swear word :lol:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

GoatTracks

Post by GoatTracks » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:58 pm

I ride pretty much year round as long as its above about 10F. Just for fun on weekends, not for work.

Ridden it down to 5 below but that gets pretty bitter pretty fast.

Snow up to 4" or so is not a problem in 2WD although I'm not typically riding on the highway, just the backroads and gravels. The rolldown canvas fairing on my bike is very helpful although I wind up with a little bit of exhaust fumes sucking back on me from the high exhaust pipes. I rinse the bike off between rides if there's a lot of salt on the road and its warm enough, but don't normally w@$# it cuz mine looks better pig-filthy and in the shape the paint and body is in it doesn't really matter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Shed Door Hoist.JPG
We are running sub -10 for the last few days. Hit -17 last night. Broke a spring in the shed door, temp fix.

Not going anywhere we don't have to. Been 10 years since we had a cold spell like this.

Loving I am not on call-out and the managers get to enjoy all the screams about " we are freezing*" and don't know how to help it out.

*We are freezing means its 70 degrees instead of 73.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

SD9

Post by SD9 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 pm

I just moved to Idaho from Washington State. I’ve ridden my Ural about a half a dozen times this winter and it takes two wheel drive to get to the highway from my community. I run Heidenau tires exclusively. I’ve found these tires to be excellent in the snow. The problem with two wheel drive is if you encounter snow free pavement you have to place the bike back in one wheel drive. These bikes are difficult to turn in two wheel drive unless your on snow or dirt. You will also get torque wind up on clear pavement in two wheel drive that could damage your final drive. I never run two wheel drive on gravel roads as I’ve found it unnecessary. I ran a windshield in the Seattle area and it was nice for rain. I used to commute from Granite Falls to Seattle on my Ural. These bikes are comfortable at the speed limit on interstate 5 and your allowed in the HOV lane.
Mike Burks
2013 Gobi Desert Gear Up
1969 Rokon
1970 Cessna150
2001 Go-4 Interceptor three wheeler
2001 R1150GS

mtrdrms
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mtrdrms » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm

I bought my current ural so I could ride to work all year. When I was communting on my GS, I found I would lose about 15 days a year to black ice and deep snow. With my 2wd (which I'm still not convinced I NEED) I have cut that to 0.
On a side note, no amount of ACF or Fluid Film will keep the rust away if you're gonna grind it all year here.
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol