Broke the Pusher on Day One!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Broke the Pusher on Day One!

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:23 pm

If its an aluminum rim - GO STEEL - IF YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT - try HOLOWPAW IN FL 0r TERRY CRAWFORD - For a good used steel wheel for the pusher - then see what URAL will do for you on the other wheels - they could kill you. I don't mind aluminum on a sport solo - but I don't trust them on a sidecar outfit - call me old fashioned.
Might even consider a spare wheel/tire & mount. I like them.

Best wishes for a satisfactory solution.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Geno89074 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 am

Sorry for your troubles!!
Similar experience but had to wait an extra couple weeks to pick up my used 2014 Patrol from a non-ural dealership I bought it from due to the side car wheel being cracked.
I hope imz north america can get you a warranty replacement...
Best of Luck!!
2014 Ural Patrol

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:13 am

OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 pm
stagewex wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm
That is some incredible crack. Happened when you were riding on the rim after the flat?

Why didn't you put your spare on?
No the crack was first, then the flat. I actually felt it and had time to think "that was weird" before the tire lost pressure.

I started to put the spare on, but then realized that the spare I have will only work on the front tire and the sidecar tire. The pusher is laced up totally differently. At that point I rolled up the (comprehensive) Tool kit and called the dealership for extraction. The guys at Alamo Cycle Plex had a trailer out to me in about half an hour! I'm not sure if they will, or even can fix it there, but they seem super eager to do what they can.

Well, the eagerness to do what they can is at least a good sign. Problem with buying from a dealer that took something in as a trade I guess totally alien from what they actually sell. There's no previous owner to talk to or go thru things with you. Or a dealer "in the know".

On the older Urals like my 2007 yes... the pusher was obviously a different set-up than the front & hack wheels. But there is an adapter to make it work at least temporarily on all 3 wheels. That was an extra purchase item for I think just a few bucks bought from Crawfords and carried in my tool kit. I'm not sure if someone made it or it was a factory accessory?

I would have assumed (always gets you in trouble) that such an adapter came with the newer rigs too and the way you describe it now the rear/pusher is the stepchild when it comes to using the spare? Wonder if there is something in your kit that alleviates this?

When they first went to the aluminum wheels they did change vendors after a year or two because of defects. Just were not set-up for heavy sidecar duty. Your's looks like it was a grenade ready to happen and God Bless you were not on the highway at speed. Like the other guys said get in touch with the Mothership and they will sort it out for you. That is the worst example I've ever seen and does not bode well for your other 3 wheels either.

Just a note about the steel wheels. They were made at the factory. There were a couple years where there were crack defects too (2011-2012?). Yes they were kinda stronger than the aluminum. But for the most part they were not actually round depending on how the welder did his work that particular day. I had sent my original steels to Buchanon's for lacing and real spokes. They rejected 2 of the rims because no matter how much they compensated they were so out-of-round that even they could not safely make them work. I had Terry go thru his pile of rims and "send me a good one".
So going steel like I have would probably be a step going backwards for you. Just got a bad pig-in-the-poke wheel-wise.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:17 am

It's too late now but your spare will fit in all 3 locations. It's laced different because it has a different hub than the pusher. That's also why it says not to exceed 55mph on the rim of the spare. I would not let it sit at a non Ural dealers shop waiting on a repair. I also wouldn't wait on Jason to return your call. It's been my experience that the best way to speak with him is to call constantly until you reach him. I have pdf files that show how to use the spare in all 3 locations but they're too large to post as attachment. I'm more than happy to email them to you though.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:13 am

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:24 am

yep those are the pdf's i have
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 am

OleanderSalad wrote:
stagewex wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm
That is some incredible crack. Happened when you were riding on the rim after the flat?

Why didn't you put your spare on?
No the crack was first, then the flat. I actually felt it and had time to think "that was weird" before the tire lost pressure.

I started to put the spare on, but then realized that the spare I have will only work on the front tire and the sidecar tire. The pusher is laced up totally differently. At that point I rolled up the (comprehensive) Tool kit and called the dealership for extraction. The guys at Alamo Cycle Plex had a trailer out to me in about half an hour! I'm not sure if they will, or even can fix it there, but they seem super eager to do what they can.

I believe you need one of these to adapt the spare to fit in the pusher position:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55511
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am

Yes, what Darrel says, go put your spare on the bike and get it home where it belongs. Don't leave it at the dealer that you've basically said isn't really going to be able to help you anyway.
Stagewex

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am

stagewex wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am
Yes, what Darrel says, go put your spare on the bike and get it home where it belongs. Don't leave it at the dealer that you've basically said isn't really going to be able to help you anyway.
Yeah, I should probably have just had them take it to my house instead. I have to evaluate all of this stuff today. If they can do anything to expedite the repair I will be surprised. But I hold out hope. Super nice folks, but I'm hoping it's more than just "Texas Nice". :)

I spoke with mothership in Redmond yesterday and they are checking to see what can be done from their end.

Sad, I was expecting to spend Thanksgiving in gratitude for a new Ural, now I'm going to be spending it grateful I wasn't killed by one. :)
2016 Grey Metallic Gear Up, "Lexi" (CV-16)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:06 am

You still can have fun riding on Thanksgiving. Just put the spare on and don't go screwing around in the woods or super slab. How many motorcycles even have a spare? And not all Urals have them either.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours for smiles of fun and safe motoring.
Stagewex

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:32 am

stagewex wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:06 am
You still can have fun riding on Thanksgiving. Just put the spare on and don't go screwing around in the woods or super slab. How many motorcycles even have a spare? And not all Urals have them either.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours for smiles of fun and safe motoring.
Stagewex is true hero of soviet union. Help comrade see day of light!

I thought I needed an adapter to use the spare as a pusher, but the pdf dropped the penny. Just need to transfer the disk to it!

This is brilliant! New plan! Go to stealership and change out the spare, ride it home slowly and carefully, then enjoy my new Ural until I get a new wheel assembly.... courtesy of Ural USA if at all possible. That would be great. Super great if it came with a new tire already installed on it. And super-duper great if it did all that before Christmas! :)

I guess there is a risk that the spare could break as well, but hey... if you want to be safe, get a Volvo, right?
2016 Grey Metallic Gear Up, "Lexi" (CV-16)

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:45 am

Excellent plan fellow Uralist! Way to change your point of view. You will feel closer than ever to your new toy after experiencing some pain with it. Enjoy your new ride and Happy Thanksgiving.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 am

OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:23 pm
Thanks Lofty. I called and left a message for Jason to call me back. I'll keep trying
Keep in mind there's only a dozen folks running IMWA, and they might be hard to get in contact with this close to a holiday. Be persistent and send an e-mail too. There's a real good chance they won't leave you hanging on your own.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:06 pm

Hope IMZ is able to help you out with your wheel! :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:43 pm
It's "extended service". It was a grand and change
Holy sh!t .. :o

OleanderSalad wrote:
I started to put the spare on, but then realized that the spare I have will only work on the front tire and the sidecar tire.
Ah I remember something about this. Yours is all disc brakes, that means the spare is ONLY for the pusher (it's to do with the size and shape of the 3 different disc rotor adapters, altho the spare wheel looks the same as the others it won't in fact go on the front or sidecar, or at least not easily, because the adapters are all different) – AND, you have to take the disc rotor off the pusher and put in onto the spare, that in itself is fraught with aggro if the screws are seized. The whole business is a right faff. But I remember that the spare has the small hub, while the GU pusher has the large hub. Apparently this is because it is 19" wheel. A CT, like mine, doesn't have the large hub presumably because the rim is 18". Even so, albeit all the wheels appear identical they are in fact different because of the varied designs and positions of the disc rotor adapter / spacer. So in theory you should be able to put the spare on the rear and make it usable.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")