Broke the Pusher on Day One!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Broke the Pusher on Day One!

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:58 pm

Well, crap!

I took custody of my '16 Ural GU this morning and had a VERY happy afternoon getting to know her, until...

Driving along a smooth residential street I feel and hear a very un-good 'pop', then the rear tire goes flat. I pulled the pump out of the trunk but then realized the hoop was cracked about half way around the rim!

The Honda dealership I bought it (as is) from hauled it back to their shop, but I don't think they want to even work on it, let alone share any of the burden for fixing it.

The real pisser is that I had got an (expensive) dealer warranty, but when I called them I found out that the wheels aren't covered! Strike Two!

So how do I move forward?

I can get a hoop, nipples and spokes from my local Ural dealership for around 400, or the whole back wheel assembly for around 600. I'll probably do that since it's the same time to get it in, and I'm pretty sure I could handle putting on the tire and wheel assembly myself. I've rebuilt spoke wheels before. It was a long time ago, but if memory serves, it's worth $200 bucks to not have to do it. :)

New to the forum so not sure if this is the best place for this dog of a post, but any advice on how to deal with this and get my steed back under my butt ASAP will be greatly appreciated.

:cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Grey Metallic Gear Up, "Lexi" (CV-16)

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Broke the Pusher on Day One!

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:05 pm

My kids had a good time hanging out with me waiting for the trailer. My daughter took a short nap in the bucket :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Lofty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:22 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:58 pm
The Honda dealership I bought it (as is) from hauled it back to their shop, but I don't think they want to even work on it, let alone share any of the burden for fixing it.

The real pisser is that I had got an (expensive) dealer warranty, but when I called them I found out that the wheels aren't covered!
I'm sorry to read about your bad luck, on Day One no less.

If you're having second thoughts about the warranty, does Texas provide consumers with the ability to cancel a contract during the first 72 hours that it's in force? See the last paragraph here: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... 30246.html

I ask because of your comments regarding the price of the warranty, the absence of coverage for a straightforward equipment defect (the broken wheel), and particularly your suggestion that the selling dealer may not want to work on the rig at all, or assist in the repair costs.

Are you sure you purchased a warranty, or was it in fact an extended service contract? The two are separate and distinct. If it was the latter, the unwillingness of the dealer to provide assistance with the wheel replacement would make more sense here.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:29 pm

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm going to hope this gets all the bad luck out of the system.

What's going to really suck is sitting on it in my driveway making motorcycle noises for 4--6 weeks waiting for the wheel to come in.

(Of course is depressing. Is Russian way.)

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:41 pm

There have been three Urals in the Wilmington NC area with cracked rims
Contact Jason at the mothership (Ural USA) he should be able to help on a warranty claim
19?? Dnepr MT16

2008 Gear Up / Orange camo
130/45 one shim
drilled slides

A statement I live by.
Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:43 pm

Lofty wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:22 pm
OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:58 pm

The real pisser is that I had got an (expensive) dealer warranty, but when I called them I found out that the wheels aren't covered!

If you're having second thoughts about the warranty, does Texas provide consumers with the ability to cancel a contract during the first 72 hours that it's in force? See the last paragraph here: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... 30246.html

I ask because of your comments regarding the price of the warranty, the absence of coverage for a straightforward equipment defect (the broken wheel), and particularly your suggestion that the selling dealer may not want to work on the rig at all, or assist in the repair costs.

Are you sure you purchased a warranty, or was it in fact an extended service contract? The two are separate and distinct. If it was the latter, the unwillingness of the dealer to provide assistance with the wheel replacement would make more sense here.
It's "extended service". It was a grand and change and covers engine, power-train, breaks, electric, instruments, towing, etc...Everything BUT wheels/tires. They offered that for 300 more, and I could kick myself for thinking, "Urals are sturdy off road machines, no way I'm going to break a wheel."

I'm calling the credit union I got the loan from tomorrow to explore the option of reneging on the whole enchilada. I can't afford any more money-pits. Texas has a lemon law, but I'm not sure what it takes to invoke that.

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:46 pm

sallen wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:41 pm
There have been three Urals in the Wilmington NC area with cracked rims
Contact Jason at the mothership (Ural USA) he should be able to help on a warranty claim
Thanks, I'll give it a shot but the warranty is expired. Some wealthy toy collector let it run out wile it was sitting in his garage. I got an extended service plan from the dealership, but it does not cover wheels for some reason. :|

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Doesn't matter, it's a manufacturing defect. Ural had a recall on rims. What is the date code on your rims?
Last edited by sallen on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19?? Dnepr MT16

130/45 one shim
drilled slides

A statement I live by.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:55 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:43 pm
It's "extended service". It was a grand and change and covers engine, power-train, breaks, electric, instruments, towing, etc... Everything BUT wheels/tires.

I'm calling the credit union I got the loan from tomorrow to explore the option of reneging on the whole enchilada. I can't afford any more money-pits. Texas has a lemon law, but I'm not sure what it takes to invoke that.
With respect, OS, trading the expense of a wheel replacement for a damaged credit rating may not be the best way here.

As suggested, do reach out to Ural HQ in Redmond for their input on the matter. A satisfactory resolution may be available to you. A written letter illustrates serious intent, but for the sake of expediency, there's also Facebook Messenger.

Ural Motorcycles
14700 NE 95th St.
Suite 102
Redmond, WA 98052
(425) 702-8484
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:02 pm

sallen wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:49 pm
Doesn't matter, it's a manufacturing defect. Ural had a recall on rims. What is the date cone on your rims?
Well that would be good news on this otherwise bleak day!

I'm not sure what a date 'cone' is, and the bike is now sitting in the dealership's garage awaiting trial...

I DID see this number zoomed in on one of the damage photos I took and I'm thinking it looks like "1 19 /.2.15" so... Feb 2nd, 2015 maybe?

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Fat fingers typing error, code not cone
19?? Dnepr MT16

130/45 one shim
drilled slides

A statement I live by.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:17 pm

OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:02 pm
I DID see this number zoomed in on one of the damage photos I took and I'm thinking it looks like "1 19 /.2.15" so... Feb 2nd, 2015 maybe?
No. That reads "J19x2.15". It's the nomenclature for the wheel size. Identical markings are evident on the 19" wheels of my Gear Up.

On my wheel, just adjacent to the aforementioned nomenclature, is the production date: Dec 2016. The production date stamps should be evident on your wheel(s), also.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:23 pm

Lofty wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:55 pm
OleanderSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:43 pm
It's "extended service". It was a grand and change and covers engine, power-train, breaks, electric, instruments, towing, etc... Everything BUT wheels/tires.

With respect, OS, trading the expense of a wheel replacement for a damaged credit rating may not be the best way here.

As suggested, do reach out to Ural HQ in Redmond for their input on the matter. A satisfactory resolution may be available to you. A written letter illustrates serious intent, but for the sake of expediency, there's also Facebook Messenger.

Ural Motorcycles
14700 NE 95th St.
Suite 102
Redmond, WA 98052
(425) 702-8484
Thanks Lofty. I called and left a message for Jason to call me back. I'll keep trying

The recall stuff I see from a simple google search seems to be limited to 2012, but I'm reading posts about it being a recent problem for a lot of people. Needs more investigation on that front.

Yeah, prob WON'T do the renego thing unless it's just too expensive to move forward. Fortunately I'm off tomorrow so I can try to reach that verdict.

Steering was super sloppy at first. Previous owner had the damper screwed all the way in. Once I opened it about half-way it firmed up and I fell in love with it. Drove around some sun dappled fall streets, did the car-flying exercises with some ballast in a parking lot... I'd even built enough confidence to go home and see who wanted the first ride.... but noooooooooooooooooooooo.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm

That is some incredible crack. Happened when you were riding on the rim after the flat?

Why didn't you put your spare on?
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 pm

stagewex wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm
That is some incredible crack. Happened when you were riding on the rim after the flat?

Why didn't you put your spare on?
No the crack was first, then the flat. I actually felt it and had time to think "that was weird" before the tire lost pressure.

I started to put the spare on, but then realized that the spare I have will only work on the front tire and the sidecar tire. The pusher is laced up totally differently. At that point I rolled up the (comprehensive) Tool kit and called the dealership for extraction. The guys at Alamo Cycle Plex had a trailer out to me in about half an hour! I'm not sure if they will, or even can fix it there, but they seem super eager to do what they can.