You still drive a stick?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
LegoMan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: You still drive a stick?

Post by LegoMan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 am

When I was a teenager, an older acquantance threw me his keys and asked me to move his truck. I stared at the three on the tree for about five minutes trying to figure it out. Eventually he came over and said, "Get out! That's what happens when you put someone in a vehicle that's older than he is!"
Nate

Current Rides:
2017 Gear Up
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1986 Suzuki Cavalcade (Project)

Former Rides:
1989 Suzuki Katana 650
1974 Yamaha 650 Special

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:28 am

I recently bought a VW Jetta and sold the Colorado Pick Up (manual).
I tried out a few VW's and decided the 6 speed auto was just fine. In Fact better than the manual. It performs really well and keeps the engine in power at all times. In S mode it holds the gear longer and has more instant power.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:50 am

The wife has a CVT thing.........(she had it before I had any input)....... I can never seem to get into the engine rhythm. Not a big fan.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:57 am

Tin Man wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:40 pm
...I thought I was the cats azz.......until I climbed up in a cousins semi with its gazillion speed road ranger transmission. :roll:
I’m another who makes their living behind the wheel... my current ride is a 70,000 lb mixer (a “cement truck” to the lay person)

At one point Julie’s daughter needed to move her boyfriend’s pickup, she asked me if I knew how to drive a 5 speed... I told her “I’m not sure... but I’m a wiz with an 11 speed...” she asked why my mixer needed 11 gears... I told her that, from a stop, I can use up 4 or 5 of them just getting across an intersection... the blank look on her face was priceless :lol:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Many years ago I drove for a concrete company, and one of the trucks had 5 shift levers on the floor
1; primary 4 speed transmission.
2; 3 speed underdrive/overdrive.
3; 2 speed axle splitter.
4; front axle drive.
5; pto.
Most shifting was done using the 4 speed, and splitter. Add in the overdrive for the highway, and underdrive off pavement or steep hills. Not paying attention wasn't an option, but it could be a distraction as it was awful easy to grab the wrong lever.

I've also driven a "super 10" where one splits each gear before shifting to the next, 1st - to 1st split up, split down and shift to 2nd - 2nd split up, split down and shift to 3rd- 3rd split up, split down and shift to 4th- 4th split up, split down and shift to 5th- 5th split up. Downshifting is the same reversed.

13 speeds with 2 splitters are much easier, basically shifting through the standard pattern 3 times in succession.

3 cheers for automatic transmissions. :clap:
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:20 pm

I had my Jetta in for new tires. The service kid comes in and sez "that green VW has a dead battery, it won't turn over" I mention the clutch has to be all the way in for it to start. The deer-in-the-headlight-what's-a-clutch? look he gave me was priceless.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Tin Man wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:50 am
The wife has a CVT things.........(she had it before I had any input)....... I can never seem to get into the engine rhythm. Not a big fan.
CVT tech has come a long way since it first reached our shores in the form of the little Subaru Justy (remember them?) What matters now is how well the transmission is designed and adapted to the vehicle in which it is installed.

Anyway...Mrs. Lofty recently purchased a new Honda CR-V. It has a CVT transmission. Honda tuned it to perform in a manner very similar to a traditional automatic transmission. In most driving conditions, the CVT is pretty unobtrusive. Only when I turn off Economy Mode* and put my foot in it will I observe the engine speed being held a bit higher, a bit longer, than I would expect with a regular slushbox. It's fairly in sync with the turbocharged engine, so that any lag is pretty well camouflaged. Forward motion is smooth and linear.

*Economy Mode dials back the throttle response and the climate control output in order to return higher average fuel economy. It really works. Once you get used to it, and you don't otherwise need max cooling and/or hard acceleration, it's a good feature to have.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:59 pm

My neighbor taught me how to plow snow at 14yrs old in a mid '70's IHC Scout, V8 4spd, but I got spoiled with low range and V8 torque that I never really learned how to operate a clutch in the friction zone.

When I started working at the car dealership at 16 and had to really learn how to drive stick it was on a Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4. Twin Turbo 320hp and All Wheel Drive. Again kinda spoils you since you can basically gun it, drop the clutch and the car just hooks up and goes. So then the next endeavor was plowing that same car dealership with the early 80's K5 Blazer with a 3spd on the column.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Actually, my first car...a 1962 Chevy Nova...was an automatic. Very unusual at the time. Since then, never had another. Presently have a six-speed Forester. Smooth as glass and very comfortable. But I’m guessing it’ll be an automatic something or other come spring. No critical physical issues so far, but a wonky knee has put me on point. Sometime soon, pumping a clutch won’t be an option. On a brighter note, also age related, I’m not looking for any long-haul motorcycle trips anymore. However, the wife and I have a grand plan that includes trailering The Pearl to within comfortable reach of some of the rides we’ve missed. I’m figuring an automatic rig will make a better tractor. That’s the plan....fingers crossed and knocking wood.
Way Out Western NY
2018 Gear Up; The Black Pearl
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2002 Honda Metropolitan II
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Yep, 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Every rig I've ever owned in the last four(!) decades has been a stick, including a "three on the tree" '67 Chevy pickup I had in the late 1970s as a poor college kid.; the rest were four, five, or six on the floor.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

Michal
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Michal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:59 pm

Lee Pape wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 am
When I used to work and commute daily I likes to have a stick. Living in Iowa we do get snow during the winter. With a stick it let me choose the gear that felt best to me for the conditions at the time. The best car that I ever owned for winter driving was a Geo Metro. It had a 3 cylinder engine with a 5 speed gear box. It's lack of horsepower and the 155/80-13 tires helped a lot in the snow.
3 cylinder car engine is a thing in USA? :o
As almost everyone in Europe, all I know about USA is what I've seen in movies. Based on that most people here think that all cars in the USA are V8 powered because an American would never buy a car with engine of cylinder count other than eight. Even the BMW factory developed their first V8 in early 90' for US market. BMW already had V12, but that's not the proper cylinder count for US customer.
So, there are exceptions to that rule?

Well, don't take me seriously, I'm not that retarded, but I just find it hilarious how much is the movie based image off the real world. :-)
By my deeds I honor him, flat twin.
Михаил
2002 Днепр 650 Молодежный Чоппер (КМЗ-8.157.022)
2005 Урал 750 Спортсман (2WD)

makarov

Post by makarov » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Michal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:59 pm

3 cylinder car engine is a thing in USA? :o
As almost everyone in Europe, all I know about USA is what I've seen in movies. Based on that most people here think that all cars in the USA are V8 powered because an American would never buy a car with engine of cylinder count other than eight. Even the BMW factory developed their first V8 in early 90' for US market. BMW already had V12, but that's not the proper cylinder count for US customer.
So, there are exceptions to that rule?

Well, don't take me seriously, I'm not that retarded, but I just find it hilarious how much is the movie based image off the real world. :-)
Geo was a GM brand but the 3-cyl engine was a Suzuki engine. They had a partnership of sorts with Suzuki at the time. Very common for USA auto makers to rebrand entire cars or parts of them beginning in the 1970s.

Most of what non-USA countries see on TV, movies, or news is stereotyped. It's unfortunate. That being said, I'm too lazy to search for it but I'd bet someone has done a study on the average engine type of cars sold in the USA and I'd bet that it would be a 4 cylinder engine. A lot of the full sized pickup trucks ('Murica!) have V6 engines as the standard engine. V8 engines in the USA were very common in cars in the 1960's and 1970's but that was 40 or 50 years ago and most of the average V8s were very low horsepower.
2016 Ural Gear Up 2WD
Ural owner since 2009

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:08 pm

makarov wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 pm
Most of what non-USA countries see on TV, movies, or news is stereotyped.
A cameo appearance by the Road Runner in Tokyo Drift went a long way or reinforce our supposed infatuation with 8 cylinder muscle cars...

Never seen the movie, don't have it on my watch list... but the "kids" (millennials) at work couldn't stop talking about the movie when it came out... never mind the fact that my Duramax was probably the only V8 engine in the entire employee parking lot...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 pm

80's K5 Blazer with a 3spd on the column.
I thought only Ford had those! Two Broncos with the 3 on three tree.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:43 am

I drove a lot of stuff up on the AK Pipeline (and 5 speed dump truck with the electric splitter in the differential before that - pure junk)

I pretty well figured I had seen it all until they put me in a Mack Dumptruck one day.

Ok, big lever and a small one (and the labels were all worn off). 20 minutes latter I found revere and got backed up and loaded, off I went not sure what was what but the big stick was at least a 4 speed.

then the dump guy is yelling at me because I can't fine reverse again. 10 minutes of messing with boht levers and I accidently get it in reversr again, dump my load, accidentally get it out and off for another load.

Except its, this is stupid, I got to figure out this thing.

After about 30 minutes I had it sorted. The big stick was a 5 speed. The small one was forward, neutral and revers.

What it means was you could put the thing in reverse and then shift going backwards with the main and get up to higher speeds than I ever had a straight run for. Some hills we had to turn around on top of to dump down the other side (turnover hazard in the middle) and I could pass trucks ooozing along.

My guess was it was a causeway dumping setup where you had a narrow causeway and just had to back up a long ways.

5 speeds shifting going backwards, pretty interesting - same range as forward near as I could tell.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems